IF the ACC breaks up, what are the likely outcomes for Syracuse? | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

IF the ACC breaks up, what are the likely outcomes for Syracuse?

College football is a hot mess, none of this is good. Regional rivalries are gone, consolidation to 2 leagues and then everyone else is shortsighted

College football will be over in 20 years, if they consolidate down to only 2 or 3 major conferences, without regional rivals and "big leagues" located on both coasts. They won't have any audience. They'll be NASCAR.

I saw this today and I gotta say it was quite encouraging And the better news from my perspective is that in my opinion, a lot of that is a 100% accurate.

Syracuse definitely has to be on the ball. Right now, every move has to be based around realignment. So you gotta spend the money for the best coach you can get if it comes to that? Assistant coaches! You're doing good on facilities. You gotta keep it up. You have to look as attractive as possible. Anything and everything to make us look like a better brand, etc to the big 2 conf., even big 12 if we have too. Because we never know when this is gonna take place the employee of ACC.
If at all I mean, you know come on. I gotta be somewhat of an optimist

I think we are trending in the right direction. This is a huge season for SU sports, of course, but if Autry wins 20+ games, we make the tournament, and 1 or 2 guys get drafted (at least 1 in the first round), then we can say that the basketball team is back.

If Dino makes back-to-back bowl games, it will be for the first time, and will put us in better position than we have been since Marrone's peak. Good time to have both sports trending well, new upgrades to the Dome and to facilities. We are about as well positioned for it as we could be.

College football will be over in 20 years, if they consolidate down to only 2 or 3 major conferences, without regional rivals and "big leagues" located on both coasts. They won't have any audience. They'll be NASCAR.

And deservedly so. It's sad beacuse I used to love the sport so much, and obviously Syracuse Football. But a small bitter part of me hopes the powers reap what they sow and it all implodes.

Once they ruin the NCAAT i'm done with college sports all together...I think. My blood is still Orange.

That is already being spoken about in the Big 10, only playing conference games in all sports and no more games vs other conferences. If the TV money is there for it, then why play any games outside of conference?

Especially when the SEC/BIG10 breaks away from the NCAA altogether.

Because if they don't have other conferences to beat up on, then half of each conference is going to fail to make a bowl game.

Teams like Mississippi State, Nebraska, Indiana, Ole Miss, Iowa, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky and South Carolina might never make a bowl game again (to say nothing of teams like Rutgers, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, etc., who were already so unlikely to make one, anyway)

Probably the most logical realignment I’ve seen

If we can land in a league with Pitt, WVU and BC, then that's most of our oldest rivals for football.

I think we are trending in the right direction. This is a huge season for SU sports, of course, but if Autry wins 20+ games, we make the tournament, and 1 or 2 guys get drafted (at least 1 in the first round), then we can say that the basketball team is back.

If Dino makes back-to-back bowl games, it will be for the first time, and will put us in better position than we have been since Marrone's peak. Good time to have both sports trending well, new upgrades to the Dome and to facilities. We are about as well positioned for it as we could be.
I agree 100%
I mean, the Sky is the limit for the basketball programs if autry Turns out to be a winner. I'm in a good defensive coach as well.
I think we could easily average somewhere in the 25k range again if autry can coach.
Listen, this is definitely the one of the most talented teams we have had in I don't know a decade and a 1/2 ish, when we were top 5 for 3 or 4 years. He's just gotta be able to take that talent And position, harness that talent the best way possible for us to win In other words, we can finally gain plan, coach around our talent. I know for fat with a in your face. Defense pretty much the whole game. That excites The Crown like you thought. It was loud before and my re name the place after this.

. The zone most of the time did to the crowd what ambien does to humans
So to sum up if things go right with our resources in bball we can climb that "brand hierarchy " fairly quickly in my opinion.

Will it be easy? Of course? Not, but either way, it's gonna be a very interesting ride.

Last edited:
No one knows what will happen when it comes to this stuff. Many pretend to, but trust me, no one does. Not even the people directly involved in making the future happen.
Of course nobody knows Outside of the people involved, I'm not saying they definitely know. But I mean, there is shady deals in this game. Just like any other politics, whatever money just creates chaos.
Kinda like what happened to us in the ACC. When Boston college just snuck right in before us at the last minute , I'm sure there was some wheeling & dealing going on behind the scenes

Last edited:

Yes, and let's say that 1 hypothetically dinois just not doing enough and he needs to do fires. That's exactly what SU HAS to do. You can't afford to have a program to put back years in this state that we are in of realignment. I'll still a quote from Jurassic park. That I watched the other day, LOL "You spare no expense"

Yes, and let's say that 1 hypothetically dinois just not doing enough and he needs to do fires. That's exactly what SU HAS to do. You can't afford to have a program to put back years in this state that we are in of realignment. I'll still a quote from Jurassic park. That I watched the other day, LOL "You spare no expense"
Dude i swear you are the son of Cali and i love it

Dude i swear you are the son of Cali and i love it
Wow u r lame. U could play out a wet dream lol SMH talk the same over n over . you're, like a record that never stops skipping. I mean, you gotta be bored with this by now! Whatever this is?

Its pretty apparent that u just dont have natta to say! U have the wit of a corpse lol How about this Mr. Carlin, why don't you stop dancing around? With whatever this s*** you're talking about. And just tell me what this s***'s really about. 'cause I got I said already. This is so lame to me. You just make me self lost stupid gazillion. Have a clue who Cali is but come on let me in, what,who is cali & u love it why? I just wanna be a part of this fantastic joke set you got going on.
So I mean, if you think you're doing something here trust me, you're failing miserably

Because if they don't have other conferences to beat up on, then half of each conference is going to fail to make a bowl game.

Teams like Mississippi State, Nebraska, Indiana, Ole Miss, Iowa, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky and South Carolina might never make a bowl game again (to say nothing of teams like Rutgers, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, etc., who were already so unlikely to make one, anyway)
That is an old way of thinking. It's not about BOWL GAMES. It's about TV deal money...that's it! No decisions being made these days have "bowls" in mind. Bowl games (as we knew them) are a thing of the past and are changing like the rest of the college sports landscape is changing.

It has already been reported that some of these bowl games are gonna be BIG 10-only bowl games and SEC-only bowl games where two teams in the same conference who don't play in the regular season will play each other in a bowl game. With the Pac 12 blowing up and losing their bowl tie-ins, that is where all of this is going in the near future.

Fans have to shift away from the old ways of thinking and now look to where the sport is going with the expanded playoff and two mega conferences.

It's corporate greed at its finest. Why pay some small school to beat up on when you can just play all conference games, keep all the money, and fill up all the inventory on the Big 10 Network, NBC, CBS, and FOX with only Big 10 vs. Big 10 content and get higher ad rates from those networks (especially the in house Big 10 Network) for premiums Big 10 conference games all season? Same for the SEC.

The reason these conferences are blowing up, expanding, and separating themselves is they are tired of "sharing." So, they don't care about Bowl Games, trust me. They will lock up deals to have their own schools in-house play each other in bowl games and the bowls would rather have two regional SEC teams playing a game in a "bowl" in the south that will sell out a stadium than what they usually have now.

This is how college football looks to me now:

s-l1600.png

Thinking way out of the box here...could it be possible to look into adding the University of Toronto, McGill or U of Montreal? Again, just spit balling here but the potential could be there to add to the ACC if schools leave and SU would fit in well if they were to seriously upgrade facilities for football.
I'm a guy that see's a box half full, instead of half empty. Until a dollar number is agreed upon between Clemson/FSU exiting, will we see any serious changes in the ACC? I for one feel the ACC is better off than the B12, even without those 2 teams. That said, Syracuse as a city got a big reprieve with MICRON, if and when this all happens. The programs need to become relevant again in all sports, and recent changes are encouraging. UConn would be terrific add IMO. It would revitalize a storied adversary for us in BB, should those two teams leave as well as UNC. Use the payout provided to support all facets of our athletics, and by all means resolve the parking at the DOME! One of the things hurting us is making it as difficult as you can to attend a game! But Syracuse Athletics needs to worry about their own house before they can be a voice to others or to be wanted as a neighbor.

I'm a guy that see's a box half full, instead of half empty. Until a dollar number is agreed upon between Clemson/FSU exiting, will we see any serious changes in the ACC? I for one feel the ACC is better off than the B12, even without those 2 teams. That said, Syracuse as a city got a big reprieve with MICRON, if and when this all happens. The programs need to become relevant again in all sports, and recent changes are encouraging. UConn would be terrific add IMO. It would revitalize a storied adversary for us in BB, should those two teams leave as well as UNC. Use the payout provided to support all facets of our athletics, and by all means resolve the parking at the DOME! One of the things hurting us is making it as difficult as you can to attend a game! But Syracuse Athletics needs to worry about their own house before they can be a voice to others or to be wanted as a neighbor.
One more thing, I don't see the SEC or B1G watering down their leagues unless there is a big add. Neither of those markets provide a huge boost in revenue, not immediately, and I would think both would have to do something like SMU by not getting all of the proceeds immediately from those 2 power 5 programs.

There is a chance... a slim chance but a chance... that the timing of things could line up well for us. When Cuse moved from the BE to the ACC realignment was driven by TV markets... BC, Cuse to ACC... Rutgers to BT. Things have since changed where realignment targets are driven by the marketability of a school to a national audience. A year before LVille was admitted to the ACC, Uconn was considered almost a lock. But LVille had a big year in both football and basketball and became the sexier pick. Syracuse is still a big basketball name despite recnt years. If Autry can have a decent year next year with a big 2025 class coming the year after that couldbget our basketball rep right back intonthe sexy category. And of course, football being much more important, if FB can win right out of the gate. Maybe sneak in a trip to the ACC championship game and have a top 20 type recruiting class developing we could look like the hot up and coming program of the northeast in football. If we can look like a pretty sexy program in both football and basketball, good academics, NY based, and historic rivals with Penn St and ND... maybe, depending how much the BT wants to grow, maybe we are looking our best right at the time those decisions are being made.

There is a chance... a slim chance but a chance... that the timing of things could line up well for us. When Cuse moved from the BE to the ACC realignment was driven by TV markets... BC, Cuse to ACC... Rutgers to BT. Things have since changed where realignment targets are driven by the marketability of a school to a national audience. A year before LVille was admitted to the ACC, Uconn was considered almost a lock. But LVille had a big year in both football and basketball and became the sexier pick. Syracuse is still a big basketball name despite recnt years. If Autry can have a decent year next year with a big 2025 class coming the year after that couldbget our basketball rep right back intonthe sexy category. And of course, football being much more important, if FB can win right out of the gate. Maybe sneak in a trip to the ACC championship game and have a top 20 type recruiting class developing we could look like the hot up and coming program of the northeast in football. If we can look like a pretty sexy program in both football and basketball, good academics, NY based, and historic rivals with Penn St and ND... maybe, depending how much the BT wants to grow, maybe we are looking our best right at the time those decisions are being made.
I have always thought and will continue to think we’re a logical choice for the B1G.

I have always thought and will continue to think we’re a logical choice for the B1G.
Maybe. But at the moment those board meetings are happening with the B10 Presidents and ADs out basketball program needs to be a program you expect to be in the sweet 16 and compete for Final Fours and the football programs needs to be a program that is at least competing for playoff bids. It's a big ask given our recent state of both programs. But also doable given recent changes and the uptick in recruiting for both.

Personally, I think there is little chance Syracuse joins the Big Ten. If the Big Ten expands up to 24 teams, I bet they go down the east coast with some combination of Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State or Miami.

On the west coast, there’s Cal, Stanford, Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado and Kansas that deliver bigger markets than Syracuse

Last edited:
Personally, I think there is little chance Syracuse joins the Big Ten. If the Big Ten expands up to 24 teams, I bet they go down the east coast with some combination of Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State or Miami.

On the west coast, there’s Cal, Stanford, Arizona, ASU, Utah, Colorado and Kansas that deliver bigger markets than Syracuse
Kansas is a bigger market???

This thread should be what happens when the Big 12 breaks up. The have significantly more risk than the ACC right now because they have no top tiers and their rights are split between two media companies that will have major Big and SEC renewals before the ACC. Usually the simplest answer is the most likely. If Fox and ESPN know that they will have to up the ante to maintain their respective ownership positions with the Big and SEC respectively, it sure as hell would seem more likely they would pull from a lame Big 12 league.