In CFB it seems like talent disparities show up in 3 areas OL, DL, and DBs | Syracusefan.com

In CFB it seems like talent disparities show up in 3 areas OL, DL, and DBs

Alsacs

Living Legend
In college football it appears there is enough skill position talent for all teams to have good offenses. Their isn't much disparity between the top teams WRs/RBs/TEs/LBs. I mean obviously there are elite guys who are better but the talent can be spread out. Where you see teams with talent disparity show up you see it on the offensive line, defensive backs and especially on the defensive lines.

These are the areas our program need to beef up to the P5 level. We are never getting the athletes on the DL that Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame teams can recruit. Instead, we need to get the athletes that peer schools are getting. Until we have a couple of classes full of 3 star DL, OL, DBs that is where the talent disparity will kill us.

QBs are obviously necessary as well but those tend to be system orientated more than talent orientated in modern college football.

Personally, I believe that Steven is every bit a P5 OL/DL; committable offers from Ole Miss, Penn State, Florida, and Vandy. Clemson, Louisville, and SC invited him to camp (personal invite, not a form letter), and I feel they would've offered had we taken the trips there.

In college football it appears there is enough skill position talent for all teams to have good offenses. Their isn't much disparity between the top teams WRs/RBs/TEs/LBs. I mean obviously there are elite guys who are better but the talent can be spread out. Where you see teams with talent disparity show up you see it on the offensive line, defensive backs and especially on the defensive lines.

These are the areas our program need to beef up to the P5 level. We are never getting the athletes on the DL that Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame teams can recruit. Instead, we need to get the athletes that peer schools are getting. Until we have a couple of classes full of 3 star DL, OL, DBs that is where the talent disparity will kill us.

QBs are obviously necessary as well but those tend to be system orientated more than talent orientated in modern college football.
this is part of the reason why i'm all in on offensive scheme - i'm pessimistic about gaining advantage in other ways. easier to have a big advantage on peers in systems and philosophy than in recruiting monsters on the line and dbs who aren't midgets.

Personally, I believe that Steven is every bit a P5 OL/DL; committable offers from Ole Miss, Penn State, Florida, and Vandy. Clemson, Louisville, and SC invited him to camp (personal invite, not a form letter), and I feel they would've offered had we taken the trips there.
But, does a program in solid/good shape count on your son without a red shirt year and maybe not until his junior or senior season?

But, does a program in solid/good shape count on your son without a red shirt year and maybe not until his junior or senior season?
Beats me. Can tell you for sure that Florida said Steven would most likely not have red shirted last year. As a general rule, though, a program in good shape wouldn't play true frosh OD/DL.

There are, though, exceptions. For instance, 'Bama played Da'ron Payne. Texas A&M played Daylon Mack. Clemson's LT played as a true frosh last year, and won ACC honors (Steven didn't think he was that great). So, it's not completely unheard of.

Beats me. Can tell you for sure that Florida said Steven would most likely not have red shirted last year. As a general rule, though, a program in good shape wouldn't play true frosh OD/DL.

There are, though, exceptions. For instance, 'Bama played Da'ron Payne. Texas A&M played Daylon Mack. Clemson's LT played as a true frosh last year, and won ACC honors (Steven didn't think he was that great). So, it's not completely unheard of.
Game last night; Ed Oliver for UH, wow...

We've got two horses on the DL, but we need a few more. It's too bad Thompson left and those dismissals happened. We'd be in pretty good shape with them.

We've done ok on the DL in recent years though. Art Jones, Chandler Jones, Bromley, and Thompson were all studs. We really haven't had many stud OL though, even in the 90s. Pugh is the only guy who I can think of that was really a big-time player there.

Our DB talent has dropped off a cliff recently. I can't get over how small we are there. Just as recently as a couple years ago we at least had the safety from Miami who left early(blanking on his name) who was big, strong, and fast. Seems like our highly regarded DBs never qualify. It's killing us.

I swear to god I wasn't even talking about this Syracuse team at all in my post. I think your son is a fine player. I was just making my point about college football in general. The gaps on the rosters between the top teams and middle teams is on the lines and backfield. I think the skill positions gaps between teams isn'tas big as the gap between those 3 positions I listed.
Your son had plenty of P5 offers and is exactly the player we need a roster of.

Here is a complete list of Clemson players selected in the 2015 & 2016 NFL Draft:

Shaq Lawson
Kevin Dodd
MacKensie Alexander
T.J. Green
B.J. Goodson
D.J. Reader
Charone Peake
Jayron Kearse
Zac Brooks
Vic Beasley
Stephone Anthony
Grady Jarrett
Bradley Pinion
Tony Steward

Here is a complete list of Syracuse players selected in the 2015 & 2016 NFL Draft:

Riley Dixon

Here is a complete list of Clemson players selected in the 2015 & 2016 NFL Draft:

Shaq Lawson
Kevin Dodd
MacKensie Alexander
T.J. Green
B.J. Goodson
D.J. Reader
Charone Peake
Jayron Kearse
Zac Brooks
Vic Beasley
Stephone Anthony
Grady Jarrett
Bradley Pinion
Tony Steward

Here is a complete list of Syracuse players selected in the 2015 & 2016 NFL Draft:

Riley Dixon
And yet, amazingly, we only lost by 10 last year. Who knows what'll happen this year?

We've got the will. Now we need to find a way. The talent disparity is daunting. I only had the heart to show two years of drafts.

our 3/4 DL are fine but we need a few behind them. Our ends will be fine but we need a few more. yes, typically games are won in the trenches. I believe we'll be fine once the roster imbalance is corrected

Babers is going to need 3/4 years to get where we want to be.

I think you're right, but the problem here is that Steven, and others on the D with him are already pressed into duty.

At some of the bigger schools, he's probably got 2 years to learn and lift. 3rd year on the 2 deep. 4th and 5th year to start.

Syracuse isn't going to be all that successful until we get the continuity to manage the roster like this.

I think you're right, but the problem here is that Steven, and others on the D with him are already pressed into duty.

At some of the bigger schools, he's probably got 2 years to learn and lift. 3rd year on the 2 deep. 4th and 5th year to start.

Syracuse isn't going to be all that successful until we get the continuity to manage the roster like this.
Excellent points.

I'm just glad that Steve chose to attend Syracuse University!

True, its DE depth that is the difference. I love our d tackles and the young talent at DE. our backers have been below average and our dbs have been poorly recruited, undersized, and bitten with injuries and non qualification. Then, there was the brilliant decision by Eskridge to declare.