Is ish too slow for the scheme? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is ish too slow for the scheme?

jgeorge322 said:
This is a separate point but i hope we get to a point where we can run the ball even if a team like colgate wants to takw that away

Why?

Babers said the play that was there was passing every play - but he didn't want to do that and he was being stubborn. Yards gained against a 7 or 8 man front count the same as passing yards. Take what the D gives you.

Why?

Babers said the play that was there was passing every play - but he didn't want to do that and he was being stubborn. Yards gained against a 7 or 8 man front count the same as passing yards. Take what the D gives you.

Because its colgate and i think we should be able to run the ball against an FCS team.

May have been a case of Gate focusing their defensive scheme on the knowns. Stop the run, shadow Dungey and shade coverage to Bris and Steve. Like others I expect big things from Ishmael in this offense.

Last edited:
Because its colgate and i think we should be able to run the ball against an FCS team.
This is not your normal FCS team, this is not the Charlotte's of FCS. Our running game does need improvement sure, BUT the basis of this offense is to take what the offense gives us. Dino even said in his presser he was bone headed for running the ball so much.

Colgate returned a very solid, experienced front 7.
And they were stacking the box.

So, you'd be mistaken.

If the defense puts 7 in the box I wouldn't expect to ever run the football. You could see 98% passing in those type games. Not going to see the meathead mentality

Colgate returned a very solid, experienced front 7.
And they were stacking the box.

So, you'd be mistaken.

well, thats just like, my opinion man... So deal with it

Very happy w the opener!!

This is not your normal FCS team, this is not the Charlotte's of FCS. Our running game does need improvement sure, BUT the basis of this offense is to take what the offense gives us. Dino even said in his presser he was bone headed for running the ball so much.

I wasnt saying we should be running it up and down the field but fare better than we did. Like to have seen a bit better of a push up front.

I wasnt saying we should be running it up and down the field but fare better than we did. Like to have seen a bit better of a push up front.
I agree that we need more of a push up front, I've seen a lot of post about how bad our run game was. Lot's of folks, not saying you, have missed the fact of how good Colgates front 7 is and how much they sold out to stop the run. We will need a better run game going forward.

This offense really does have so many weapons. We have the ability to put up big numbers every game.

I'm way more worried about the offensive line giving Dungey enough time to make his deeper reads. It all begins and ends there.

I know Ish the few times he actually ran longer routes turned his guy into a pretzel. My question is more what happened to Estime. But i also think other than the new kid we ran very few of the normal routes that I saw out of BG last year. more flat than vertical.

IthacaBarrel said:
If the defense puts 7 in the box I wouldn't expect to ever run the football. You could see 98% passing in those type games. Not going to see the meathead mentality

Bingo.

I hate to ever compare pro and college, because they are radically different games at this point, but as a Pats fan I've seen Belichick throw the ball 20 straight plays. If a team stacks the line and dares him to pass then he passes it over and over and over again. And it works. Dino will do the same. It's great.

I've never understood the Ishmael hype but hopefully he proves me wrong this season.
Really? Come on. He has great hands and has carried all of the other receivers up to this point.

Ishmael will be just fine. He is a workhorse who will do whatever he has to to be successful.

There was talking at the end of last year about what round he would eventually ho in the draft and know some are unsure if he fits Babets scheme. Give me a break. It was the firdt game..,

Bingo.

I hate to ever compare pro and college, because they are radically different games at this point, but as a Pats fan I've seen Belichick throw the ball 20 straight plays. If a team stacks the line and dares him to pass then he passes it over and over and over again. And it works. Dino will do the same. It's great.
And just look at who his backup QB is! The parallel is there.

Dungy will get better and better with his quick progressions and once the line starts to mesh this whole thing will be one fluid machine...including Ish who I have complete faith in.

Syracuse was in total control of the game at that point. IMO, I think Dino purposely took his foot off the gas. I have the feeling, he has way too much respect for the Colgate coaching staff to run up the score. They consider themselves "football" neighbors and I think there's a really good relationship there.

If it was someone other than Colgate, I think we keep taking what the D gives us.

Again, just my opinion, based on the game and pre/post game conferences.

Last edited:
sufandu said:
I thought the scheme was supposed to help guys get open. I can't imagine he'd be good in an inferior scheme and disappear in this one. Maybe Colgate focused on him because he was a known quantity.

This is what I saw looked like colgate was keying on him and got smoked by AETwooooooo and others who were left open. This offense takes what is given. Having that performance from the other recievers will help Ishmael because he wont get 100% focus every game.

Some of you are hilarious, how many times did we get upset when Notre Dame completed pass after pass on bubble screens, and we weren't able to stop it? If a team wants to let us march down the field to score on passing plays, so what, if you score almost all the time, you win, and that's the only thing that counts, winning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom