If you could take two back to back Syracuse seasons, and make one team of 12 whos your lineup? | Syracusefan.com

If you could take two back to back Syracuse seasons, and make one team of 12 whos your lineup?

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
They have to be back to back seasons though. Also consider the era of college basketball. This would make on heck of a tournament.

They have to be back to back seasons though. Also consider the era of college basketball. This would make on heck of a tournament.

Easy...I would just put Carmelo and Kueth on the 2003-04 team that went to the sweet 16.

starters:
Carmelo Anthony (22 ppg 10rpg as freshman)
Hakim Warrick(19.8 ppg, 8.7 rpg)
Gerry McNamara(17.2 ppg, 3.8 apg)
Kueth Duany (11ppg, 3 rpg as a senior in 2002-3)
Craig Forth(5.7 ppg, 5.8 rpg)

Bench:Billy Edelin (13.8 ppg, 5.2 apg)
Demetris Nichols(4.2 ppg, 2.2 rpg)
Louie McCroskey(3.9 ppg, 2.2 rpg)
Jeremy McNeil (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg)
Terrence Roberts(2.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg)

How bout the 2009-10 and 2010-11 teams? Good luck trying to figure out who starts from this group of 12!

Scoop Jardine
Brandon Triche
Dion Waiters
Andy Rautins

Wes Johnson
Kris Joseph
CJ Fair
James Southerland

Rick Jackson
Arinze Onuaku
Fab Melo
Baye Mousa Keita

How bout the 2009-10 and 2010-11 teams? Good luck trying to figure out who starts from this group of 12!

Scoop Jardine
Brandon Triche
Dion Waiters
Andy Rautins

Wes Johnson
Kris Joseph
CJ Fair
James Southerland

Rick Jackson
Arinze Onuaku
Fab Melo
Baye Mousa Keita

I'd start Dion, Andy, Wes, CJ and (ugh) Fab. I realize neither Andy nor Dion is a true 1 but I like this lineup.

I'd start Dion, Andy, Wes, CJ and (ugh) Fab. I realize neither Andy nor Dion is a true 1 but I like this lineup.

yep, I think i'd go with this lineup as well. rautins is a good enough ball handler to run the point (he's done it for the Canadian national team and the knicks drafted him with the hope that he could play some minutes at the point), and waiters is a good ball handler for a 2 so would be enough to help bring the ball up. as for melo, I think you have to go with him for his defense. AO and Jackson would be great coming off the bench for a little offensive firepower. Kris Joseph is the one for me that's hardest to leave on the bench, but I really liked our team in 09-10 with KJoseph coming off the bench before the AO injury, so maybe that's not all a bad thing.

Interesting to take that 09-10 team and add another year to Rick, KJO, Triche with freshmen Keita to spell the center spot and Freshmen Fair to give us a forward to score inside. In fairness Dion only scored 6 ppg as a fresh but finished real strong scoring 9ppg his last stretch and having a huge game against marquette in the tournament

Oddly enough, That could be better then adding 08-09 to 09-10. Flynn and Devendorf and Harris Kristoff would add scoring and rebounding that you can't compete with, a true penetrating isolation guard in Flynn, but bring the defense down.

I think AO and Senior Rick both working out of the mid post would be be interesting, they could get in each others way at times. If Jb knew what he knew about senior Rick ahead of time would he let him play in the midpost at PF or just keep AO there full time? I am guessing as a PF he wouldn't let him but as a center he would, as he would charge and risk foul trouble.

PG Andy
SG Dion
SF Wes
PF AO
C Fab

CJ and Slick Rick first off the bench.
But wow! KJO, Scoop, Keita, Triche, Southerland fighting for minutes?
Scary good.

What's even more amazing is that I still don't think this team would be favored against the 2011-12 Kentucky wildcats. Whereas the 03-04 Syracuse team with Carmelo and Kueth would be odds on favorite to win it all that year. Hell, sophmore Carmelo would average 30 and 15 with Gerry and Hakim around him.

Yeah but it would only be freshmen Carmelo and Senior Duany.;)
Depending the way you look at if :)

I would go:

87-88
Douglas
Roe
Thompson
Coleman
Seikaly

88-89
Doulgas
Roe
Thompson
Owens
Coleman

My starting lineup would be

PG Sherman Doulgas
SG Stevie Thompson
SF Billy Owens
PF Derrick Coleman
C Rony Seikaly

Are you friggin kidding me. I think this team would dominate the AO, Wes Etc. team and the Melo and Hak etc. team. Just my opinion and I'm only 34 years old and was 10 years old when these teams played. So maybe I'm remembering wrong. Someone set me straight.

Also I have Roe and Dave Johnson and Herman coming off the bench not that it matters. This team would score 130 points a game.

PG Andy
SG Dion
SF Wes
PF AO
C Fab

CJ and Slick Rick first off the bench.
But wow! KJO, Scoop, Keita, Triche, Southerland fighting for minutes?
Scary good.

Same years but I'm rolling
PG Andy
SG Dion
SF Wes
PF CJ
C AO

AO rebounding and scoring ability +++ over Fab. Who, in that lineup, could you ever leave open or even single covered? Scoop, KJ, and Fab off the bench... and Bjorn as a walkon.

Scoop Jardine
Brandon Triche
Dion Waiters
Andy Rautins

Wes Johnson
Kris Joseph
CJ Fair
James Southerland

Rick Jackson
Arinze Onuaku
Fab Melo
Baye Mousa Keita

Yes! Good point. The 2025 College Basketball Compendium of Elite Programs will refer to those 2 seasons in the following fashion:
And from that point forward the Syracuse Basketball program was plagued by the enviable problem commonly referred to as "An Embarrassment of Wealth". So much talent, so few minutes. Syracuse, which had been knocking on the door of a National Championship, returned to the final 4 for a second consecutive season in 13-14 their 1st season in the ACC and then claimed the title again in 14-15 and have since gone on a run unparalleled since the UCLA teams of John Wooden.

Same years but I'm rolling
PG Andy
SG Dion
SF Wes
PF CJ
C AO

AO rebounding and scoring ability +++ over Fab. Who, in that lineup, could you ever leave open or even single covered? Scoop, KJ, and Fab off the bench... and Bjorn as a walkon.
Imagine the crowd, filled with members of this forum when Bjorn made an entrance in garbage time?
In fact, he'd get garbage minutes every game with this lineup.

I would go:

87-88
Douglas
Roe
Thompson
Coleman
Seikaly

88-89
Doulgas
Roe
Thompson
Owens
Coleman

PG Sherman Doulgas
SG Stevie Thompson
SF Billy Owens
PF Derrick Coleman
C Rony Seikaly

Are you friggin kidding me. I think this team would dominate the AO, Wes Etc. team and the Melo and Hak etc. team. Just my opinion and I'm only 34 years old and was 10 years old when these teams played. So maybe I'm remembering wrong. Someone set me straight.
Your perception is just fine kid!

I would go:

87-88
Douglas
Roe
Thompson
Coleman
Seikaly

88-89
Doulgas
Roe
Thompson
Owens
Coleman

PG Sherman Doulgas
SG Stevie Thompson
SF Billy Owens
PF Derrick Coleman
C Rony Seikaly

yep, you're right, that would be a hell of a team. I don't think it would be as deep as the team of 12 I listed above from 2009-11, but clearly the starting five would be superior.

Imagine the crowd, filled with members of this forum when Bjorn made an entrance in garbage time?
In fact, he'd get garbage minutes every game with this lineup.

He might get 15+ mpg

He might get 15+ mpg
caldy_web.jpg

I would go:

87-88
Douglas
Roe
Thompson
Coleman
Seikaly

88-89
Doulgas
Roe
Thompson
Owens
Coleman

PG Sherman Doulgas
SG Stevie Thompson
SF Billy Owens
PF Derrick Coleman
C Rony Seikaly

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I would go:

87-88
Douglas
Roe
Thompson
Coleman
Seikaly

88-89
Doulgas
Roe
Thompson
Owens
Coleman

PG Sherman Doulgas
SG Stevie Thompson
SF Billy Owens
PF Derrick Coleman
C Rony Seikaly

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate - while obviously that starting lineup is stock full of Orange legends, wouldn't all 5 of those players be clogging the lane big-time? Where is the three point shooting coming from? This starting lineup could potentially struggle against a packed-in zone.

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate - while obviously that starting lineup is stock full of Orange legends, wouldn't all 5 of those players be clogging the lane big-time? Where is the three point shooting coming from? This starting lineup could potentially struggle against a packed-in zone.

They'd also be the most incredible offensive rebounding team imaginable, with a 6-9 stud like Billy as the 3.

Wouldn't offset completely the lack of great shooting--that would be that squad's big weakness. But DAMN--they'd be great on the boards, and that team would run run run.

They'd also be the most incredible offensive rebounding team imaginable, with a 6-9 stud like Billy as the 3.

Wouldn't offset completely the lack of great shooting--that would be that squad's big weakness. But DAMN--they'd be great on the boards, and that team would run run run.

I think that hypothetical Orange lineup would be extremely similar to the 2011-12 UNC team that had ridiculous frontcourt depth with Harrison Barnes, John Henson and Tyler Zeller, and an outstanding college point guard in Kendall Marshall... but no one to shoot the ball.

I think that hypothetical Orange lineup would be extremely similar to the 2011-12 UNC team that had ridiculous frontcourt depth with Harrison Barnes, John Henson and Tyler Zeller, and an outstanding college point guard in Kendall Marshall... but no one to shoot the ball.

No offense, but that hypothetical Orange team is way more talented than the UNC team you reference.

Different era.

Scoop Jardine
Brandon Triche
Dion Waiters
Andy Rautins

Wes Johnson
Kris Joseph
CJ Fair
James Southerland

Rick Jackson
Arinze Onuaku
Fab Melo
Baye Mousa Keita

Considering 2010-2011 Dion was the one that showed flashes of what he could be, but wasn't the very good player yet, I'd go with:

PG: Scoop
SG: Andy
SF: Wes
PF: Rick
C: Fab

Or possibly KJo at SF and Wes at PF.

I would go:

87-88
Douglas
Roe
Thompson
Coleman
Seikaly

88-89
Doulgas
Roe
Thompson
Owens
Coleman

PG Sherman Doulgas
SG Stevie Thompson
SF Billy Owens
PF Derrick Coleman
C Rony Seikaly

You hit upon my immediate answer as soon as I saw the question. Seikaly, Coleman, Owens, and Douglas are the heart, and Stevie ain't bad. Nothing else is even close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom