I'm in a jam.. | Syracusefan.com

I'm in a jam..

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
During the academic year, my department holds a weekly lecture series. Every Friday, from 3-4. It's not exactly mandatory that I attend, but if I don't have meetings, or I'm not fighting deadlines I normally go to show support, and catch some knowledge on whatever topic the lecture happens to be on.

We had our first one of the year last week. I missed it as I was in Anchorage visiting Cuse fans that we met in the Bahamas.

This week is our big one. There's a lecture tonight that I'm skipping (Evolution of endothermy in birds and mammals) but I have to attend the reception immediately after (heard they got 21 bottles of wine for this thing)

Tomorrow, from 3-4, the same researcher (from South Africa) will be giving a talk about the legacy of our lecture series, and will be sharing stories about his work with many of the researchers who have participated in this lecture series. I've been pretty excited about it since we announced it early in the summer.

Yesterday it hit me, Cuse kicks off at 3.

Do I miss the first hour of our season opener?
Do I skip the lecture? (also mandatory is another reception at my Directors house a few hours after the lecture. I'm sure I'll be in many conversations about both lectures, so it would probably be smart to attend at least one)

Ughhh I hate time zones.

Last edited:
During the academic year, my department holds a weekly lecture series. Every Friday, from 3-4. It's not exactly mandatory that I attend, but if I don't have meetings, or I'm not fighting deadlines I normally go to show support, and catch some knowledge on whatever topic the lecture happens to be on.

We had our first one of the year last week. I missed it as I was in Anchorage visiting Cuse fans that we met in the Bahamas.

This week is our big one. There's a lecture tonight that I'm skipping (Evolution of endothermy in birds and mammals) but I have to attend the reception immediately after (heard they got 21 bottles of wine for this thing)

Tomorrow, from 3-4, the same researcher (from South Africa) will be giving about the legacy of our lecture series, and will be sharing stories about his work with many of the researchers who have participated in this lecture series. I've been pretty excited about it since we announced it early in the summer.

Do I skip the lecture? (also mandatory is another reception at my Directors house a few hours after the lecture. I'm sure I'll be in many conversations about both lectures, so it would probably be smart to attend at least one)

Ughhh I hate time zones.

Any other game? I skip. But this is one that should be a blowout...

Tomorrow, from 3-4, the same researcher (from South Africa) will be giving about the legacy of our lecture series, and will be sharing stories about his work with many of the researchers who have participated in this lecture series. I've been pretty excited about it since we announced it early in the summer.

Ughhh I hate time zones.
I'm recording the game and then starting it late at 4-4:15. Fast forward through commercials and then you should be done with the game with everyone else by 7ish. This will hopefully make you in time for your post lecture reception.

If it wasn't CCSU, my response may be different.

If only there was a way you could conjure the game to your smart phone somehow?
Like some sort of conjurer.

Gee - I wish there was some sort of way to watch a streamed-only game on my phone.
If only. ;)

I'm recording the game and then starting it late at 4-4:15. Fast forward through commercials and then you should be done with the game with everyone else by 7ish. This will hopefully make you in time for your post lecture reception.

If it wasn't CCSU, my response may be different.

I don't have any way to record it (that I know of), as espn3 is my only viewing option.. But actually, the game will be available for replay right? I didn't think of that... But it's still not the same, ughh.

If only there was a way you could conjure the game to your smart phone somehow?
Like some sort of conjurer.

Gee - I wish there was some sort of way to watch a streamed-only game on my phone.
If only. ;)

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa, I've tried that in the past. Apparently ol troop spending the whole lecture watching a game doesn't set the best example for our grad students ect.. I responded with "nothing I do really sets a good example for anyone", Nor does it look good to the lecturer that we flew across the world to talk to us.

I could get away with following the score, but streaming the game is a nogo.

Kidnap the lecturer and put him in a safe place until after the game, you can then say "i made a mistake and thought you were my ex wife". That's what I do in these situations.

dont watch just listen and then act like you have some important txting going on when the good stuff happens and you need to look at the phone..

Or you can do like I do and push the stream to your laptop and make it look like you are taking real good notes.

Pull a Ferris, stick your head under a hot lamp, lick your palms, and claim Zika.
36888ECF00000578-0-image-a-50_1469281014142.jpg

Do what I used to do in high school during the NCAA Tourney...wear a long sleeve shirt, plug some wired ear buds into your device, run the wire through your shirt so the ear bud is in your palm...then just rest your head on your hand with your hand covering your ear and listen to the game while attending the lecture. If you run wires to both hands, you can switch hands that your head is leaning on.

I used to do this with old style Walkman type foam headphones...

Do what I used to do in high school during the NCAA Tourney...wear a long sleeve shirt, plug some wired ear buds into your device, run the wire through your shirt so the ear bud is in your palm...then just rest your head on your hand with your hand covering your ear and listen to the game while attending the lecture. If you run wires to both hands, you can switch hands that your head is leaning on.

I used to do this with old style Walkman type foam headphones...
th

I salute you.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaa, I've tried that in the past. Apparently ol troop spending the whole lecture watching a game doesn't set the best example for our grad students ect.. I responded with "nothing I do really sets a good example for anyone", Nor does it look good to the lecturer that we flew across the world to talk to us.

I could get away with following the score, but streaming the game is a nogo.
I love your response about setting a good example! LOL!!

Sit in the back of the lecture and glance at your phone enough to get the general feel of the game for the first hour. The game probably won't start exactly at 3:00 and you won't be setting a bad example if they can't see you behind them. If you are required to sit near the front with faculty, bring a laptop for "notes" and plug it into an outlet in the back of the room. "Hey. I'll catch you guys at the reception. I'm going to plug my laptop in back here and take notes." Then type gibberish while watching the game in a separate window.

Tomorrow, from 3-4, the same researcher (from South Africa) will be giving a talk about the legacy of our lecture series, and will be sharing stories about his work with many of the researchers who have participated in this lecture series. I've been pretty excited about it since we announced it early in the summer.

Ughhh I hate time zones.
I've quit better jobs...just saying.

Fool Proof Plan:
  • Save some of the wine from tonight, or just bottle some of your own favorite in the morning.
  • At around 1pm, just start indulging.
  • Let your 3pm brain decide what's best for you.
Before you put your head down to rest tomorrow night, you will be feeling great about where this plan leads you. Saturday morning you may feel some element of regret, however, you will only have to figure out how to fix it.

Then again, my motto is that it's best to ask forgiveness than permission!

Godspeed CuseTroop! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom