Expectations for next season. | Syracusefan.com

Expectations for next season.

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
What’s everyone’s expectations for year two under Red?

I’ll get mine out there before portal season really takes off. I basically expect a type of season Clemson had this year…

Flirt with the top 25 off and on.
Win multiple games against elite competition in the regular season
Win at least one ACCT game
Be in the tournament comfortably(top 7 seed)
Be capable of a deep march(I said capable because we know the tourney is a crapshoot)

Really hard to say any of this now.

We just lost our associate HC and we will more than likely have more than half of our roster be completely different next year (if not more).

We have no idea who we will hire or replace the guys leaving with.

I do expect Red to make enough good moves to achieve what you mentioned. But his first test is he can fill the roster?

I’ll get mine out there before portal season really takes off. I basically expect a type of season Clemson had this year…

Be capable of a deep march(I said capable because we know the tourney is a crapshoot)

Pretty much where I am but need to see the roster start to shape up

3 to 4 games better and comfortably in the tournament. Start there and try to improve year to year.

My expectation is to have a team that plays together and runs some real offensive sets that are conceptually different than the last 20 years here. A team that is able to establish a real identity for what Red wants SU basketball to look like and plays hard without giving up 100% of the time.
As a bonus, a team that the fans can be proud of in the way they act on and off the court. A foundation has to be established that reflects Red's vision of his team. Winning games will surely come after if these basic goals can be met first.

Every team every season will require to be reconstituted. Those that are successful will have the financial backing (NIL), management (GM), assistant coaches, and additional support to gain access to talented players wherever located in the world, and will have a system that is more intuitive and easily implemented. Watching a ton of men’s and women’s basketball over the last several weeks of all the conferences, I am convinced hard nose in your face defense and constant movement on offense with at least two 3 point shooters to spread the floor is the way to go. Every winning team plays hard for the entire game. No standing around ISO ball and no matador defense. I don’t care how talented the players are….ISO ball and matador defense is not the way to consistently win.

Just noticeable improvement again. I guess to be specific I'm hoping to be safely in the tourney, a year like 2018-19.

The roster not being good enough is not an excuse next year IMO.

I agree with this but we don't know what we don't know. We need to add two key pieces and probably a third as depth. When we know who those guys are and who fills Gerry's spot then I will start building expectations. Base expectation is NCAAT bid regardless.

I want a championship banner, but my expectations w/o knowing who will be on the team is no more than that they will play basketball next season, and I hope I will be in my same or very similar seats in the Dome.

I agree with this but we don't know what we don't know. We need to add two key pieces and probably a third as depth. When we know who those guys are and who fills Gerry's spot then I will start building expectations. Base expectation is NCAAT bid regardless.
I think what people are saying is that getting talent is part of our expectation for next year, so if Red doesn't put together a good team, then he already didn't meet expectations. That's certainly my perspective.

Hope I care next year.
That too. I guess. I care probably too much, but I feel my interest slipping. There are couple of things:
  • I'm all for players getting paid and being able to have the freedom that other students have. But the portal battles are tiresome. That said, the portal isn't what has held Syracuse back from being consistently successful over the last decade. I need to see that change.
  • The roster management and focus on certain types of players over time and the offensive style has really turned me off. It's not interesting to watch. Other people will have their opinions, but I find our offense to be borderline unwatchable. The Tyus/Frank rockfights were brutal. I had the same the opinion of The Zone.
  • I don't think I'm renewing my seasons for next season. Between the neutral non-con games and some often pretty terrible time slots (9pm on Monday/Tuesday night against a basement team, I'm usually in bed by then), as well as games that I just can't be there for whatever reason, there's not much impetus to spend $3-$4k a season.

I concur with Cusefan0307 that's level I'm expecting. That said, if they come out barn burning and are top-25 and stumble to a bubblicious finish, then it'd be tough to not be disappointed.

ETA: a collapse like Miami this season, that must have been brutal for everyone.

Last edited:
With college basketball set up the way it is today, no reason a team can’t immediately improve unless you just aren’t serious.

With the resources we have and the players available. I would say if we aren’t a tournament team next season Red needs to go. This isn’t like years past where you develop and grow a program. You can’t.

Look at most all the good teams and they ate in the portal. We better start eating too. Not just with NY kids that want to stay home no matter the skill set.

Agreed with this.

Usually I would say be top 25 and no question in the tournament, but for next year, what you outlined, totally good.

I can't stand what NIL and the transfer portal has become. I am all for players getting compensated for image and likeness, but what its become is really bad for the game. Also what's really bad for the game is the portal. If a player wants to transfer fine, go on to greener pastures, but why not bring back the 1 year waiting period to play? Those two things have led to almost entirely new teams every year unless you have unlimited NIL. Bad for the coaches, the fans, the game, and not great for the players (unless they are getting $$$). That said, my hope is for a fun team that is easy to root for, plays together and makes the tourny as a 6 or 7 and competes for 3 or 4th in the ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom