Expectations for next season. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Expectations for next season.

What’s everyone’s expectations for year two under Red?

I’ll get mine out there before portal season really takes off. I basically expect a type of season Clemson had this year…

Flirt with the top 25 off and on.
Win multiple games against elite competition in the regular season
Win at least one ACCT game
Be in the tournament comfortably(top 7 seed)
Be capable of a deep march(I said capable because we know the tourney is a crapshoot)
I’m here.,

People saying wait and see how the roster shakes out... smh... that's part of Red's job to get it right.

What are you "shaking your head" about?

How could anyone make an accurate prediction when half the team likely isn't returning and will need to be replaced, including several principal contributors?

At this point, with so many unknowns, forecasting is pointless.

I can't stand what NIL and the transfer portal has become. I am all for players getting compensated for image and likeness, but what its become is really bad for the game. Also what's really bad for the game is the portal. If a player wants to transfer fine, go on to greener pastures, but why not bring back the 1 year waiting period to play? Those two things have led to almost entirely new teams every year unless you have unlimited NIL. Bad for the coaches, the fans, the game, and not great for the players (unless they are getting $$$). That said, my hope is for a fun team that is easy to root for, plays together and makes the tourny as a 6 or 7 and competes for 3 or 4th in the ACC.
Waiting period isn't coming back. Best we can hope is acknowledgment that these kids are professionals and structure their contracts so that BOTH parties are satisfied with the terms. Coaches will want a multi-year commitment with reasonable buyout clauses.

Next season will depend on how Red answers 2 questions:
1. Who is the PG?
Red cannot let himself get hung up waiting until June for Mintz to decide if he's coming back. All the good PGs in the portal will be signed by then. Wish Judah well and move on. Get a top PG from the portal. The Harvard PG who was Freeman's high school teammate might be a good get.

2. Who is the center?
We need a legit center who can score and pass out of double teams. Not an undersized forward trying to play center against much bigger dudes. Kudos to Brown for doing as well as he did this year but he needs to play forward. If not we can look forward to another year of being bullied in the paint and outrebounded every game.

If Red gets good answers for these 2 spots and with Freeman and Moore coming in there's no reason not to be tourney team next season.

I can't stand what NIL and the transfer portal has become. I am all for players getting compensated for image and likeness, but what its become is really bad for the game. Also what's really bad for the game is the portal. If a player wants to transfer fine, go on to greener pastures, but why not bring back the 1 year waiting period to play? Those two things have led to almost entirely new teams every year unless you have unlimited NIL. Bad for the coaches, the fans, the game, and not great for the players (unless they are getting $$$). That said, my hope is for a fun team that is easy to root for, plays together and makes the tourny as a 6 or 7 and competes for 3 or 4th in the ACC.

The NCAA can't enforce it.

How could anyone make an accurate prediction when half the team likely isn't returning and will need to be replaced, including several principal contributors?

It's not about making predictions, the OP is about setting expectations. That would include the off-season which is perhaps now the most critical time of year.

I think it would be disappointing if we’re unable to bring in enough talent to be a tournament team next season.

But I think that’s a little different from expectations. My expectation right now is that we end up right around where we were this season because I’m a bit skeptical that we’ll be able to upgrade the roster and we were probably worse than our record indicated this season anyways.

I think some are confusing expectations with forecasting. We can forecast all we want after the roster is set. Right now my expectations for next year are tournament or bust. If it isn't that then Red wasn't the right hire.

To be clear I was a big supporter of Red this year and his work overall.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't expect more. Other schools have rebuilt quickly. I won't name them because that will start a firestorm, but under no circumstances am I OK with missing the tournament next year no matter what the excuse is.

Mr. Brown, Mr. White, Mr. Blonde, Mr. Blue, Mr. Orange and maybe Mr. Pink.

I think some are confusing expectations with forecasting. We can forecast all we want after the roster is set. Right now my expectations for next year are tournament or bust. If it isn't that then Red wasn't the right hire.

To be clear I was a big supporter of Red this year and his work overall.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't expect more. Other schools have rebuilt quickly. I won't name them because that will start a firestorm, but under no circumstances am I OK with missing the tournament next year no matter what the excuse is.

With that clarification, then NCAA tournament is my minimum threshold expectation for our program. I'd be satisfied with that, after a three year hiatus.

Anything less, then I'm right there with you -- as a fellow Red enthusiast.

People saying wait and see how the roster shakes out... smh... that's part of Red's job to get it right.
Yeah, but do I expect a tournament team that wasn't on the bubble or a top 10 team? We have to wait to see how the roster shakes out before we can have an expectation.

Last edited:
I think it would be disappointing if we’re unable to bring in enough talent to be a tournament team next season.

But I think that’s a little different from expectations. My expectation right now is that we end up right around where we were this season because I’m a bit skeptical that we’ll be able to upgrade the roster and we were probably worse than our record indicated this season anyways.

My default prediction for the last few years has been within a game or two of 500 in conf, and right around the noon Thursday ACC tournament game.

I just went back and checked, for the last 10 seasons we have been within 2 games of 500 in ACC play. Over the last 10 season we are 95-91 in ACC play. So my default prediction for next year is going to be around 10-10 in the league and probably on the wrong side of the bubble.

I do agree with the people saying theres really no excuse not to be able to turn a team around quickly in this day and age.

I get what he's saying. It's not about predictions, it's expectations for year two. To that end, it's Red's job to build a roster that can and will compete.

I get what he's saying. It's not about predictions, it's expectations for year two. To that end, it's Red's job to build a roster that can and will compete.

That's fine -- and what the OP clarified later on.

But when I read a post that says: "what are your expectations for next year?" I interpret that to mean what do I expect / predict will happen?

Not what are my minimum threshold requirements for how the team will perform.

Semantics, I get it. But it appears that lots of posters were confused by the original premise, and indicated that their "expectations" [i.e., predictions for how the team would perform] was contingent upon where the roster eventually lands.

Continuous Improvement dudes. This is a pro league it's no longer students and their coaches just trying their best. In case you're wondering half the players in the sweet 16 are 24 year olds and some 25+ with some making close to 7 figures on their 3rd or 4th school.

Autry must improve the roster, the defense, the offense and get more wins. The result would be the tournament after improving on 20 wins.

eh...theres so much talent in the portal...getting talent will not be an issue - it shouldnt be ...choosing the right talent might be - but thats on the coaches. i mean, ALL of these portal players cannot go to the "bluebloods"...

I cant imagine the team does not have a better record next season - the schedule will be much softer, the coaching will (hopefully) be much better and the roster will also (hopefully) be much better as well.

Im expecting a deep roster without all of the deadweight this year's had - westry, mcleod, hima, carey, patterson etc...either healthy or replaced by players that can actually contribute...

I don't know if I can watch JJ and Bell attempt to play defense next season if its the same as this year.
I def can't. Im hoping we get plenty of depth.

What’s everyone’s expectations for year two under Red?

I’ll get mine out there before portal season really takes off. I basically expect a type of season Clemson had this year…

Flirt with the top 25 off and on.
Win multiple games against elite competition in the regular season
Win at least one ACCT game
Be in the tournament comfortably(top 7 seed)
Be capable of a deep march(I said capable because we know the tourney is a crapshoot)
The results in W/L and tourney berth, etc. probably go hand-in-hand for me, but even if we’re not at those levels I’d love to see a bit more success with offseason additions to the roster and some significant growth in our approach offensively and defensively.

Felt like we’ll-coached teams got anything they wanted against our defense almost all year (even in games we won) and thought our offense grew but was still pretty minimalist.

I could live with a little less than the results you laid out if I felt like we at least had a system and identity to lean in and recruit to. Thought Red did a pretty solid job Year 1, but hoping he learns from it and grows in Year 2. And yeah, hopefully we see that in the results on the floor.

I agree but it’s a weird world where it’s hard to build toward anything so every year is sort of zero sum. It’s the job Red’s got, so I agree it’s just part of the deal. But I do feel for some of these guys trying to build a program. Tough to do with so little continuity and no ability to slowly bring kids along.

I agree but it’s a weird world where it’s hard to build toward anything so every year is sort of zero sum. It’s the job Red’s got, so I agree it’s just part of the deal. But I do feel for some of these guys trying to build a program. Tough to do with so little continuity and no ability to slowly bring kids along.
Seems like you need a core of guys to stay and recruit a few experienced players for success. Also think baseline recruiting needs to be kids that want to play for the front of the Jersey not the back. We keep losing key good players starters to the portal QG, KR, JE, JG, QC, BW (debatable) were all key starters or players. Hope we return, Bell, Brown, JJ,Patterson, McCloud , Westry, Cuffe and add the 2 Frosh a 3 portal guys. I’m assuming Mintz is gone but would be great if he returned and we add a few pieces and play 10 guys.

I don't know if I can watch JJ and Bell attempt to play defense next season if its the same as this year.
Players do improve, I actually wish Chris would test NBA waters and come back with the absolute knowledge and possibly some tools to help him prepare for the next level. Knowing what you need to do and hearing from people who want you to succeed can really make you hone in on opportunities you have to improve. I am bullish on him. Would love to see Judah back to with some real low post scorers to work with. I think we have a lot to work with if we keep what we have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom