IF the ACC breaks up, what are the likely outcomes for Syracuse? | Syracusefan.com

IF the ACC breaks up, what are the likely outcomes for Syracuse?

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
I've been avoiding this topic for a few weeks because I've been traveling, but also because all I keep hearing about it is either doomsdayer talk or pipe dreams.

Let's be real here. What do you all think are the most likely realistic outcomes IF this all happens? I understand it may not.

Here are some of the potential outcomes I have heard...some are in the above categories but maybe someone else thinks they are more realistic I dunno

1- Remaining ACC teams, including Syracuse, expand by bringing in new schools from non P-5 - this is probably the most likely, but I question whether a conference with schools like Syracuse, Duke, BC, Wake...plus schools like Army, UConn, UCF, and Cincinnati is even remotely strong enough to be considered a Power conference any longer
2- Remaining ACC teams, including Syracuse, expand by merging w the PAC-12 leftovers - I've long championed the idea of a bi-coastal conference. I think a conference that includes the ACC remnants plus schools like the Arizona schools, Stanford, San Diego State, Utah, Oregon State...while clunky, would be competitive. But that said, whenever I spoke of a bicoastal conference it was WITH the likes of Miami and FSU. This arrangement would still be the weakest power conference.
3. Going Indy for football, Big East for hoops - I think the program would just get financially crushed going indy for football. I can't see it working.
4. The B1G- I can't see a scenario where we are much value to the B1G unless they do something wild like go to 24 teams and decide they need another northern school for some reason. Even then, I would be they would look at BC first and the Boston market (not that it would get them that, no one gives a shyt about college football in Boston)
5. The entire ACC dissolves and Syracuse ends up in the AAC or similar - Worst case scenario

What other options are there? Are any of the above more viable than I am thinking?

If apps are the future would you not want a huge loyal BBall fanbase that will pay sub fees from October through March? And a subset of that fanbase will also pay for August and September due to FB?

Because of that, IMO SU would have a shot at making the B16. They also would have a shot at the SEC. Both ESPN and the SEC want UNC. But to get UNC, the SEC would need to add a bunch of schools that were more like UNC and less like LSU. If ESPN/SEC tried to semi merge the ACC into the SEC, we would be part of that. Teams like BC, SU, Pitt, UVA, UNC, Duke, Clemson, GA Tech, Miami, Notre Dame. That has a low probability but IMO it is possible.

There are only 2 power conferences left. So if we do get left behind, IMO we are better off staying in the ACC with like minded Eastern schools vs going to a national 2nd tier B12. That leftover ACC would be a strong BBall conference and still make the playoffs in FB.

There is no reason to be in a bicoastal conference. But if there were such a thing there is no way you invite Washington State, Oregon State, and Cal. Those 3 are just more mouths to feed while adding zero value.

The Big East has half the conference not in the East. We are better off staying in the ACC and stealing the valuable Eastern Big East teams. Take UConn, Nova, Georgetown, and St Johns. Same goes for the AAC, why go there when rebuilding the ACC is still an option?

f07203eb299b1e0b0e9845acb3e8ae9a.gif

With recent stories about Fox clamping down on this B1G mega-deal, and ESPN not even bidding on the Pac12; maybe, these media companies are applying the brakes to this runaway freight train, that is media rights deals. Wonder if the companies that actually buy the ad time are saying enough is enough.

The bigger bet isn't the conference alignments but the future of football itself in college. Ultimately football's future will be determined by kids continuing to play football across the country. If it becomes hyper regionalized not sure what happens then.

That worries me more than college presidents figuring out how much money they can make from football. If it's played it'll make money.

Bicoastal conference will fold pretty quickly unless non-revenue driving sports stay regional. Way too expensive

I've been avoiding this topic for a few weeks because I've been traveling, but also because all I keep hearing about it is either doomsdayer talk or pipe dreams.

Let's be real here. What do you all think are the most likely realistic outcomes IF this all happens? I understand it may not.

Here are some of the potential outcomes I have heard...some are in the above categories but maybe someone else thinks they are more realistic I dunno

1- Remaining ACC teams, including Syracuse, expand by bringing in new schools from non P-5 - this is probably the most likely, but I question whether a conference with schools like Syracuse, Duke, BC, Wake...plus schools like Army, UConn, UCF, and Cincinnati is even remotely strong enough to be considered a Power conference any longer
2- Remaining ACC teams, including Syracuse, expand by merging w the PAC-12 leftovers - I've long championed the idea of a bi-coastal conference. I think a conference that includes the ACC remnants plus schools like the Arizona schools, Stanford, San Diego State, Utah, Oregon State...while clunky, would be competitive. But that said, whenever I spoke of a bicoastal conference it was WITH the likes of Miami and FSU. This arrangement would still be the weakest power conference.
3. Going Indy for football, Big East for hoops - I think the program would just get financially crushed going indy for football. I can't see it working.
4. The B1G- I can't see a scenario where we are much value to the B1G unless they do something wild like go to 24 teams and decide they need another northern school for some reason. Even then, I would be they would look at BC first and the Boston market (not that it would get them that, no one gives a shyt about college football in Boston)
5. The entire ACC dissolves and Syracuse ends up in the AAC or similar - Worst case scenario

What other options are there? Are any of the above more viable than I am thinking?
I see something like this happening
Big 12 East
Boston College (MA)
Connecticut (CT)
Syracuse (NY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
West Virginia (WV)
Cincinnati (OH)
Louisville (KY)
Duke (NC)
UCF (FL)
Big 12 West
Iowa St (IA)
Memphis (TN)
Kansas St (KS)
Oklahoma St (OK)
Houston (TX)
Baylor (TX)
TCU (TX)
Texas Tech (TX)
BYU (UT)

UVA UNC GT MIAMI to B10 and VT NCST CLEMSON FSU to SEC. From the PAC: UW OREGON STANFORD CAL to BIG and AZ ASU CU KU to SEC

Big 12 East
Boston College (MA)
Connecticut (CT)
Syracuse (NY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
West Virginia (WV)
Cincinnati (OH)
Louisville (KY)
Duke (NC)
UCF (FL)
Big 12 West
Iowa St (IA)
Memphis (TN)
Kansas St (KS)
Oklahoma St (OK)
Houston (TX)
Baylor (TX)
TCU (TX)
Texas Tech (TX)
BYU (UT)

UVA UNC GT MIAMI to B10 and VT NCST CLEMSON FSU to SEC. From the PAC: UW OREGON STANFORD CAL to BIG and AZ ASU CU KU to SEC
BC is a revenue loser for any conference.

Fair, but I am someone who worries less when I know what the potential scenarios are, as slim as they be.

There are a million different ways this could all go. Including the B16 and SEC never adding again.

How I see it…

UNC 76% B16. I could see them in the SEC but I think they are B16 bound.

UVA 76% B16. Where UNC goes, they will follow.

BC 67% ACC. I think they are looking at ACC or AAC. They better hope the ACC doesn’t fold.

Duke 67% ACC. It is possible that UNC throws them a lifeline. The B12 would have interest too, but I think they stay.

FSU 67% B12. I think their ego makes them leave the ACC no matter what. But I am not sure they get a B16 or SEC invite.

Louisville 67% B12. I think they would leave the ACC if offered but would they get an invite?

Wake 67% ACC. Nobody wants them. Like BC it is ACC or AAC.

Clemson 51% B12. I think they have a better chance at the SEC than FSU and are more willing to stay in the ACC.

GA Tech 51% ACC. I could see them getting a B16 invite. B12 would like them but ACC is the better fit.

Miami 51% ACC. They could end up anywhere. But at the end of the day the academic fit of the ACC and big fish aspect wins out. They would get lost in those other conferences.

NC State 51% SEC. Do they get an invite? If not do they stay ACC or go B12?

Pitt 51% ACC. There is a long shot at the B16. But I think they will need to decide between the B12 (Cincy, Louisville, WV) or the ACC (BC, Duke, SU).

SU 51% ACC. We are the biggest program in the Northeast so we likely get an invite somewhere. I think our best fit is a rebuilt ACC.

VA Tech 51% SEC. Same as with NC State.

So…

B16
UNC, UVA

SEC
NC State, VA Tech

B12
Clemson, FSU, Louisville

ACC
BC, Duke, GA Tech, Miami, Pitt, SU, Wake, and Notre Dame non FB

At a minimum that ACC would need to add 3 FB schools and I think at a max 5:

Army/Navy 51% as FB onlies. They have name recognition, history, academics, location. Would they come? Would the ACC offer?

Nova 51%. They have the academic fit, BBall fit, location fit, and market. Would they go FBS? Would they leave the Big East?

UConn 49%. They would fit for BBall and location. Not so much as a school. I think the B12 might grab them first though.

FAU 34%. Only if Miami is gone. They showed that they care about sports by moving up to the AAC and with the F4 run.

James Madison 34%. They add VA. They have had success at lower levels in FB. I think they only get an invite if you need one more team to fill out the league.

Temple 34%. Mainly if Nova says no.

USF 34%. They have the market but are not a fit as a school. Also they are a mess in both FB and BBall. But they are in Florida for recruiting should you need a team there.

And if Army/Navy come on the FB side, then I could see Georgetown and St Johns on the BBall side.

I think should SU get left out of the P2, that our best scenario is staying in the ACC along with...

Army/St Johns, BC, Duke, GA Tech, Miami, Navy/Georgetown, Notre Dame, Nova, Pitt, Wake

Which gives us a round robin 9 game FB conference schedule and a 20 game BBall.

There are a million different ways this could all go. Including the B16 and SEC never adding again.

How I see it…

UNC 76% B16. I could see them in the SEC but I think they are B16 bound.

UVA 76% B16. Where UNC goes, they will follow.

BC 67% ACC. I think they are looking at ACC or AAC. They better hope the ACC doesn’t fold.

Duke 67% ACC. It is possible that UNC throws them a lifeline. The B12 would have interest too, but I think they stay.

FSU 67% B12. I think their ego makes them leave the ACC no matter what. But I am not sure they get a B16 or SEC invite.

Louisville 67% B12. I think they would leave the ACC if offered but would they get an invite?

Wake 67% ACC. Nobody wants them. Like BC it is ACC or AAC.

Clemson 51% B12. I think they have a better chance at the SEC than FSU and are more willing to stay in the ACC.

GA Tech 51% ACC. I could see them getting a B16 invite. B12 would like them but ACC is the better fit.

Miami 51% ACC. They could end up anywhere. But at the end of the day the academic fit of the ACC and big fish aspect wins out. They would get lost in those other conferences.

NC State 51% SEC. Do they get an invite? If not do they stay ACC or go B12?

Pitt 51% ACC. There is a long shot at the B16. But I think they will need to decide between the B12 (Cincy, Louisville, WV) or the ACC (BC, Duke, SU).

SU 51% ACC. We are the biggest program in the Northeast so we likely get an invite somewhere. I think our best fit is a rebuilt ACC.

VA Tech 51% SEC. Same as with NC State.

So…

B16
UNC, UVA

SEC
NC State, VA Tech

B12
Clemson, FSU, Louisville

ACC
BC, Duke, GA Tech, Miami, Pitt, SU, Wake, and Notre Dame non FB

At a minimum that ACC would need to add 3 FB schools and I think at a max 5:

Army/Navy 51% as FB onlies. They have name recognition, history, academics, location. Would they come? Would the ACC offer?

Nova 51%. They have the academic fit, BBall fit, location fit, and market. Would they go FBS? Would they leave the Big East?

UConn 49%. They would fit for BBall and location. Not so much as a school. I think the B12 might grab them first though.

FAU 34%. Only if Miami is gone. They showed that they care about sports by moving up to the AAC and with the F4 run.

James Madison 34%. They add VA. They have had success at lower levels in FB. I think they only get an invite if you need one more team to fill out the league.

Temple 34%. Mainly if Nova says no.

USF 34%. They have the market but are not a fit as a school. Also they are a mess in both FB and BBall. But they are in Florida for recruiting should you need a team there.

And if Army/Navy come on the FB side, then I could see Georgetown and St Johns on the BBall side.

I think should SU get left out of the P2, that our best scenario is staying in the ACC along with...

Army/St Johns, BC, Duke, GA Tech, Miami, Navy/Georgetown, Notre Dame, Nova, Pitt, Wake

Which gives us a round robin 9 game FB conference schedule and a 20 game BBall.
Along with maintaining their football independence, I think ND would be more likely to join their co-religionists and move their other sports to the BE.

I do not like any of those options but I'm just hoping that. It doesn't happen right away because I think if we stay in the ACC And continue with the trend that we are on which is upward in my opinion that we will be in a much better place than we are right now. I Mean look at the big 12 already considering Uconn because they won the national title and their football team is trash?

I mean it's pretty obvious that the scenario I just mentioned would not be A good thing for circus Athletics And like I said earlier if they do the waiting. Like 5 or 6 years from now where the buy out gets smaller and I think Florida state. Clemson whatever we you know the schools will make a move and and like I said I think. We will be in a better place so somebody probably will pick us. I am not necessarily talking about the big 10, imo we do not fit Who who they usually look? For and have. In their conference? Which. Are huge state schools? AAU status which we used to have And for them you know they would just say they already have rutgers.

I really just hope for the best because I would really be crushed if Syracuse was nothing. Pretty much left where tleft without a good place to go

Big 12 East
Boston College (MA)
Connecticut (CT)
Syracuse (NY)
Pittsburgh (PA)
West Virginia (WV)
Cincinnati (OH)
Louisville (KY)
Duke (NC)
UCF (FL)
Big 12 West
Iowa St (IA)
Memphis (TN)
Kansas St (KS)
Oklahoma St (OK)
Houston (TX)
Baylor (TX)
TCU (TX)
Texas Tech (TX)
BYU (UT)

I like part of this list but I'm a little puzzled by Kansas going to the SEC.I mean I know Kansas is a blue blood basketball program but do you really think that's enough? I mean to your point it didn't get Duke into the big 10. Or as you say so and they have a better football program.

Along with maintaining their football independence, I think ND would be more likely to join their co-religionists and move their other sports to the BE.
I don't understand where you are getting you're infoh or sjust your opinion opinion on Florida state in Clemson going to the big 12..?I? Mean that would be great for them obviously and us. Because maybe we would be with maybe we'd be in the same posithen. But I just don't see that I mean those 2 schools have been at the forefront of this whole thing and every single time this has been brought up. They're both pretty much like guaranteed going to one of those 2 conferences.

The Big12 would like to grab us, but is that the best thing for SU? I don't think so. If we take the self-proclaimed Magnificent 7 out of the ACC (and I have my doubts about NC State and VaTech's value to the Big 2), the ACC would have a viable future as an all-sports conference and enough clout to add some schools - anywhere from WVU, Cincinnati, and UCF down to UConn, Temple, and USF.

BC
Syracuse
Pitt
(Louisville)
Duke
Wake
(GaTech)
(maybe NC State)
(maybe VaTech)

Keep adding until you get 10 members:
WVU
Cincinnati
UCF
Temple
UConn
USF
ECU

Actually, a 9 or 10 team conference is ideal. Play everyone in FB every year. Play every team twice a year in BB. That's when real rivalries develop and league interest is best (proven in the early days of the Big East).

You know WVU and UConn are locks to join if invited. I don't think Navy or Army would join. ND will need a league for its non-FB sports, and the Big2 would not permit what the ACC currently does. So ND may be involved in this ACC with an arrangement to play a minimum of FB games. The Big East is an option for them as well.

I don't think hybrid conferences work long term, ie, having half the league not playing FB. I'd rather not see SU join the current Big East with the schools they've added. But if SU was forced to join a hybrid conference, I would hope only the Gavitt-era Big East teams would be included (GTown, Nova, SJ, Providence, and I suppose Seton Hall ). Not sure they would leave the Big East to get involved with D1 FB schools again.