Inside Lacrosse Power 100 Freshmen

2020 Incoming Class — Five Stars​

2. Owen Hiltz | A | Culver Academy (Ind.) | Syracuse

1612547602947.png

2020 Incoming Class — Four Stars​

47. Jackson Birtwistle | A | Radnor (Pa.) | Syracuse
100. Caden Kol | D | Salisbury (Conn.) | Syracuse

Ty Xanders has come through with the Power 100 Freshmen
Sorry. After the first 10-15 which are somewhat obvious, This list makes Xander’s look like such a gomer. None of these kids have played lacrosse in 18 months. Just the same old rehash of his 2019 notebook which includes emails from people who say they saw some of these players. Meaningless.

Sorry. After the first 10-15 which are somewhat obvious, This list makes Xander’s look like such a gomer. None of these kids have played lacrosse in 18 months. Just the same old rehash of his 2019 notebook which includes emails from people who say they saw some of these players. Meaningless.
Gotta walk that back a little this morning. The rankings dont have much meaning. It is great to get to know a little about future college lacrosse players. We will see who develops in the next couple of years.

I think it goes a little further than the top 15. I think that players ranked in the 20's have a higher "chance for success", than those in the 70's for example. I think the curve of "chance of success" starts to really flatten out as one gets beyond 40.

This year without the recruits having played their senior high school season the rankings are even more inaccurate than usual.

I think it goes a little further than the top 15. I think that players ranked in the 20's have a higher "chance for success", than those in the 70's for example. I think the curve of "chance of success" starts to really flatten out as one gets beyond 40.

This year without the recruits having played their senior high school season the rankings are even more inaccurate than usual.
Agreed.

That is true. But how should we define “success”. Play time might be one yard stick. But this board is debating how much play time #2 Hiltze will get this year. At Rutgers for example,(and dozens of other programs) he would be a starter or even “the guy”. I think the programs have more Schollarship money invested in the top 25 so they have an interest in seeing them succeed/produce. Half of the freshman class at Cuse will make it. They are 19 playing with 23 year old men. They will physically mature and will be starters or see lots of minutes. The question is which half. That list is like looking into a crystal ball, but after #20 it gets cloudy.

It is hard to judge success. I don't know that success just relates to success as a freshman. Hiltz could still be a success, even if he played sparingly this year, but became a star down the road.

Of course, what we consider success is different for a #2 ranked player and a #70 ranked player. For the #2 player, we are expecting him to be a star, where as the #70 player just becoming a contributor as a junior or senior might be enough.

As I say I think being in the 20's or even 30's is plus.
2015 #30 Nick Mellen
2016 #34 Jamie Trimboli
2017 #27 Tucker Dordevic

In fairness to the recruit rankers, there are a number of recruits who don't pan out due to injuries. Then there is a smaller group that don't really make it because of off-the-field issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom