i think I can talk myself into giving Shafer more time | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

i think I can talk myself into giving Shafer more time

i don't think it's a very good sample

again i just shared the link because i thought it was interesting, i was pretty

explosiveness isn't the only factor. turnovers do still matter. being explosive throwing the ball forward is much better than being explosive throwing the ball backward.

i think kevin kelly likes the attention and now that other people are catching on that punting sucks, he's looking for new ways to be different. i've been hollering about punting for over 15 years on the board, i'm not patting myself on the back for it, just pointing out that it doesn't begin and end with kevin kelly

i haven't seen good data about it - i suspect a lot of what's considered explosive are teams that need to go 80 yards tossing the ball around and gaining 30 as the game ends

there is no sample of teams that have multiple laterals in regular game situation. kelly might be right but it's a hypothesis at this point
Well, ok. I'm not trying to put you in a corner here. Just trying to understand how you could cite an article equating success with trick plays, and then claim that trick plays are a waste of time. I think having at least 3 players touch the ball in a single play is "trick" by anyone's definition .. and that's what kelly says is a winning formula ("20+").

Last edited:
Well, ok. I'm not trying to put you in a corner here. Just trying to understand how you could cite an article equating success with trick plays, and then claim that trick plays are a waste of time. I think having at least 3 players touch the ball in a single play is "trick" by anyone's definition .. and that's what kelly says is a winning formula ("20+").
I posted a link in a different thread. people talk about kelly a lot so i shared it. in that thread I said i didn't agree with him. i didn't cite it talking about explosive plays. i referred to bill connelly's 5 factor stuff. connelly interviewed kelly, maybe that's the confusion.

be explosive like baylor, not like brisbane or papau new guinea