I'm quite proud of the team so far (3 things) | Syracusefan.com

I'm quite proud of the team so far (3 things)

chakka3421

All Conference
While I wanted the team to win on both nights, I'm quite proud that the team won the second night given the high expectations of SU basketball. With a more experienced team I probably would be in meltdown mode but with this team I'm quite satisfied with what has happened so far because they have so much upside. My three things:

1. 1st half - I thought the team showed me a new level of heart and spark. They came out early with a lot more energy this game than the first. They also could have "folded" with a woe is me attitude - my gut tells me they had and showed they have the will to win for such a young team. I like where they are mentally as another loss would have been devastating.

2. 2nd half - They should me that when Iowa went on that 12-2 run at the end, the team bent but did not break. They were still aggressive and even though shots didn't go in, they didn't give up. I cannot tell you how important those end of game free throw shooting was so important for our front court guys to experience when it actually means something. Even though they didn't make them all, they made enough to win. Our front court needs this experience early when the game is on the line - cannot ask for a better way for this game to play out so early in the season. Can't get that experience playing cupcakes.

3. JB coaching - I thought JB showed some mojo having our guys foul their team with just a 3 point lead at the end - I understand the reasoning as they were still not in the double bonus but it tells me a 70 year old can still learn a thing or two. I'm also quite surprised with the calmness of JB on the bench and in the huddle - maybe he has learned a thing or two being with Coach K and others as well. I give JB a lot of credit here, especially at the end of the game keeping this young team calm and businesslike. Go Cuse!

3. JB coaching - I thought JB showed some mojo having our guys foul their team with just a 3 point lead at the end - I understand the reasoning as they were still not in the double bonus but it tells me a 70 year old can still learn a thing or two. I'm also quite surprised with the calmness of JB on the bench and in the huddle - maybe he has learned a thing or two being with Coach K and others as well. I give JB a lot of credit here, especially at the end of the game keeping this young team calm and businesslike. Go Cuse!
I was disappointed that JB didn't seem to have a solution for Iowa's trap. We were shaky at the time line the whole game and there were no adjustments that I could see.

While I wanted the team to win on both nights, I'm quite proud that the team won the second night given the high expectations of SU basketball. With a more experienced team I probably would be in meltdown mode but with this team I'm quite satisfied with what has happened so far because they have so much upside. My three things:

1. 1st half - I thought the team showed me a new level of heart and spark. They came out early with a lot more energy this game than the first. They also could have "folded" with a woe is me attitude - my gut tells me they had and showed they have the will to win for such a young team. I like where they are mentally as another loss would have been devastating.

2. 2nd half - They should me that when Iowa went on that 12-2 run at the end, the team bent but did not break. They were still aggressive and even though shots didn't go in, they didn't give up. I cannot tell you how important those end of game free throw shooting was so important for our front court guys to experience when it actually means something. Even though they didn't make them all, they made enough to win. Our front court needs this experience early when the game is on the line - cannot ask for a better way for this game to play out so early in the season. Can't get that experience playing cupcakes.

I'm not sure "folded" is the right word to use and I know you put it in parenthesis. I just think we got totally outplayed against Cal and the team looked like it had no idea what to do. Especially with Rak in foul trouble it was if they weren't prepared that situation was going to happen. I was worried most about the short turnaround between games. I wasn't sure if the team was going to come out flat or not. Well offensively Cuse did but showed a lot of moxie as the lead went to 14 or 15. Having Rak on the floor meant a lot to this team. Down the stretch was impressive especially for a freshman to knock down those two big FT's. It would have been easy to fold up and lose this game but the team didn't. That impressed me more than anything.

I like your third point -- JB is showing a lot more patience this year than usual, most likely because if he yanks his inexperienced players quickly when they make mistakes, he won't be able to put a full team on the court!:bat:-VBOF

I'm not sure "folded" is the right word to use and I know you put it in parenthesis. I just think we got totally outplayed against Cal and the team looked like it had no idea what to do. Especially with Rak in foul trouble it was if they weren't prepared that situation was going to happen. I was worried most about the short turnaround between games. I wasn't sure if the team was going to come out flat or not. Well offensively Cuse did but showed a lot of moxie as the lead went to 14 or 15. Having Rak on the floor meant a lot to this team. Down the stretch was impressive especially for a freshman to knock down those two big FT's. It would have been easy to fold up and lose this game but the team didn't. That impressed me more than anything.
We got totally outplayed against Cal because they knew what to do against the Zone and executed well against inexperienced guys who haven't had much practice at mastering its requirements. That all should change in time.-VBOF

Chakka, the most encouraging thing to me as well was that Will to Win. (There is a book published in 1957 called The Will to Live which flashed into my brain as I read your post.) Somehow, JB managed to get those kids to stop playing the negative reruns of the California game in their minds eye and to step onto the court with renewed purpose. Honestly, I didn't think they would be able to do that. Plus, the crowd at the Garden was very poor and not much energy coming our way. STILL, the guys found a way, and then hung on for the victory.

I would say they made a quantum leap from California to Iowa. :)

When teams press or trap the players have to execute on the floor. The coach can put guys in the right place, but the players still have to recognize where to make the pass or when to dribble out of trouble.

We got totally outplayed against Cal because they knew what to do against the Zone and executed well against inexperienced guys who haven't had much practice at mastering its requirements. That all should change in time.-VBOF
when teams make 4-5 nba 3's the game is always much tougher to win..

Shudder to think of facing Louisville at this point, luckily they have time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom