If we don’t make the tournament next yr, is Red gone? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

If we don’t make the tournament next yr, is Red gone?

The reality of the situation is that fans would be smart not to have favorite players. One thing I see now is how all the good teams have grad students and 5th hr seniors playing key roles. We probably need 2 or 3 of those guys.
exactly why this era is hurting the sport

"hey guys, watch us play...and pay us the big bucks...but careful...don;t get attached to any player and don't have any favorite players...!

Well, anyway, enjoy!"

smh

Losing Maliq is a huge blow. If we lose Judah, there isn’t much left. It’s not like we have our pickings of the top transfers. I realize with NIL, it’s not easy for coaches, but you have to retain key pieces. I would say he should go if another year of no tourney. And this time, a national search would have to take place.
No

Losing Maliq is a huge blow. If we lose Judah, there isn’t much left. It’s not like we have our pickings of the top transfers. I realize with NIL, it’s not easy for coaches, but you have to retain key pieces. I would say he should go if another year of no tourney. And this time, a national search would have to take place.
Just stop it.

I have no idea, I assume it could be done but not with the direct input of the school. If I were an AD/coach working with our NIL folks, my goal would be to be able to overpay market prices on terms that locked some players in to two years. Seems like a good way to "overspend" and get a great advantage on the competition that can't afford to match.

Who knows what “market rate” is?

It's amazing. He won more this past year than the legend did in the previous 9.

And people are considering a scenario where he's let go after year 2.
The difference is that the fan base wanted something new and different from the legend that struggled his last 9 years and they got more of the same with the only upside being a free D2 win that everyone likes to count and a 24-point comeback against Colgate to get to 20 wins.

I have no idea, I assume it could be done but not with the direct input of the school. If I were an AD/coach working with our NIL folks, my goal would be to be able to overpay market prices on terms that locked some players in to two years. Seems like a good way to "overspend" and get a great advantage on the competition that can't afford to match.
I don’t think you can lock someone to a school, but you can overpay for their second year at the school if that is what you mean.

All of those guys had previous track records that showed they could be successful and they also didn't have the advantage of immediate help through the transfer portal while they were building.
True but the other side of that coin is that they didn't have to worry about rebuilding the roster every year.

If Wildhack was only going to give him two or three years, he never should have hired him.

If anything, the fact that those guys had success and Red hasn't means that Red should get a longer leash to prove himself.

I don’t think you can lock someone to a school, but you can overpay for their second year at the school if that is what you mean.
In theory, if an NIL deal was between a local business and a player, they could structure a deal to pay out incrementally over a period of time - perhaps a bonus paid in the summer contingent on them still being at that school and doing appearances. Hard to imagine this running afoul of anything since a business can argue they get increased value out of having the same athlete promoting their business for longer.

as of 4/2/24... we are not in a good situation . next season will tell us what kind of D1 coach red autry is.
Next season? How he fares with the roster NOW will tell us a lot.

I’m pretty sure all 365 D1 teams say the exact same things every year about culture identity team building etc. Same thing with every single employer and workplace.

It is just words and doesn’t mean anything.
Exactly what you said, but I believe Red means it when he talks about what he wants to create.

If you aren't known for something, then you have nothing.

It's good to see once again everything the know it alls keep touting and pushing for is hurting the game of basketball especially for college and hurting our own Men's Orange team. Change isn't always what's needed in everything.

I don't consider that relevant. If Red was trying to maintain everything JB did it would be. He isn't. He has made changes immediately, and he's digging us out of a deeper hole than Hurley had to. 3 years is reasonable.
Are you serious? Hurley took over team that had 2 straight losing seasons, in a tier 2 conference, that was just getting out from under sanctions.

And red is 100% a continuity hire, evidenced by the continuity of the roster. The offense style? Essentially the same. The defense changed to
Man to man but the team still sucked on defense. He didn’t bring in a slasher 3 and let a combo guard dribble the ball into oblivion. If that’s not continuity then idk what is.

Are you serious? Hurley took over team that had 2 straight losing seasons, in a tier 2 conference, that was just getting out from under sanctions.

And red is 100% a continuity hire, evidenced by the continuity of the roster. The offense style? Essentially the same. The defense changed to
Man to man but the team still sucked on defense. He didn’t bring in a slasher 3 and let a combo guard dribble the ball into oblivion. If that’s not continuity then idk what is.
They were a 25 win team 3 years before Hurley was hired, a 32 win NC team two years before that (in the AAC), and won another NC 3 years before that. We last won 25 games a decade before Red was hired. Red had to overcome more perception problems than Hurley. The conference thing is relevant but not nearly as big as you want it to be. This is isn't football.

Red brought in two new starters and two other transfers. Did he plan for Westry to be injured all year and McLeod to get hurt halfway through the year? We all hoped Judah would grow and be more well rounded pg this year. It didn't happen. More changes are being made this year and he landed the highest rated recruit we've had since Melo. This isn't a video game.

The same posters saying that they don’t cut Red slack because he is a continuity would not be cutting a new coach slack either and it is very disingenuous for them to say that. Imagine if we had gone with a new hire and he finished with a losing season. This place would be on fire. Some people just need a place to vent and that is certainly what this message board is for, but let’s at least be honest with ourselves. We wish we made the tournament and we are mad we didn’t, I don’t see the tenor changing with most posters expressing that opinion no matter who the coach is.

The same posters saying that they don’t cut Red slack because he is a continuity would not be cutting a new coach slack either and it is very disingenuous for them to say that. Imagine if we had gone with a new hire and he finished with a losing season. This place would be on fire. Some people just need a place to vent and that is certainly what this message board is for, but let’s at least be honest with ourselves. We wish we made the tournament and we are mad we didn’t, I don’t see the tenor changing with most posters expressing that opinion no matter who the coach is.
Red is a continuity hire. But the question around Red is will be be a continuation of JB’s last half dozen years, or will he get the program back to the level it was during JB’s prime years? He stated he wants to return the program back to its prior standards, so until he does that there will be fans that criticize him.

So there's just nothing to worry about in your world? Instead of addressing concerns intelligently, it seems like your go to move is to insult everyone's fandom if they have concerns about missing the NCAA for ANOTHER year. But all is well in your world as long as they have fun I guess.
He’s still worried about how Hop left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom