If Cashman is any kind ofGM--- | Syracusefan.com

If Cashman is any kind ofGM---

CaliCuse

All American
A- Rod is showing big signs that he is through even as a DH, Headley hitting ninth wasn't totally wrong place for him. Pitching is of course a major priority but offense is required unless your pitching shut outs

This is A-Rod's last year and he hit a HR yesterday. They have to pay him regardless, so they might as well hang on a little longer before seeing if they have to cut bait.

This is A-Rod's last year and he hit a HR yesterday. They have to pay him regardless, so they might as well hang on a little longer before seeing if they have to cut bait.

He said he's playing next year.

Arod has another year on his contract, he will be a Yankee next year as well.

image.jpg

Worst contract ever!

View attachment 61109
Worst contract ever!

When all is said and done, at a minimum, I think Cano's and Pujols' will look worse.

Yankees front loaded, and were able to get a year off (thanks MLB!). Plus, they're working around all those marketing bonuses after the scandal.

Pujols is back loaded, they still have so much to pay him. Including this year, it's still 6 more years and $165M.

Cano, he'll be 34 when this season ends, and they have 7 more years to pay him. I don't see him staying interested that long. I thought it was risky for the Yanks to offer him 7, but 10??

When all is said and done, at a minimum, I think Cano's and Pujols' will look worse.

Yankees front loaded, and were able to get a year off (thanks MLB!). Plus, they're working around all those marketing bonuses after the scandal.

Pujols is back loaded, they still have so much to pay him. Including this year, it's still 6 more years and $165M.

Cano, he'll be 34 when this season ends, and they have 7 more years to pay him. I don't see him staying interested that long. I thought it was risky for the Yanks to offer him 7, but 10??

Thinking about it...it makes sense to front load these type of contracts. Pay the highest when they will most likely be performing the highest. As the performance comes down, so should the salary, thus opening up more money for replacement(s). You don't have to worry about a cap...front loading works better if you are willing to pay the luxury tax, if you break the threshold...

Cano will make an ideal DH for someone as that contract winds down. I think he will stay motivated to reach 3000 hits, something certainly within his reach.

Thinking about it...it makes sense to front load these type of contracts. Pay the highest when they will most likely be performing the highest. As the performance comes down, so should the salary, thus opening up more money for replacement(s). You don't have to worry about a cap...front loading works better if you are willing to pay the luxury tax, if you break the threshold...
I like your idea, plus offering an increasing number of incentive clauses for the end of the contract, say for matching some stats of the beginning of the contract.

Cano will make an ideal DH for someone as that contract winds down. I think he will stay motivated to reach 3000 hits, something certainly within his reach.

That team will probably get him for 25% of his salary, $6M, while the Mariners pick up the other $18M.

170 hits per year (low end for what he's trended) gets him to 3,000 in 6 years, which is certainly within reach. Assuming he can stay as durable as he's been in the later years.

I like your idea, plus offering an increasing number of incentive clauses for the end of the contract, say for matching some stats of the beginning of the contract.

What about the huge inflation we've seen in salaries? Dollar today is worth more than a dollar in 5 years, so you'd r ather backload when possible

What about the huge inflation we've seen in salaries? Dollar today is worth more than a dollar in 5 years, so you'd r ather backload when possible
Interest rates determine the time value of money, since they're near zero right now money now isn't worth much more to the team than money later except in opportunity costs. The backloading leads to paying people a lot for not producing as much as they did at the beginning of the contract either because their bodies aren't up to what the were before or they've retired and you're paying more for "the dead horse" that isn't producing revenue for you any more than when it was working for you.

Interest rates determine the time value of money, since they're near zero right now money now isn't worth much more to the team than money later except in opportunity costs. The backloading leads to paying people a lot for not producing as much as they did at the beginning of the contract either because their bodies aren't up to what the were before or they've retired and you're paying more for "the dead horse" that isn't producing revenue for you any more than when it was working for you.

I know interest rates in general are flattish right now, but there has been pretty huge inflation in baseball salaries. Up over 30% from when A-Rod signed his deal in 2007, for instance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom