I think what people miss about not just our | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I think what people miss about not just our

Uh... 2007-2013 was pre-sanctions. The sanctions were directly attributable to ending that mini-resurgence, where we had 2 #1 seeds in a four year span, and went to a final four.

To play devil's advocate, how is Louisville handling their sanctions? Granted, ours were much harsher (thank you, Jim Boeheim, for doing that to yourself). But there were penalties levied.
And when you say Louisville is a better program is ours and a "blueblood", I will ask why? We have just as much revenue, attendance, in same conference. Why?

We have out-recruited Georgia Tech on paper since the start of Pastner's run. Let's see how we do against them this year -- they've beaten us three of the last four seasons.

Sure, our success has not been great since the sanctions -- but there were plenty of signs the year we self-imposed the tournament ban, we were heading into a lull.

Lol -- it's 100% true.

That was for the previous scandal, with the strippers and prostitutes.
The point is there were sanctions involved and they are currently the number one team in the country, three years removed.

Sanctions are a convenient excuse for poor recruiting, roster management and lack of skill development.

To play devil's advocate, how is Louisville handling their sanctions? Granted, ours were much harsher (thank you, Jim Boeheim, for doing that to yourself). But there were penalties levied.
And when you say Louisville is a better program is ours and a "blueblood", I will ask why? We have just as much revenue, attendance, in same conference. Why?

We have out-recruited Georgia Tech on paper since the start of Pastner's run. Let's see how we do against them this year -- they've beaten us three of the last four seasons.

Sure, our success has not been great since the sanctions -- but there were plenty of signs the year we self-imposed the tournament ban, we were heading into a lull.
A). Louisville hasn't been sanctioned for their recruiting cheating Adidas scandal. All they've done is self-impose penalties. given that they then turned around and blatantly cheated including offering recruits money while they run already from the NCAA is why they're about to get hammered. But those penalties have not occurred yet.

B). I never said any of those things about Louisville, so I asked you why you attribute them to me? Why?

The point is there were sanctions involved and they are currently the number one team in the country, three years removed.

Sanctions are a convenient excuse for poor recruiting, roster management and lack of skill development.
Nonsense. They got probation, for a previous scandal. You're mixing them up.

They're about to get sanctions -- serious ones -- for flagrantly continuing to cheat when they should have kept their noses clean.

Let's see how they perform then. I think that the coach they hired post-Pitino is terrific; he had Xavier as a consistent top 10 team. But if they get penalties on par with what we got, their recruiting and performance will both dip.

Nonsense. They got probation, for a previous scandal. You're mixing them up.

They're about to get sanctions -- serious ones -- for flagrantly continuing to cheat when they should have kept their noses clean.

Let's see how they perform then. I think that the coach they hired post-Pitino is terrific; he had Xavier as a consistent top 10 team. But if they get penalties on par with what we got, their recruiting and performance will both dip.

The sanctions were not on par, but they gave up 4 scholarships and self imposed an NCAA ban. There were penalties. I’m not mixing anything up.

There should and will be more - we will see how that plays out.

All of this being said, do you honestly believe sanctions are the main reason we are 4-4 in 2019-20? I certainly do not believe that.

The sanctions were not on par, but they gave up 4 scholarships and self imposed an NCAA ban. There were penalties. I’m not mixing anything up.

There should and will be more - we will see how that plays out.

All of this being said, do you honestly believe sanctions are the main reason we are 4-4 in 2019-20? I certainly do not believe that.
Those are not sanctions, those are self-imposed penalties designed to lessen the sanctions they will eventually get nailed for. The penalties are coming. go ahead and find me an article since the Adidas scandal that outlines the NCAA sanctions that have been imposed. I'll wait.

Those are not sanctions, those are self-imposed penalties designed to lessen the sanctions they will eventually get nailed for. The penalties are coming. go ahead and find me an article since the Adidas scandal that outlines the NCAA sanctions that have been imposed. I'll wait.
I never said that. I said there were sanctions. Please look at the link I posted again. They’re there, clear as crystal. You are also avoiding my question and proving my point.

All of this sanction nonsense is a convenient smokescreen for the real issues within the program.

I never said that. I said there were sanctions. Please look at the link I posted again. They’re there, clear as crystal. You are also avoiding my question and proving my point.

All of this sanction nonsense is a convenient smokescreen for the real issues within the program.
LOL, this is classic. so, as long as we're both now admitting that the NCAA has not imposed sanctions, then at least that's progress.

We have whiffed on every major recruiting target with the exception of Joe and Guerrier. We have one starter, Hughes on our roster who would start on other ACC teams. Buddy, Joe, Marek, Sid would all come off the bench. We used to have guys on our bench who would start for other teams. The bottom line is that we are not a very talented team compared to past SU squads and current ACC teams. To finish at or above 500 this year would be a major accomplishment. In order to improve we need some game ready grad transfers at the forward position. Hughes is our best player and most likely gone after this year. Lets hope the guys improve and JB coaches them up.

LOL, this is classic. so, as long as we're both now admitting that the NCAA has not imposed sanctions, then at least that's progress.
Clearly you have reading comprehension issues.

There were two separate instances where Louisville has been in the crosshairs of the NCAA. The first one resulted in sanctions. The second one has yet to be resolved.

The first one has resulted in zero impact on the program despite losing 4 scholarships and self imposing an NCAA Tournament ban. There were other things (again, please see the link above).

Please answer the question: Do you believe sanctions are the main reason we are 4-4 and staring at our first losing season in 40 years?

There were two separate instances where Louisville has been in the crosshairs of the NCAA. The first one resulted in sanctions. The second one has yet to be resolved.

The first one has resulted in zero impact on the program despite losing 4 scholarships and self imposing an NCAA Tournament ban. There were other things (again, please see the link above).

Please answer the question: Do you believe sanctions are the main reason we are 4-4 and staring at our first losing season in 40 years?

Okay, Pinnochio.

Louisville has not received sanctions from the NCAA for the Adidas scandal. That is an indisputable fact. You posting an article from an unrelated, previous incident doesn't change that fact. Nor does you attempting to redefine the term "sanctions" to avoid admitting that the article you posted had nothing to do with what was being discussed.

Because they were on probation for the previous, unrelated incident when their assistant coach got caught on wiretap asking for a recruit to be paid, the NCAA is going to absolutely drop the hammer on them. Knowing that this is imminent, Louisville has self-penalized in an attempt to lessen what those sanctions will be. But those self-imposed measures are not "sanctions" by any definition -- they are damage control against the coming sanctions.

Louisville has not been punished by the NCAA for attempting to pay players, while on probation for the unrelated incident. Period. End of story. When they are punished, then I think there will be a drop off in recruiting, on-court performance because the sanctions are going to be severe. How and what those impacts will be --TBD. But to suggest that they been sanctioned for the Adidas related situation is patently false.

As for your question, no I do not believe that the sanctions are the main reason we are 4-4 and struggling. I have no idea why you continue trying to attribute that straw man argument to me. I have been extremely clear, dating back to last year, that I am ready for a change at the helm, and a clean break from JB. Our start this year only reinforces that it is past time for change.

Last edited:
Reactions: 007

In my opinion the main reason we are 4-4 is the lost of 3 forwards that should be on the roster. Taurean Thompson (tampered with and would be starting here) Matthew Moyer (who my or my not have been able to help us) and Oshae Brissett (Who would be starting next to Thompson all things being even)

Our system requires skilled forwards, and we have lost all of our depth in our most important position.

recruiting but everywhere in the country is that things have changed. And they changed when all of these freshman started coming our early. 20 to 30 years ago, even great players stayed until their Jr years. That meant if you were Kentucky and got three 5 star players, and they didn't leave, the next years 5 star players wouldn't go to Kentucky because they wouldn't start or be the man. That freed up other schools like Syracuse, UConn and others to come in and get 5 star kids in the next years group. Ewing stayed all 4 years. As did D Coleman. Now, the freshman at Duke, Kentucky leave so they have to be replaced. That pushes the other players in the recruiting game back to the 35 to 90 top 100 range.

Could not agree more. And getting more disruptive every year. It used to be sure fire lottery selections were the only early departures. Now it's not uncommon for players with no projection of being drafted at all are putting in their obligatory year then leaving for a possible G League landing spot. Will be interesting to see what happens when the new NBA CBA does away with the one year rule and allows kids to go directly from High School to play for pay.

How is Louisville not a better program? It's insane to think we're on their level.

Personally, I blame GMAC.

I know it's a running joke around here but has anybody actually brought up positive points about his coaching/recruiting or anything? Hell he even sounds like a robot on radio commercials. I think his radio chops are as good as his coaching.

I know it's a running joke around here but has anybody actually brought up positive points about his coaching/recruiting or anything? Hell he even sounds like a robot on radio commercials. I think his radio chops are as good as his coaching.
Evaluating assistant coaches is pretty difficult. What can you really assign specifically to them as contributions?

I do think that Gerry is an example of the adage that it's not what you know, but who you know, and he's done a good job maximizing his network to get him some place in life.

Which is why I think he needs to leave and prove himself outside of the University and Boeheim shadow.

Evaluating assistant coaches is pretty difficult. What can you really assign specifically to them as contributions?

I do think that Gerry is an example of the adage that it's not what you know, but who you know, and he's done a good job maximizing his network to get him some place in life.

Which is why I think he needs to leave and prove himself outside of the University and Boeheim shadow.

Not saying it's easy, but one way to evaluate is evaluating the players he scouted, recruited and eventually signed to come into the program. Based on those things he has really crapped the bed, but so has JB if he signed off on these guys.

Him calling Marek elite really questions my faith in his scouting.

Not saying it's easy, but one way to evaluate is evaluating the players he scouted, recruited and eventually signed to come into the program. Based on those things he has really crapped the bed, but so has JB if he signed off on these guys.

Honestly I put zero stock in things coaches say publicly. Just absolutely worthless.

Not aimed at you specifically, but I'm not sure the beating GMac takes on this board is based on much real information. For one, the sanctions limited the number of coaches SU could have on the road recruiting, I don't think that GMac had the same opportunities during the sanctions that Hop and Red had. I don't know if it would have mattered, but that's a different question.

With respect to evaluating talent, I'm positive that JB has final say in who we pursue the hardest and who we sign. The Commission on College Basketball increased the opportunities for scouting and evaluation this past year giving staffs collectively more opportunities to scout players in HS, AAU, and camps. Meaning that this will not fall to single coach's opinion.

As for coaching X and Os, unless you guys are at practice...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom