I woke up thismorning | Syracusefan.com

I woke up thismorning

Headmaster 9

2nd String
in VA on the way home & realized it wasn't just a dream, SU beat Duke and we were there!! Our road trip this weekend was amazing.

At Wake -nice team hotel in a good area within walking distance of good food and drinks. Pretty nice campus overall and weather turned nice enough to ditch coats. First time in a long time I can say it was nice to sit back and relax during a game. Walk away w a much needed win. Got to see my sister and her family & got to meet JeremyL. Good dinner right off campus at Village Tavern and an easy drive to Durham.

Arrived at team hotel as they were returning from dinner. Got to see friends and just relax. Sunday was cold, but we braved the weather to visit The Duke campus, which is one of the nicest we have visited . A lot of construction right now so takes away some of the beauty. Watched the Steelers game at a bar close to the hotel, Tobaco Road. Our only loss of the weekend.

Monday went in search of a friend that's on the UNC faculty & had a nice lunch T Mama Dips before heading to Cameron. We had good seats surrounded by season ticket holders. Most were very pleasant inviting us to enjoy loosing at Cameron. And best of all...it was a great venue to watch a game. Highly recommend it to any college b'ball fan.

The team played well and pulled off what many were thinking was impossible- They beat DUKE, making our bucket list game even more memorable.

And, as I mentioned in other posts Obie9 and I are 5 and 0 for away games this year so if you're a bettin man, we plan to go to BC in February

How were the fans at the end of the game towards you? I suspect they ignored you, which is pretty much what we do to the visiting fans (although occasionally I feel compelled to congratulate them if they win. It costs me nothing and brings such good will.).

How were the fans at the end of the game towards you? I suspect they ignored you, which is pretty much what we do to the visiting fans (although occasionally I feel compelled to congratulate them if they win. It costs me nothing and brings such good will.).
Actually , 99% of them were cordial. We were commenting that other than being told to go home by a woman behind us, we really didn't get any grief. A few even agreed that Plumlee clearly took a few extra steps.

We were very orange on campus before the game, during & after and didn't get a jeer. Not from any student or fan.

in VA on the way home & realized it wasn't just a dream, SU beat Duke and we were there!! Our road trip this weekend was amazing.

At Wake -nice team hotel in a good area within walking distance of good food and drinks. Pretty nice campus overall and weather turned nice enough to ditch coats. First time in a long time I can say it was nice to sit back and relax during a game. Walk away w a much needed win. Got to see my sister and her family & got to meet JeremyL. Good dinner right off campus at Village Tavern and an easy drive to Durham.

Arrived at team hotel as they were returning from dinner. Got to see friends and just relax. Sunday was cold, but we braved the weather to visit The Duke campus, which is one of the nicest we have visited . A lot of construction right now so takes away some of the beauty. Watched the Steelers game at a bar close to the hotel, Tobaco Road. Our only loss of the weekend.

Monday went in search of a friend that's on the UNC faculty & had a nice lunch T Mama Dips before heading to Cameron. We had good seats surrounded by season ticket holders. Most were very pleasant inviting us to enjoy loosing at Cameron. And best of all...it was a great venue to watch a game. Highly recommend it to any college b'ball fan.

The team played well and pulled off what many were thinking was impossible- They beat DUKE, making our bucket list game even more memorable.

And, as I mentioned in other posts Obie9 and I are 5 and 0 for away games this year so if you're a bettin man, we plan to go to BC in February

Given the title of your post "I woke up this morning..." I was pretty sure the body of your post would read "and I got myself a beer." But your story was cool, too. Let it roll baby roll. :cool:

Curious what hotel in WS you and the team stayed and what restaurants you ate at. I live in WS and meant to make a trip on Friday night to the Italian Restaurant that JB ate at last year hoping to catch him, but forgot

Curious what hotel in WS you and the team stayed and what restaurants you ate at. I live in WS and meant to make a trip on Friday night to the Italian Restaurant that JB ate at last year hoping to catch him, but forgot
Stayed at a Marriott. We drove down so got in later Friday night. Team didn't get there until 7 ish. Think they ate in Friday night. Went directly to Durham after the game, dinner at A steak house Saturday, dinner at the hotel Sunday .

We ate at the village tavern inWS after the game Saturday. Good food & service.

Stayed at a Marriott. We drove down so got in later Friday night. Team didn't get there until 7 ish. Think they ate in Friday night. Went directly to Durham after the game, dinner at A steak house Saturday, dinner at the hotel Sunday .

We ate at the village tavern inWS after the game Saturday. Good food & service.
We were also in WS on Friday night and ran into the coaching staff, trainers et al at local steak house called Ryans. They did not show up till after 9 on team bus.

Actually , 99% of them were cordial. We were commenting that other than being told to go home by a woman behind us, we really didn't get any grief. A few even agreed that Plumlee clearly took a few extra steps.

We were very orange on campus before the game, during & after and didn't get a jeer. Not from any student or fan.

During the BE days, I went to three Villanova home games because it's about hour from where I live. Each time we lost and the fan base was absolutely brutal to us. It was punishing to endure. Each time I kept hoping we would win. The fourth year I didn't go I think we did win but I had my fill. I went to a lot Rutgers games. Sometimes the Orange fans were not exactly graceful after we won. It's the way it goes.

Glad to hear you had a good experience. You are much braver than I would be!

During the BE days, I went to three Villanova home games because it's about hour from where I live. Each time we lost and the fan base was absolutely brutal to us. It was punishing to endure. Each time I kept hoping we would win. The fourth year I didn't go I think we did win but I had my fill. I went to a lot Rutgers games. Sometimes the Orange fans were not exactly graceful after we won. It's the way it goes.

Glad to hear you had a good experience. You are much braver than I would be!

In general, I think the ACC fans (especially the students) are much more civilized than Big East fans (especially the students). I (and other orange-garbed SU fans) have gotten some pretty foul abuse at Georgetown, UConn and Nova games. But during my trips to ACC venues the past three seasons (mainly Duke, UVA and UNC), I witnessed no similar abuse directed at SU fans. Fans in all three places were friendly and helpful.

In general, I think the ACC fans (especially the students) are much more civilized than Big East fans (especially the students). I (and other orange-garbed SU fans) have gotten some pretty foul abuse at Georgetown, UConn and Nova games. But during my trips to ACC venues the past three seasons (mainly Duke, UVA and UNC), I witnessed no similar abuse directed at SU fans. Fans in all three places were friendly and helpful.
Southern hospitality. It's a real thing. I've also noticed this with a lot of the visiting fans to the Dome since we've joined the ACC. Very pleasant and genuinely excited to be there and see the Dome in person.

I think I may have messed up my first attempt to ask a question, if so I apologize to other members.

What hotel did Syracuse stay at for the Durham visit? It might be a good reference for future visits. We also stayed Friday night in Winston Salem and ran into the Syracuse coaching staff, trainers et al less Jimmy at Ryan"s Steak House in WS a bit after 9 on Friday night. Super weekend to be a Syracuse fan here in NC. Other great news this evening...possibility of Wegman's locating a store here in Cary. This week can only be exceeded with a win on Saturday in Charlottesville.

Through the Big East years, Headmaster & I have had the opportunity to attend nearly every away venue as well as a few non-conference games on opposing campuses. While we have always encountered good-natured ribbing, only a few incidents stand out.

Following Pittsburgh's first loss at the Peterson events center, a group of 5-6 students followed us to a Primanti Brothers threatening to kick the crap out of us, but have never had issues since. We were also nicely asked to leave the Georgetown student activities center as some muscle head (guy was huge and had no neck) wanted to know who the "F" let us in the building. We did not instigate anything, and when asked why we were being asked to leave, we were told that it was best for everyone's safety.

However, I can honestly say that I've enjoyed every campus.....except UConn at Storrs. I was amazed by the way UConn staff took a blind eye to the way students & UConn ticket holders treated opposing fans. We saw trash being thrown and profanity being used at 50-60 y/o people as well as little kids (10-12 y/o with their parents), while ushers and security both laughed at what was being done. They say that a few bad apples should not represent an entire fan base, which I believe to be true. Unfortunately, it appears that the majority of the UConn fan base are knuckle heads and our trip to the Bahamas only supports this observation and Storrs is the only place we have no desire in returning to.

Since we have joined the ACC, we have been to NC St., Virginia, Clemson, Wake Forest, and Duke. The students and fans at each venue have been very friendly and responsive to questions about the campus, stadium, and any other inquiry such as places to eat and things to visit during our stay. We wear our orange with pride and have enjoyed the southern hospitality, including the lady who sat behind us yesterday and told us sternly, to go home.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom