If UNC beats Clemson, should they get playoff slot? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If UNC beats Clemson, should they get playoff slot?

If UNC beats Clemson, then Alabama and Stanford will have to lose for UNC to get in. Ohio State will get in before UNC does, not on merit, but on reputation.

This is why this lose late thing is so asinine. Clemson loses in the ACC and they are gone. They would have 2 top 10 wins which is more than anyone would have unless Michigan St beats Iowa.
Agreed. If Clemson losses, 30-28, on a late field goal, they are still a top 4 team IMHO.

One side note, everyone demerits UNC because of the two FBS games. But they are one of a precious few P5 teams that played TWO non-conference P5 games. Lost to South Carolina and destroyed Illinois.

Let's put it this way ... if Oklahoma or Bama or LSU had one loss, in the first game of the season, they'd be in. I mean, OU is already assumed "in" and they lost to 4-7 Texas. But, they are a name brand in football. And that carries weight, unfortunately.

Meanwhile, UNC is whipping the crap our of everyone. I see Saturday's game with Clemson as a pick 'em.

If UNC beats Clemson, then Alabama and Stanford will have to lose for UNC to get in. Ohio State will get in before UNC does, not on merit, but on reputation.
If Iowa beats Michigan State and UNC beats Clemson. How does the committee put a team that lost at home in the CFB playoff over the team that just beat them and had to play an extra game?

Ohio State is cooked. They are done. They won't finish above 6th unless Bama lost then maybe 5th.

Ohio State can't move up 2 slots without playing. They didn't play a hard schedule. Their second best win is 7-5 Penn State. They don't have the eye test dominance this year. They played great against Michigan but that one game isn't enough.

If Clemson loses to UNC. It will be between UNC and Stanford.

If UNC played UCF or Kansas instead of the 2nd FBS team their SOS would be worse.

UNC doesn't have the resume now. However, if they beat #1 and had a conference title. They would pass Ohio State.

It would come down to Stanford beating USC. Stanford vs. UNC adv. Stanford.
Ohio State vs. UNC adv. UNC.

If UNC played UCF or Kansas instead of the 2nd FBS team their SOS would be worse.

UNC doesn't have the resume now. However, if they beat #1 and had a conference title. They would pass Ohio State.

It would come down to Stanford beating USC. Stanford vs. UNC adv. Stanford.
Ohio State vs. UNC adv. UNC.

True dad.

Not a fan at all of Clemson needing to win the ACC Championship to get in. Do we know that's the case?

They went through the regular season undefeated and will have beaten 2-Top 10 teams. If they lose to UNC, their only loss would be in a Title Game to a Top 10 team.

They should stay in the Top 4 unless UNC blows them out.

If Iowa beats Michigan State and UNC beats Clemson. How does the committee put a team that lost at home in the CFB playoff over the team that just beat them and had to play an extra game?

Ohio State is cooked. They are done. They won't finish above 6th unless Bama lost then maybe 5th.

Ohio State can't move up 2 slots without playing. They didn't play a hard schedule. Their second best win is 7-5 Penn State. They don't have the eye test dominance this year. They played great against Michigan but that one game isn't enough.

I think you need to replace the word "can't" with "shouldn't". Ohio State certainly can move up without playing. This is not a computer we are talking about or polls. This is a committee and they CAN do just about anything. Who was ranked higher by the committee when they had the same record Clemson or Ohio St? And that was before OSU beat Michigan and after Clemson beat FSU and ND. A one loss Clemson team will not finish above OSU right or wrong. And I don't really see UNC moving ahead of OSU with a win either. Might happen but to say OSU can't stay ahead of UNC is just wanting that to be true. In fact if Clemson loses I think that seals OSU in especially if Mich St beats Iowa. UNC is currently #14, I know everyone expects them to be #8 when it comes out shortly but 14 to top 4 is a serious jump and I'm not sure how much the committee really values the conference championship. FYI - my playoff would be the 5 conference champs and the next best 3 teams.

I think you need to replace the word "can't" with "shouldn't". Ohio State certainly can move up without playing. This is not a computer we are talking about or polls. This is a committee and they CAN do just about anything. Who was ranked higher by the committee when they had the same record Clemson or Ohio St? And that was before OSU beat Michigan and after Clemson beat FSU and ND. A one loss Clemson team will not finish above OSU right or wrong. And I don't really see UNC moving ahead of OSU with a win either. Might happen but to say OSU can't stay ahead of UNC is just wanting that to be true. In fact if Clemson loses I think that seals OSU in especially if Mich St beats Iowa. UNC is currently #14, I know everyone expects them to be #8 when it comes out shortly but 14 to top 4 is a serious jump and I'm not sure how much the committee really values the conference championship. FYI - my playoff would be the 5 conference champs and the next best 3 teams.
Losing doesn't move you down automatically. However with 5 top 13 teams losing UNC will be 8th or 9th tomorrow,

Ohio State can't move up 2 slots without playing. If they do the committee will lose all credibility completely. They beat no one outside of Michigan and the eye test and metrics/analytics all betray them.

Ohio State was 3rd because they were defending NCs and were undefeated. Ohio State will determine if they are going to the Rose Bowl or Fiesta Bowl this weekend. If Michigan State wins they will likely go to the Rose Bowl if Iowa wins they will likely go to the Fiesta Bowl.

People are assuming the loser of the 4-5 would fall down. I don't assume that especially if Iowa wins. Head to Head matters look at last year TCU was above Baylor all rankings long and then at the end Baylor and TCU finished 11-1 and committee move Baylor above them. They would do the same for Michigan State over Ohio State.

The ONLY way I see Ohio State with a chance is if.
Florida beats Alabama
Michigan State pounds Iowa
USC beats Stanford
UNC beats Clemson

then the Final Four would look like this
1. Oklahoma
2. Michigan State
3. Ohio State
4. North Carolina

I don't disagree with any of your reasoning. I don't trust the committee to make the right decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom