I'm starting to wonder if maybe the old man does know | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the old man does know

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel bad now that Kadary transferred, like he got bad advice from his "advisors". He would have had a ridiculous amount of assists on this years team.
I don't. he would be perfect for the team but left despite jb wanting him to stay.

seems He has a huge ego and thinks he knows better...but he doesn't.

Real basketball isn't an And-1 mixtape.

Video backs up that what Jake said. He appears quite heavy and was half a$$ing it on defense.

Obviously he’s got a ton of raw talent, but he’s going to end up playing less this year than he did here last year if that’s what he looks like out there.

I can be hard to get a dozen scholarship D1 basketball players on the same page. Everyone thinks they are going to the NBA etc etc. I wasn't thrilled when either of Newton or Richmond left but I knew that we'd be rolling with a team that would almost certainly have extremely good chemistry and probably have little/no off court drama. I just hope noone gets hurt because we don't really have anything behind our 8 man rotation.

We haven't seen this team play a good team yet though and we are older/more experienced I wouldn't get too carried away about pasting a Patriot League team in the Dome.

I do expect us to play well in the Bahamas and against FSU and Nova and there's no shortage of tough games early.

I'm a believer that Kadary can possibly be very good, but after their exhibition game Willard made the excuse that Kadary was banged up and after the first game Willard made the excuse that he needed to transition to man to man defense. Its not a good sign when the coach feels like he has to make excuses for a player after every game, and the second excuse is so silly that it makes me believe Willard doesn't think Kadary is any better than his stat lines suggest.
Kadary was perfect for the zone. His handlers may have bungled this big time. We’ll see how it shakes out. His Brooklyn high school assistant coach was talking smack on Twitter last winter, which was one of the signs of him being unhappy. These are the fools that are in the kid’s ear—and that Griff and our assistants have to deal with.

Carey and Goodine are the tenth men for their teams too.

Lol turn on the Providence game Brycen just came in. He has a teammate whos basically his identical twin. Justin Minaya grad sr from South Carolina. Is a forward and a little bigger and much better at basketball but its crazy how similar the two of them look.

Defensive efficiency rankings since that defensive Wizard Willard has been head coach at seton hall

10-11
Cuse 31
Hall 36

11-12
Cuse 24
Hall 58

12-13
Cuse 6
Hall 150

13-14
Cuse 31
Hall 147

14-15
Cuse 31
Hall 174

15-16
Hall 22
Syracuse 63

16-17
Hall 105
Cuse 177

17-18
Cuse 26
Hall 157

18-19
Cuse 47
Hall 120

19-20
Hall 61
Cuse 164

20-21
Cuse 138
Hall 156

Average:
Cuse 67
Hall 108

He’s a sucky defensive coach.

something about hoop. Just first games but Newton, 10 minutes 3 pts and 2 rebounds
Kadary 15 minutes 4 pts. 2 turnovers and 1 ast. Just one game but not exactly earth shattering.
And I wish both players well. But Jb didn't win all of those games by being dumb. And I have to
think he cares about winning more than we do.

Beating a dead horse here but you can't have it both ways. He recruited all of those players that are sucking it up at their new schools. The really smart thing would be to recruit and develop most of your guys and not have a revolving door of a half dozen guys every year.

Defensive efficiency rankings since that defensive Wizard Willard has been head coach at seton hall

10-11
Cuse 31
Hall 36

11-12
Cuse 24
Hall 58

12-13
Cuse 6
Hall 150

13-14
Cuse 31
Hall 147

14-15
Cuse 31
Hall 174

15-16
Hall 22
Syracuse 63

16-17
Hall 105
Cuse 177

17-18
Cuse 26
Hall 157

18-19
Cuse 47
Hall 120

19-20
Hall 61
Cuse 164

20-21
Cuse 138
Hall 156

Average:
Cuse 67
Hall 108

He’s a sucky defensive coach.

He’s a sucky coach period. Our season last year is better than anything he’s done at Seton Hall in his 13 seasons and it was an average year for us. Can’t believe there were posts on this board by people wanting him to replace JB.

Beating a dead horse here but you can't have it both ways. He recruited all of those players that are sucking it up at their new schools. The really smart thing would be to recruit and develop most of your guys and not have a revolving door of a half dozen guys every year.
How about they would have been better off here. The list of successful transfers is Bobby Lazor and BJ Johnson in the 3 decades I’ve watched Syracuse.

How about they would have been better off here. The list of successful transfers is Bobby Lazor and BJ Johnson in the 3 decades I’ve watched Syracuse.

Okay don't recruit head cases or learn how to handle your roster better.

Non of the ex-Cuse players did much on opening night. Quincy shot 2-8 from 3 with the Ducks but did lead them with 12 boards. I have this odd habit of searching for and watching games of ex-Cuse players when there is no conflict with a Cuse game or an ACC game or team. I've got lots of choices this year with the Hall. Providence, RI, Ok. St., Charlotte and Oregon. I watched a ton of RI and Providence last year where Goodine and Carey did nothing.

After watching a bit of the Seton Hall game and our first game, Kadary made a huge mistake transferring there. Playing 20-25 minutes a game with our current team would have made Kadary look like a superstar between his passing and driving ability surrounded by the shooters that we have.
Seems like a reasonable sample size from which to draw those conclusions.

Last edited:
In a perfect world…THIS^^^
The real issue w/ Kadary & Woody especially, lies in the transfer portal. These were kids like Jason Hart, et al- who would’ve stayed because transferring was much more difficult a proposition. Now all they have to do is feel a little discomfort, and they’re ready to bolt.
I have this debate with younger kids all the time. Our microwaveable society w/ it’s push-button answers on every cellphone, produces kids with no patience. Couple that with the requisite immaturity of youth, and you have what we’ve seen amplified in the portal this year.

Okay don't recruit head cases or learn how to handle your roster better.
No one knows what goes on in practice, team meetings, locker room school or on the road. Sometimes, PT is used as rewards/punishment.
IDC who transfers. I care who is on the team this year.
We have benefitted from transfers taken in far more than other schools have from our transfers out. Rautins, Blackwell, Ellis, to name a few.
History is in JB’s side here.

No one knows what goes on in practice, team meetings, locker room school or on the road. Sometimes, PT is used as rewards/punishment.
IDC who transfers. I care who is on the team this year.
We have benefitted from transfers taken in far more than other schools have from our transfers out. Rautins, Blackwell, Ellis, to name a few.
History is in JB’s side here.
Keep going. Silent G., Wes Johnson, Andrew White, etc. the players coming would rout the players leaving in our history.

Last year I saw the same potential in Kadary that others saw and was enthusiastic about what his skills might mean for the team playing at the top of the zone.

But by the 2nd week of January, when the team was struggling to win against the better teams on the schedule, the community of Boeheim critics in the fan base saw an opportunity to start blaming the team's struggles on Jim Boeheim's flawed coaching decisions and/or emotional defects.

From their comfortable seats at home watching games with the remote in their hands, they talked each other into a mystical faith that they were smarter than the head coach, whom they assumed could not see what they saw in Kadary, cuz they assumed his perception of comparative talent was critically flawed, or cuz his judgment was 'corrupted' by some kind of misguided feelings of loyalty to Joe, etc...

Not me. I didn't understand why Kadary was not in the game when Joe was struggling, but I also knew that I didn't know what Boeheim knew from watching his guys every day in practice. He was the guy who had all the data upon which to base his rotation decisions. Having learned from decades of experience developing teams over the course of a season, he's come to always trust experience over raw potential.

That's why I always defer to Boeheim's coaching decisions. I have indeed shaken my head at some of Jim's calls, but I ultimately know I have to give him the benefit of the doubt because he keeps delivering amazing seasons of achievement even with 2nd Tier Talent (as in recent seasons).

Last year he did it again. His fan base critics assumed he was only able to take his team to another Sweet Sixteen because he finally listened to their supreme wisdom re: playing Jesse more. Anyone who knows anything about Jim Boeheim knows that he's a stubborn man. That's why he never gave a second of thought to what critical fans were saying, or even former players, and continued to follow his own counsel, making his decisions based on his knowledge of the game.

IMO, last year was one of JB's greatest coaching achievements. His ability to get that group to eliminate their mistakes and maximize their advantages was what made their big run at the end possible. Kadary certainly had/has potential. But Boeheim's seen zillions of players with his kind of potential and knows what they might be able to achieve if they work especially hard at perfecting their talents. Kadary had not won him over with his play & practice habits so he was not going to be getting a starting nod just because he wanted it.

I don't wish Kadary ill and hope he figures it out. But based on reports, he's not the Future NBA star that many Boeheim critics were trying to convince themselves he was...

Last edited:
something about hoop. Just first games but Newton, 10 minutes 3 pts and 2 rebounds
Kadary 15 minutes 4 pts. 2 turnovers and 1 ast. Just one game but not exactly earth shattering.
And I wish both players well. But Jb didn't win all of those games by being dumb. And I have to
think he cares about winning more than we do.
Not sure what your angle is here, because everyone on this board knows and agrees with your point that Boeheim knows something about hoops. However, regarding Kadary (especially), no. That situation was a fail. Imagine Kadary starting at point now with Joe coming off the bench - we could be lethal and SHOULD have happened. That said, I will support those on the team and I have moved on, but this kind of post brings me back to disappointment that many of us had with how things were handled last year (which were poor at best - even from a hall of famer who knows hoops).

it really does come down to talent - JB taking recent teams to sweet 16s and final fours is incredible considering the talent he had to work with - he's the opposite of calipari.

the sanctions really hurt but somehow JB skated through it all...when MANY MANY coaches wouldve folded.

I've been a critic at times of some of the moves and stubbornness ...but at the end of the day, fans deserve a bit of benefit of the doubt for their opinions as they are only seeing part of the data that a coach does.

on another note, i think its very revealing if indeed kadary is out of shape and overweight - says a lot about him...i didnt really expect that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom