I think the days of seeing a 2000 career point scorer | Syracusefan.com

I think the days of seeing a 2000 career point scorer

retro44

Living Legend
is long over here at Syracuse. Even to see a kid getting to 1,500 to 1,600 career total is going to be a real stretch now.

The NBA says good luck boys...

Fair was less than 400 off. I don't think it's done yet, but usually our freshman 4 year guys don't get the minutes to that.

is long over here at Syracuse. Even to see a kid getting to 1,500 to 1,600 career total is going to be a real stretch now.

You never know. Cooney has 1417 but he only had 133 his freshman year. He still has 14 regular season games. If he averages 16 ppg in those games and at least four more games in the ACC and post season (NCAA or NIT or one of those other ones), that would give him 1481 total. Maybe not 2000 but still a good career for someone who has averaged 10 pts a game.

A player who can hit threes and does not have NBA size/athleticism is the best bet. They'd have to get good minutes as a freshman but it's doable.

cliftonparksufan said:
You never know. Cooney has 1417 but he only had 133 his freshman year. He still has 14 regular season games. If he averages 16 ppg in those games and at least four more games in the ACC and post season (NCAA or NIT or one of those other ones), that would give him 1481 total. Maybe not 2000 but still a good career for someone who has averaged 10 pts a game.

Think you meant 1705.

Looking at just the non-mid-majors (what do we call them? majors?), There's somewhat of a theme during the one-and-done era. White and not particularly big or athletic.

Tyler Hansbrough - White, not athletic, short for his position.

JJ Redick - White, not athletic, average height for his position.

Luke Harangody - see Tyler Hansbrough.

Kyle Singler - White, very skinny even as a senior, not athletic, 'tweener'.

Looking at just the non-mid-majors (what do we call them? majors?), There's somewhat of a theme during the one-and-done era. White and not particularly big or athletic.

Tyler Hansbrough - White, not athletic, short for his position.

JJ Redick - White, not athletic, average height for his position.

Luke Harangody - see Tyler Hansbrough.

Kyle Singler - White, very skinny even as a senior, not athletic, 'tweener'.
Of course Sorrentine and Copperrath are on that list. Ugghhh!!!

Think you meant 1705.
No, actually I meant to say that he currently has 1193 points (not 1417). The other numbers are right if he averages 16 a game from here on in. He would finish somewhere around 1481 for his career, which would put him between Kris Joseph and Louie Orr for four year players. And if you play 144 games, like Stevie T did, (31 regular season and 5 post season a year) he averaged only 13.6 a game to finish just shy of 2000 (1956).
http://www.orangehoops.org/syracuse top 100 scorers.htm

I thought I said here at Syracuse.

eh. we have only had 6 total 2000 point scorers and all of them have happened since 1989. we had 2 10 years ago and Devo would have definitely gotten there had he not been kicked out.

Its just a really hard thing to accomplish but someone can come in and do it.

the days of DC, Hak, Wallace and probably Sherm getting to 2000 are done though. It is going to have to be a GMac or Moten type player who doesnt translate to the NBA.

I thought I said here at Syracuse.

I think the conversation turned to all teams, instead of just SU, because the reason we probably won't have one again is the same reason other power programs won't see one again.

I think the conversation turned to all teams, instead of just SU, because the reason we probably won't have one again is the same reason other power programs won't see one again.
But aside from Fair our bubble players always leave. See: Marcus Paige vs. Tyler Ennis. Hell, even non-bubble players leave SU (McCullough). I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Richardson and Lydon leave the program for a chance at getting drafted after this season ends.

But aside from Fair our bubble players always leave. See: Marcus Paige vs. Tyler Ennis. Hell, even non-bubble players leave SU (McCullough). I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Richardson and Lydon leave the program for a chance at getting drafted after this season ends.

I have to think Paige is the exception that proves the rule. I haven't followed his career closely but he should have been long gone by now.

Most players with his ability aren't going to stay 4 years. Most players projected to go mid-first round are going to bounce as soon as possible. Ennis was projected borderline lottery and probably figured he wasn't going to improve much over his surprising freshman year. McCullough was gone before he even stepped on campus.

Lydon and Richardson would have to put in some serious work to get themselves projected in the 1st round this season; neither is close right now.

edit: Looks like Paige wasn't ranked highly in the draft projections as an underclassman due mostly to his size.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to think Paige is the exception that proves the rule. I haven't followed his career closely but he should have been long gone by now.

Most players with his ability aren't going to stay 4 years. Most players projected to go mid-first round are going to bounce as soon as possible. Ennis was projected borderline lottery and probably figured he wasn't going to improve much over his surprising freshman year. McCullough was gone before he even stepped on campus.

Lydon and Richardson would have to put in some serious work to get themselves projected in the 1st round this season; neither is close right now.
Paige is a bit of a puzzle, but he's projected second round in the mocks I've seen. What about Bryce Johnson ... there's a mystery. I mean, 6'9", good movement for a big and a prolific scorer. He's averaging 64% this year (about the same as UNC shot against us in the second half). Those AFAM classes have to be getting old after 4 years .. why hasn't he jumped?

Last edited:
Paige is a bit of a puzzle, but he's projected second round in the mocks I've seen. What about Bryce Johnson ... there's a mystery. I mean, 6'9", good movement for a big and a prolific scorer. He's averaging 64% this year (about the same as UNC scored against us in the second half). Those AFAM classes have to be getting old after 4 years .. why hasn't he jumped?

He had somewhat pedestrian numbers in his freshman and sophomore seasons. His numbers last year don't jump off the page either.

He had somewhat pedestrian numbers in his freshman and sophomore seasons. His numbers last year don't jump off the page either.
Well, last year his numbers were 13 and 8 per game, in 24 minutes. That's certainly "potential". This year he's lottery.

I guess we shouldn't be too surprised after Rak's situation. Ennis and Grant are another story.

Well, last year his numbers were 13 and 8 per game, in 24 minutes. That's certainly "potential". This year he's lottery.

I guess we shouldn't be too surprised after Rak's situation. Ennis and Grant are another story.

After two seasons, NBA scouts start to discount stats pretty heavily. I think his per 40 minutes numbers from his sophomore year actually should have had him projected in the 1st round, but I don't know if he was. The lack of playing time might have factored in (only 19mpg). I don't think he's coming up on 2,000 points though, so he's like one of the many 4 year forwards we've had, like Fair and Joseph.

Not surprising and will continue to decrease if the NBA implements the additional round in the draft and the 16th/17th roster spots with two-way contracts with the D-League.

After two seasons, NBA scouts start to discount stats pretty heavily. I think his per 40 minutes numbers from his sophomore year actually should have had him projected in the 1st round, but I don't know if he was. The lack of playing time might have factored in (only 19mpg). I don't think he's coming up on 2,000 points though, so he's like one of the many 4 year forwards we've had, like Fair and Joseph.
Here are his numbers .. and you're right ... his freshman and sophomore seasons per 40 he's averaging 20+ and 12+ in the ACC. Those are NBA numbers.
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/brice-johnson-1.html

edit: Looks like Paige wasn't ranked highly in the draft projections as an underclassman due mostly to his size.

Whatever he was ranked bet it's lower after our game with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom