Is MCW really still a lock to leave? | Syracusefan.com

Is MCW really still a lock to leave?

nyucuse

2nd String
Very honest question... Assuming the season ends with thud like most of us are expecting, would he still definitely leave? I can't imagine that his draft stock has not taken a serious hit, and what a way to go out, with a serious whimper... Hope he would look to leave with a better legacy than that. Give him one more year and I think he could be the star so many had anointed him as early in the year...

He's a lottery pick now. Absolutely 0 reason to stay.

I can't imagine him staying. He has great size and is good in the open court which is where so much of the NBA game is played. A team will draft him in the lottery and teach him to shot from the perimiter.

Unfortunately they way of professional basketball is that you NEVER pass up the opportunity to be a lottery pick. Some will say he will be stuck in the d league, but that is similar to still being in college without the muti million dollar paycheck

Very honest question... Assuming the season ends with thud like most of us are expecting, would he still definitely leave? I can't imagine that his draft stock has not taken a serious hit, and what a way to go out, with a serious whimper... Hope he would look to leave with a better legacy than that. Give him one more year and I think he could be the star so many had anointed him as early in the year...

I was one of his biggest supporters early in the season, but the fact is that MCW, like everyone else on the team not named CJ Fair, has shown no ability to step up his game against tougher competition. ZERO. He is the ultimate rehab killer right now - a guy who feasts on bad teams and is basically hopeless against good teams. Unfortunately, 3 of our top 4 scorers fit this bill to a 'T', which is why this team isn't any good.

During the pre-season I thought he would end up being a top 10 pick. After seeing him play through the BE schedule, I think any GM that drafts him in the first round should be fired. But then again, Wes went #4 in the draft and he couldn't even dribble, so there may be some scouts out there that are willing to inexplicably overlook MCW's clear limitations.

Mason

according to nbadraft.net mock draft updated 3/5/13 they have him going 12th. so yes . doesn't help he attended prep school and is already 21 years old

If he was 19, I'd think he should stay. However, he's 21, he has to go maximize on that potential.

I like MCW and still think he could develop into a big player. But he's a raw work in progress...and needs a LOT of development. Wait until some NBA teams work him out. They're really going to be appalled at his handle...and especially when he misses 40 out of 50 shots from beyond 12 feet. We'll see if his stock drops enough to make him return.

Mike could really use another year to grow into the physical nature of the game. Thats something that killed guys like Flynn and Thabeet. They weren't ready for the physicallity at the next level.

And all his buckets come at full speed. Theres no hesitation in his scoring. He has very little jumpshot.

If you have doubts, replay games and watch him. He can make some incredibly athletic moves that others can only dream off. Impressive physical specimen.

He'll be 22 by the time the NBA 13-14 season tips off this fall.

No way he comes back and is a 23 year old NBA rookie.

I like MCW and still think he could develop into a big player. But he's a raw work in progress...and needs a LOT of development. Wait until some NBA teams work him out. They're really going to be appalled at his handle...and especially when he misses 40 out of 50 shots from beyond 12 feet. We'll see if his stock drops enough to make him return.

Yeah, good point. I think the drills and 3 on 3 workouts could really kill him. Guys like Marcus Smart would strip and hound him all day. Not to mention the shooting as you noted.

If you have doubts, replay games and watch him. He can make some incredibly athletic moves that others can only dream off. Impressive physical specimen.
Guess you just have to ignore the getting picked at mid court & the jump and figure out which team to throw it to moves that happen every game. Very tall is his greatest asset. Nothing exceptional athletically for someone that height. A point guard that needs help to bring the ball up vs pressure is not high on my list as a NBA'er. But then... I don't have an NBA team.

I think he should stay and develop as his game has several weaknesses that others have mentioned. I think he has to go if he is a lottery as two years of guaranteed money is to much to leave on the table. I just hope he does not sign with an agent to soon as he might have a long night alone in the green room. I also don't buy the age factor. MCW is just one month younger than CJ. Why don't people say that CJ is getting old and he should go now. Being ready is more important than when you go if there is any doubt as you only get a 2 year audition before the team that drafted you either trades you for a future 2nd round pick or releases you all together. Lastly, there is a big difference in being drafted 12th ($2.1mm) and the 25th pick aka Fab Melo ($1.25mm).

Guess you just have to ignore the getting picked at mid court & the jump and figure out which team to throw it to moves that happen every game. Very tall is his greatest asset. Nothing exceptional athletically for someone that height. A point guard that needs help to bring the ball up vs pressure is not high on my list as a NBA'er. But then... I don't have an NBA team.

One thing all successful PG's in the NBA have is a good handle - MCW does not have that - what separates good from elite is blinding speed - ala Westbrook, Rose, Parker and Paul - the very best elite have a good shot too - MCW literally has none of these - not one - what everyone claims is going to take him to the promised land is height - I would like to know one PG who was good pretty much cause of his height - there literally are no tall PG's in the league right now and this is regarded as the era of the PG - maybe he pulls a Devo and leaves but he will not be a lottery pick - this is all not taking into consideration that he could not be any weaker

I don't see him going. Not fast enough, strong enough, can't shoot and can not close a game running a team. He has a great upside. But comparing him to Dion it is night and day. Dion was ready he is not.

I think he/we play well in the tournament and he has to take the $ that is there.

Hope he comes back somehow, he'll be able to carry us and be the player he wasn't down the stretch this year.

PS- I hate all our whiny entitled fairweather fans who think Ennis will step in and be better than him.

There seems to be much about MCW that would give a GM pause right now, in terms of skills, maturity, team and game management. There are lots of reasons to feel good about what MCW could develop into, but this age argument goes both ways - at 21 he is too old to stay, but maybe he's also too old for a GM to take him on as a project, a project that they could be banking their own job security on. The tremendous busts Wes Johnson and Jonny Flynn were also has to be a red flag, although Dion's success probably helps Mike a little. Again, I understand that the NBA is essentially run by circus clowns, but I just am not seeing this lottery thing. We've all watched players who have shown much more on the court at SU go undrafted.

I also don't buy the age factor. MCW is just one month younger than CJ. Why don't people say that CJ is getting old and he should go know.

Because no one is projecting CJ to go in the lottery.

Gone.

I think a lot of people forget that you don't actually need to be a polished player to leave early. I keep reading posts/threads that say what he can't do, what he needs to work on, why he should stay, etc. None of that matters. If you have potential, someone will take you. And if you have a lottery guarantee, you HAVE to go. Also, say MCW doesn't improve that much next year. Suddenly you have a 22 year old prospect who may or may not be the real deal. And next year's draft is loaded too. He'd be taking a BIG risk.

I've never seen a PG, with this many assists and steals, not know how to lead. And oddly, he doesn't know how to dribble or pass either.

Yep, he'll be a Knick next year...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom