If Battle is back next year where are Hughes minutes going to come from? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

If Battle is back next year where are Hughes minutes going to come from?

Nobody with any talent comes back for a 3rd year. Sad but that's the way it is. Blame the NBA who thinks kids that are 21 are too old and rates them down.

Hakim Warrick would like a word.

Nobody with any talent comes back for a 3rd year. Sad but that's the way it is. Blame the NBA who thinks kids that are 21 are too old and rates them down.

Grayson Allen, Mikal Bridges will be a first rounder this year,

In the past 5 years:

Justin Jackson
Kris Dunn
Buddy Heild
Taurean Prince
Denzel Valentine
Frank Kaminski
Sam Dekker
Jerian Grant
Elfrid Payton
Doug McDermott
Adrien Payne
Victor Olidipo
CJ McCullum
Kelly Olynik

Tyus Battle was 7 years old when Warrick decided to come back for his junior year. Long time ago man.

As evidenced by the LONG laundry list below you have no idea what you're talking about.

Grayson Allen, Mikal Bridges will be a first rounder this year,

In the past 5 years:

Justin Jackson
Kris Dunn
Buddy Heild
Taurean Prince
Denzel Valentine
Frank Kaminski
Sam Dekker
Jerian Grant
Elfrid Payton
Doug McDermott
Adrien Payne
Victor Olidipo
CJ McCullum
Kelly Olynik
Still, those guys are the exception these days and that's not a long list. Five years, 150 first round slots, very few college upperclassmen.

Still, those guys are the exception these days and that's not a long list. Five years, 150 first round slots, very few college upperclassmen.

I only went top 15 outside of one or two of the guys. You can probably double the list if we're going the entire first round.

I only went top 15 outside of one or two of the guys. You can probably double the list if we're going the entire first round.
You're still probably looking at only something like 20-25% upperclassmen going in the first round. Those are long odds.

As evidenced by the LONG laundry list below you have no idea what you're talking about.
Those are 14 guys out of 150 first round picks. That's not a "LONG laundry list" on a percentage basis.

Over that period, there were actually 38 upperclassmen picked in the first round, 11 of which were picked in the lottery. So 25% of the first round overall, and 16% of the lottery. That's not nothing, but it's way down from prior years. If you looked at the same Last 5 Years percentage in 2005, the year Warrick was drafted, upperclassmen would have been 48% of the first round and 41% of the lottery.

Fine, maybe "nobody with any talent" is a bit of an overstatement. The overall point is still true.

Last edited:
You're still probably looking at only something like 20-25% upperclassmen going in the first round. Those are long odds.

Those are 14 guys out of 150 first round picks. That's not a "LONG laundry list" on a percentage basis.

Over that period, there were actually 38 upperclassmen picked in the first round, 11 of which were picked in the lottery. So 25% of the first round overall, and 16% of the lottery. That's not nothing, but it's way down from prior years. If you looked at the same Last 5 Years percentage in 2005, the year Warrick was drafted, upperclassmen would have been 48% of the first round and 41% of the lottery.

Fine, maybe "nobody with any talent" is a bit of an overstatement. The overall point is still true.

Past 5 years

11 guys in the top 15 and 26 guys in the bottom 15, 41 guys in total.

Battle is either undrafted or second round right now. He is one guy who could actually benefit by coming back. I usually am strike while hot when it comes to leaving early, but it's not hot for him.

I don’t see how any team would draft battle. What are you guy’s watching? Frank’s playing better than him despite all his turnovers and he’s never making it to the NBA.

I'll take credit for saying this first on the board.

Not happy about it but this team held him back as well as a couple pieces of his game that need help, rebounding and passing.

Past 5 years

11 guys in the top 15 and 26 guys in the bottom 15, 41 guys in total.

Battle is either undrafted or second round right now. He is one guy who could actually benefit by coming back. I usually am strike while hot when it comes to leaving early, but it's not hot for him.
Let's see how he finishes the year and how he tests out at the combine.

Not happy about it but this team held him back as well as a couple pieces of his game that need help, rebounding and passing.
We’re fighting for taking credit for saying it first.

Let's see how he finishes the year and how he tests out at the combine.

Sure, but I was responded to the person who pretty much said that nobody with talent stays in school past their sophomore year.

Not sure Battle tests all that well, I don't think he has NBA athleticism.

You may not be happy, but more than a few people on this board will be ecstatic.

Sure, but I was responded to the person who pretty much said that nobody with talent stays in school past their sophomore year.

Not sure Battle tests all that well, I don't think he has NBA athleticism.
I will disagree. I think he will test well and does have the athleticism.

He can go pro anywhere.
Doesn’t have to be the NBA.
I can’t see Battle coming back.
He would get less minutes and shots next year.
It would increase PER though.

We’re fighting for taking credit for saying it first.

I hope all these guys do well enough to get drafted. While it stinks they leave, if we can get a lottery pick type year out of him that means we'll be pretty damn good.

This is a very deep draft, I'm not even convinced Battle is a first round pick right now.

I got December 11th.

He can go pro anywhere.
Doesn’t have to be the NBA.
I can’t see Battle coming back.
He would get less minutes and shots next year.
It would increase PER though.

If he wants to play in Europe or the G league that’s cool, but it means we clearly have issues keeping players if we can’t keep someone who’s borderline draftable.

If he wants to play in Europe or the G league that’s cool, but it means we clearly have issues keeping players if we can’t keep someone who’s borderline draftable.
Isn’t that kinda obvious by now.
I was floored when we got 2 years out of Lydon.
We don’t do a good job in player development.
There development is for our system.
Dion Waiters is the really the only guy who got better and increased their draft stock. That was more he got his act together.

The guys who stay Nichols, Fair are fringe guys.

Agree 100%, he's the type of talent that Nova or Xavier keep for 4 years and that is why they are good and we aren't.. There is something terribly wrong if Battle leaves as all roads lead to him not being an NBA talent at this point. At least the others were drafted at a level where they could make some $$

Isn’t that kinda obvious by now.
I was floored when we got 2 years out of Lydon.
We don’t do a good job in player development.
There development is for our system.
Dion Waiters is the really the only guy who got better and increased their draft stock. That was more he got his act together.

The guys who stay Nichols, Fair are fringe guys.

agree 100% but guys like Nichols and Fair are the guys you need to be top 25 and consistently good... we aren't a good college basketball team right now with the current roster. Hall of fame coach with a patchwork roster. I think JB needs a group full of juniors/seniors that want to play at Syracuse that aren't quite good enough to play in the NBA, find that roster and LOOK the F out.. Not sure it's possible though..

Also need 2-3 really good shooters, really good shooters. We can develop kids if they stick around long enough. Christmas, Rautins, Fair, Nichols, Arinze, Ricky, Warrick, Otis, Scoop, G, even Coon dog etc. There are a ton of kids.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom