Insteresting contrast in SI's coverage of the semi-finals | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Insteresting contrast in SI's coverage of the semi-finals

Florida twice with Urban Meyer. Tennessee won it about 20 years ago.

Georgia has also won it in 02 & 05 and will be on an uptick with Kirby Smart ... Tenn & UGA are both schools that will make a push to move up the latter ... along with UF

Ohio State was a top 4 team that had a QB that didn't fit Urban Meyer's regular offense slow them down. Cardale Jones has more NFL potential than he does Urban Meyer offense potential. Meyer needs a dual threat QB for his offense which Barrett has brought to the OSU offense. The OC of Ohio State lost the Michigan State game with that gameplan.
Cardale Jones: 10-0 as starter, wins over #1 Alabama, #2 Oregon, #13 Wisconsin, Virginia Tech
JT Barrett: 15-2 as starter, wins over #8 Michigan State, #10 Michigan. #8 Notre Dame. Losses to unranked V-Tech and #9 Michigan State

I agree with your overall premise (That Ohio State should've been in the playoffs), but I disagree with your notion that they were better with Barrett. Sure the stats looked better, but a Barrett ran offense didn't play into Ohio State's ultimate strength, Ezekial Elliot. Case in point, the Michigan State game. Barrett had 31 plays (passes and runs). Elliot had 12. In Jones' three big wins, they ran the offense through Elliot for 25+ touches/game.

It just reminded me too much of all the hate that Hunt got because the offense was ugly but he was 9-7 as a starter while everyone else was 5-16.

Georgia has also won it in 02 & 05 and will be on an uptick with Kirby Smart ... Tenn & UGA are both schools that will make a push to move up the latter ... along with UF

I'm talking about national championships. The Dawgs haven't contended for a title since the days of Herschel Walker.

I'm talking about national championships. The Dawgs haven't contended for a title since the days of Herschel Walker.

Ok but he said SEC championships which was what I was referring to.

I'm not sure what a better "job" is. I just know based off the last 4-5 years that Clemson is a much better program with much better players than USC or Texas.

I remember listening to a guy on college sports radio recently talking about Texas. He said in the last five years that somebody throwing darts at a newspaper listing of Texas recruits could have done better than Texas did in their recruiting in the lone star state.

You can't call a program a 5 star program because they have been pretty good for 3-4 years. Is Baylor a 5 Star program too, No. Maybe if both Clemson and Baylor can sustain their success for another 5-10 years they will be but they are not there yet. Texas has been a great program since forever, same with USC, Oklahoma, FSU, Ohio State, and a few others.

Also, there is a lot more competition for those Texas kids than there used to be. Now Texas not only has to go against Oklahoma but they have to go against stronger in state programs Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M, Houston along with LSU and some others.

Georgia was 3 yards away from the NC in 2012. They lost the SEC Title game in a heartbreaker to Bama 32-28. If Murray didn't brainfart UGA would have won.

Bama beat ND for the NC 3 weeks later 42-14 and UGA would have likely destroyed them as well. UGA has been close to the NC under Richt they just didn't finish and were really close. In 2008 they were the hottest team in the country and finished #2 in the final poll. They should have played LSU in the SEC title game but lost a tiebreaker to a bad Tennessee team and that helped 2 loss LSU get into the NC game and they beat overrated Ohio State.

Florida twice with Urban Meyer. Tennessee won it about 20 years ago.

Ok, so Urban Meyer took a year or two off before he took the Ohio State job, so that must have been 2008 or so since the last time an SEC east team won that SEC championship. That's why it seemed like a long time.

Btw, I wouldn't count out TCU just yet. Yes, Oregon is dominating early, but back on 11/22/15, TCU went into Norman, Oklahoma without Boykin and they lost late to Oklahoma 30-29.

Last edited:
Ok, so Urban Meyer took a year or two off before he took the Ohio State job, so that must have been 2008 or so since the last time an SEC east team won that SEC championship. That's why it seemed like a long time.

Btw, I wouldn't count out TCU just yet. Yes, Oregon is dominating early, but back on 11/22/15, TCU went into Norman, Oklahoma without Boykin and they lost late to Oklahoma 30-29.
Are you serious? TCU can't stop Oregon. That game O-V-E-R.

TCU got Temple of Doomed when Boykin got suspended yesterday.

Are you serious? TCU can't stop Oregon. That game O-V-E-R.

TCU got Temple of Doomed when Boykin got suspended yesterday.

Well, I mean TCU almost beat Oklahoma in Norman without Boykin, so I would guess that TCU has at least a chance against Oregon in San Antonio, Texas.

Last edited:
You can't call a program a 5 star program because they have been pretty good for 3-4 years. Is Baylor a 5 Star program too, No. Maybe if both Clemson and Baylor can sustain their success for another 5-10 years they will be but they are not there yet. Texas has been a great program since forever, same with USC, Oklahoma, FSU, Ohio State, and a few others.

Also, there is a lot more competition for those Texas kids than there used to be. Now Texas not only has to go against Oklahoma but they have to go against stronger in state programs Baylor, TCU, Texas A&M, Houston along with LSU and some others.

And you can't call a program a five star program when they've been irrelevant for several years.

Georgia was 3 yards away from the NC in 2012. They lost the SEC Title game in a heartbreaker to Bama 32-28. If Murray didn't brainfart UGA would have won.

Bama beat ND for the NC 3 weeks later 42-14 and UGA would have likely destroyed them as well. UGA has been close to the NC under Richt they just didn't finish and were really close. In 2008 they were the hottest team in the country and finished #2 in the final poll. They should have played LSU in the SEC title game but lost a tiebreaker to a bad Tennessee team and that helped 2 loss LSU get into the NC game and they beat overrated Ohio State.

Poor wording on my part. BY contending I meant playing in a NC. They haven't.

TCU looks like the walking dead in this game. Hopefully they can keep the deficit under 40.

Last edited:
TCU looks like the walking dead in this game. Hopefully the can keep the deficit under 40.

Oregon just lost Vernon Adams, Jr., so TCU has a golden opportunity to capitalize in San Antonio.

Oregon just lost Vernon Adams, Jr., so TCU has a golden opportunity to capitalize in San Antonio.

They could play this game in Gary Patterson's back yard and bring LaDainian Tomlinson back and I don't think they'd win the game.

They could play this game in Gary Patterson's back yard and bring LaDainian Tomlinson back and I don't think they'd win the game.

Lol. If TCU ends up losing big anyway I have wonder what the heck happened in Norman with Oklahoma barely beating TCU without Boykin.

Lol. If TCU ends up losing big anyway I have wonder what the heck happened in Norman with Oklahoma barely beating TCU without Boykin.

OU had the good fortune of facing several rivals with back up QBs. Turns out they weren't as good as the hype.

31-0 with a backup QB and team totally dejected. This game is over. Oregon could run every down and TCU can't stop them.

Funny to watch Danny Kanell on the halftime shows. Known for being one of the biggest SEC trolls in history. Last bowl season he was yuckin' it up with a smile from ear to ear. This year kinda quiet.

OU had the good fortune of facing several rivals with back up QBs. Turns out they weren't as good as the hype.

Yeah, Oklahoma improved a lot over last season, but the 1-point win at home over TCU without Boykin raises some questions especially if TCU fails to make a comeback with Oregon's QB now out.

Funny to watch Danny Kanell on the halftime shows. Known for being one of the biggest SEC trolls in history. Last bowl season he was yuckin' it up with a smile from ear to ear. This year kinda quiet.

Last season the ACC played well against SEC teams in bowl games, and I think that pleased him for sure. Personally, I like the interaction between Kanell and Galloway.

Last season the ACC played well against SEC teams in bowl games, and I think that pleased him for sure. Personally, I like the interaction between Kanell and Galloway.

Me too. Galloway is better than I originally thought.

Oregon just doesn't look the same without V. Adams, Jr. and especially with the replacement center. TCU looks like they have a shot here.

Oregon just doesn't look the same without V. Adams, Jr. and especially with the replacement center. TCU looks like they have a shot here.

I can tell you're a glass full kind of guy. I like it.

And you can't call a program a five star program when they've been irrelevant for several years.

That's the point you are missing. Texas, USC, Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, etc. are 5 star programs no matter how many wins they get each year. They can do really crappy, like Michigan for the last 3-4 years and they are still better programs than Clemson and Baylor and always will be.