If you don't follow SU lacrosse, here's some exciting news... | Syracusefan.com

If you don't follow SU lacrosse, here's some exciting news...

cto

Administrator
Actually, it's more exciting for those who DO follow it... but they doubtless already know about it.

Today, both the SU men... and the SU women... won ACC championships in Lacrosse. The men beat Duke 15-14, and the women beat UNC 9-8 in OT.

A very good day for SU.

Last edited:
Not to take a shot at anyone on here but I never understood how someone could be a fan of the bball or football team but not vice versa. Not following Lacrosse to me is even more mindboggling, how can you not follow our best sport with the most success? If your not following this program you are missing some great moments and a great team.

Not to take a shot at anyone on here but I never understood how someone could be a fan of the bball or football team but not vice versa. Not following Lacrosse to me is even more mindboggling, how can you not follow our best sport with the most success? If your not following this program you are missing some great moments and a great team.
When played at a high level, (men's) lacrosse has some of the best elements of football, basketball and hockey.

Women's lax is a different animal. Much different from the men's game. Why, I don't know. In hockey, the women play the same game with identical equipment. Give those girls helmets and pads, and turn them loose!

There are Syracuse fans that actually DO NOT follow 'Cuse lax, even casually? Weird.

Great weekend for both women's and men's lacrosse.

When played at a high level, (men's) lacrosse has some of the best elements of football, basketball and hockey.

Women's lax is a different animal. Much different from the men's game. Why, I don't know. In hockey, the women play the same game with identical equipment. Give those girls helmets and pads, and turn them loose!

I have to agree with you in regards to the womans game, its unwatchable.

When I saw my first woman's game it was a serious What moment, particularly with respect to penalties. Have no idea as to how the rules came to be but would assume a bit of sexism that we don't want the ladies to get hurt. Thought the game would be beyond that by now says Rhonda Rousey.

When I saw my first woman's game it was a serious What moment, particularly with respect to penalties. Have no idea as to how the rules came to be but would assume a bit of s e xism that we don't want the ladies to get hurt. Thought the game would be beyond that by now says Rhonda Rousey.
I still don't think I have watched any women's lacrosse. I know the stick is different (or at least it use to be) and they got that goggle thing going on but didn't realize the rules were different as well. Is it like a no check hockey league?

Actually, it's more exciting for those who DO follow it... but they doubtless already know about it.

Today, both the SU men... and the SU women... won ACC championships in Lacrosse. The men beat Duke 15-14, and the women beat UNC 9-8 in OT.

A very good day for SU.

Watched the game on ESPNU. Slow start, came on strong, and held my breath into the close. Duke's Myles Jones is a BEAST. Congrats to the team! That said, I want to know, who's the sole idiot that gave a first place vote to Notre Dame in this weeks Top Ten Rankings? Go Cuse!

I grew up in a time and place where i didnt even know what lacrosse was. I just started watching it, almost by accident 4-5 yrs ago. I absolutely love it...great game.

They just started paying it at my kids high school 3yrs ago, and Im only 30 miles outside syracuse...so a lot of america still has no idea what the game is. All the best athletes at his school stopped playing baseball and play lacrosse now...I really think it might become one of the biggest sports in america 3-4 generations from now

Ironically the women beat NC by the same score as the men did in the semis !!!

Question - are those our first two ACC titles in any sport ?

I still don't think I have watched any women's lacrosse. I know the stick is different (or at least it use to be) and they got that goggle thing going on but didn't realize the rules were different as well. Is it like a no check hockey league?

My daughter plays. Completely different game.

Stick has no pocket...portion of ball must lay above TOP of stick head (not the bottom as in boys). No pads. Only goggles and mouthpiece. Same ball. Same goal. Different lines. Minimal contact.

Took me a long time to figure out why the refs were constantly blowing their whistles...and sometimes I'm still baffled.

Ironically the women beat NC by the same score as the men did in the semis !!!

Question - are those our first two ACC titles in any sport ?

Our first ACC Championship was Men's Cross Country in 2013

I can watch almost any sport, especially when SU is playing. But the past few years I have watched the women's lacrosse team in the Final Four and it is painful. It's probably because I enjoy watching men's lacrosse so much, but the women's game just doesn't make any sense to me. They aren't allowed to do anything without there being a whistle. And what's up with everyone dropping their sticks after goals?

My daughter plays. Completely different game.

Stick has no pocket...portion of ball must lay above TOP of stick head (not the bottom as in boys).

How is that even possible. Obviously there is no cradling but is it possible for a girl to run with the ball. Or is that against the rules also.

I've heard that there have been studies regarding girls' necks (especially younger girls) being unable to safely support the helmet that would be necessary to wear to make the sport full contact. Not sure of the validity of that though.

How is that even possible. Obviously there is no cradling but is it possible for a girl to run with the ball. Or is that against the rules also.

There is cradling. It is just a different motion. It is more side to side than the wrist flick that the men use.

There is also something called the halo zone which, if the head of the stick is in this zone, the stick cannot be checked so girls are taught to cradle the ball and keep the head of the stick within this zone.

Girls almost always keep two hands on the stick when running with the ball.

Things like swim moves are extremely difficult to execute.

Whip shots are possible but are much harder to control and are not nearly as effective with a girl's stick.

I can watch almost any sport, especially when SU is playing. But the past few years I have watched the women's lacrosse team in the Final Four and it is painful. It's probably because I enjoy watching men's lacrosse so much, but the women's game just doesn't make any sense to me. They aren't allowed to do anything without there being a whistle. And what's up with everyone dropping their sticks after goals?

I can watch almost anything Syracuse related and I don't have a problem with women's sports either. I watch basketball and the LPGA majors. But yeah, lacrosse is a tough watch. The first year we made the final and it was on ESPNU, my dad and I both admitted we kept the game on because it was Syracuse but started doing other things and weren't fully watching.

How is it the most succesful sport at the college has so little recognition in the dome rafters as far as honored players go? I am not a lax fan but as a basketball season ticket holder I will look around from time to time and wonder whats going on?

I've heard that there have been studies regarding girls' necks (especially younger girls) being unable to safely support the helmet that would be necessary to wear to make the sport full contact. Not sure of the validity of that though.
Yet there are 8-year-old boys running around wearing those helmets.

Then there is the hockey example. And, I would think that they could develop the equipment with all of the space-age, high-tech, light-weight materials out there.

Or just keep the women's game as it is, but come up with a new name for it. Because it sure as hell ain't lacrosse.

How is it the most succesful sport at the college has so little recognition in the dome rafters as far as honored players go? I am not a lax fan but as a basketball season ticket holder I will look around from time to time and wonder whats going on?
Let's retire #22.

I wish my school had a lacrosse team. woulda signed up in a heartbeat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom