Inside Overtime Elite | Syracusefan.com

Inside Overtime Elite

why would the avg fan care about this.. if you have a college team it matters not and the pro lovers until you see them on your court why do you care? so who is the market of people who but into this?

much like the Mdcondalds all star games if you dont have guys going to your school do you even pay attention to it?

why would the avg fan care about this.. if you have a college team it matters not and the pro lovers until you see them on your court why do you care? so who is the market of people who but into this?

much like the Mdcondalds all star games if you dont have guys going to your school do you even pay attention to it?
It’s like watching a Freshman team (not even JV) G league game. How many even watch G League games?

It’s like watching a Freshman team (not even JV) G league game. How many even watch G League games?
if you had a G league team in your town and nothing else maybe you go if some high end talent dude is there you saw in college but are you going 20 times a yr?

They've got some serious financial backers. Unregulated space = rapid expansion.
What’s the play here? Is it to get hooked up with these kids early in their career with the hopes they rep them as an agent and get a big cut of their future earnings? Because there’s no way they’ll make any money on attendance. I can’t see this drawing many fans.

What’s the play here? Is it to get hooked up with these kids early in their career with the hopes they rep them as an agent and get a big cut of their future earnings? Because there’s no way they’ll make any money on attendance. I can’t see this drawing many fans.
I have no business major but it would seem to me if they can just get a handful of some top tier kids every year they stand a decent chance of getting a kid who ends up being a superstar. If they can just get a percentage of those multiyear nba contract money then it's all probably worth it. Bring kids in coach em up show them love and the returns could be disproportionately high if some of those kids stick for a long time. And they'd have enough money to stick around if they strike out for a few years.

I’m attached to the laundry. I don’t care about the overall level of play as long as we’re at the high end of that level.

My guess is that they hope the NBA comes in a buys an interest in the league or asks to have the league merge with the G-League.

For some, it's a matter of you've got to spend it on something. Especially with possible new taxes on the horizon.

There is a more then marginal amount of fans that watch NCAA games purely for prospects. Nowhere near as big as traditional college fan bases but it is not a small number. I know on the Raptors board the amount of people that watch NCAA games for prospects far outnumbers those that watch NCAA games because they enjoy the NCAA or a team. And there is quite a number of them that watch games with prospects.

Remember that Live Sports, for even events that draw marginal audiences are drawing strong TV rights - nothing like it was 10 years ago.

They may also be trying to set up as some part of the NBA "farm system" and get a relationship with the NBA. Note that many NBA exec' have changed their view as the NCAA as being the best way to develop players (for some players anyway) -- in part because many of them have got their organization's own head out of their asses in trying to make G League development important.

I think chances are that this will not make it, but I would not completely write it off either.

I'm not sure why some are bothered here by it. They say they hate the one and done types, so here you go. You will get more continuity in college, but you won't get as many top prospects. But you will get some.

Last edited:
There is a more then marginal amount of fans that watch NCAA games purely for prospects. Nowhere near as big as traditional college fan bases but it is not a small number. I know on the Raptors board the amount of people that watch NCAA games for prospects far outnumbers those that watch NCAA games because they enjoy the NCAA or a team. And there is quite a number of them that watch games with prospects.

Remember that Live Sports, for even events that draw marginal audiences are drawing strong TV rights - nothing like it was 10 years ago.

They may also be trying to set up as some part of the NBA "farm system" and get a relationship with the NBA. Note that many NBA exec' have changed their view as the NCAA as being the best way to develop players (for some players anyway) -- in part because many of them have got their organization's own head out of their asses in trying to make G League development important.

I think chances are that this will not make it, but I would not completely write it off either.

I'm not sure why some are bothered here by it. They say they hate the one and done types, so here you go. You will get more continuity in college, but you won't get as many top prospects. But you will get some.

Your comment about ridiculously high tv rights is spot on, but perhaps not long term.

You have several streaming services competing to be the core that we all watch going forward, including some of the biggest companies in the world throwing money around like it's nothing.

Disney, Apple and Amazon are all spending way more money on content than they are pulling in on their streaming services. This is forcing Paramount, Hulu, HBO and Netflix to bid up promising projects and known brands.

Several of these streaming services will collapse and the money will dry up eventually.

Sports and reality TV is comparatively cheaper (Amazon spent $250 million on the rights to Lord of the Rings, nevermind the additional amount to actually make a show!) exclusive and often comes with it's own fan base.

But after three services disappear or consolidate, the money will come down to amounts that make profitability possible for the remaining services... After all, Apple, Amazon and Disney are not in it to make directors and producers rich, they are all about shareholders. Costs will have to come down even as subscribers and fees go up. So sports will lose some of the big money flying around now.

Disclosure: I own Disney, Apple and the parent company for HBO. I'm not suggesting buying these companies for their streaming services which are all money sinks. I love accidentally going on rants about finance on basketball boards... Carry on :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom