Is Red our next HC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is Red our next HC

the way i see it SU is a top ten job. we should not even be considering coaches other top 10's won't even interview.

I believe Wildhack will do a national search.
I also believe Red Gmac and Griffin will be considered. That is only fair.

But Wildhack has no connections to anyone on the coaching staff to my knowledge.

He would only be doing his due diligence by conducting a proper search.

In how many how many of those 4-5 stretches by JB was Texas Southern the signature win?

We had a 2-5 stretch in 1995-96 with the wins being a 1 point squeaker over Rutgers and a 2 point win over Providence - both at home. All 5 losses were by 9 or more points. That ended up being a final four team too.

1988-89 team lost 4 of the first 5 Big East games.

Once he is the head coach it's his team. He was a substitute teacher when everyone knew Boeheim was coming back. I don't get your line of logic or lack of it. Are you trolling?

His job was to win games given the current talent on the roster which was recruited for JB's system and style. In 2019 Hop would have been HC under the same exact circumstances. Shouldn't be hard to follow.

I think the reaction was over the top. It was obvious the people who were reacting this way wanted a national search and just used the record to make the argument. There were plenty of people on here calling for the national search which is fine and I respect. Just be honest about it. I was more shocked at the way the team played in some of those games. The effort was lacking in my opinion which surprised me considering how many players liked Hop a lot and claimed to respect him as a coach.

That was likely part of the problem. They saw Hop as their buddy and not an authority figure. Which is why it sometimes hard to hire someone within by bumping them up to a management position.

His job was to win games given the current talent on the roster which was recruited for JB's system and style. In 2019 Hop would have been HC under the same exact circumstances. Shouldn't be hard to follow.

No, Hopkins as head coach of his own team in 2019 is not the "exact same circumstances" as filling in for a guy for 9 games in the middle of the season.

If what you're saying is hard to follow for people, it's because it's completely wrong and makes no sense.

That was likely part of the problem. They saw Hop as their buddy and not an authority figure. Which is why it sometimes hard to hire someone within by bumping them up to a management position.

Perhaps because he wasn't actually the head coach.

Things are different for the actual head coach vs. the assistant coach just filling in for a few weeks.

You've now repeatedly referred to the reactions of the fan base and the posters around here. I think you'd better go do some digging to justify those assertions, because I don't think you can back this up.
I don't care to satisfy your needs. If you don't agree oh well.

I was surprised at the sentiment expressed here at HOP's 4-5 record. It would have been totally inappropriate for him to have broken stride with JB's system over a 9 game mid-season stretch. I am sure HOP and JB had that clear understanding.

The exact opposite should have been the case. HOP, using JB's system was a clear flop, demonstrating the need for him to take the reigns and introduce his own system. I am sure that is how he expected the fan base to see it. Like Jackson and his triangle, the JB formula is passé. Instead, it was clear by the postings on this site, that HOP would be treading on thin ice come 2019. Not a healthy job prospective for any young man. He read the tea leaves and left on his own terms. Smart move.

Sorry, but this is just silly. In 2019, Hop would've had a full offseason to implement his D (i.e. M2M) & Offensive schemes. In no way would that have been the "same exact circumstances" as his 9-game stint carrying out JB's schemes last season.

Did Hop have the freedom to switch to M2M at any time during those 9 games? I think not. He was the equivalent of a substitute teacher following the lesson plan left for them.

You've now repeatedly referred to the reactions of the fan base and the posters around here. I think you'd better go do some digging to justify those assertions, because I don't think you can back this up.
I find it hard to believe that Hop's psyche is so fragile that he was shaken by the message board/social media criticism that followed his 4-5 stint as JB's fill-in last season, and that this played a role in him taking the UW job.

I find it hard to believe that Hop's psyche is so fragile that he was shaken by the message board/social media criticism that followed his 4-5 stint as JB's fill-in last season, and that this played a role in him taking the UW job.
If you are going to troll do a better job and actually get the person's position right that your trolling. I mean c'mon do better.
Changing it around to fit a narrative that isn't said is just lazy. Give a better effort.

If you are going to troll do a better job and actually get the person's position right that your trolling. I mean c'mon do better.
Changing it around to fit a narrative that isn't said is just lazy. Give a better effort.
I'm not sure, but think he meant 4-5 as games coached.

Hop may end up being a good to potentially great coach. Boeheim however is one of the all time bests. Those are very very large shoes to fill and I don't begrudge him for wanting to blaze his own path.

Regarding Red, no he isn't the next head coach but he could be an interim head coach.

I'm not sure, but think he meant 4-5 as games coached.
You may be right but I took it the way I responded.
I concede I may be wrong but I think the poster was backhanded going after me.

I really have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not trolling anyone. I just read through this thread and that was my reaction to some of the thoughts expressed here.

Let's be fair here. Or at least make an attempt.

From what I understand, Hopkins was managing the team and the game as he thought JB would have.

So, instead of making his own decisions, he was deciding based on what he thought JB would do or would want him to do.

There's a huge difference between that and managing a team/game as you would do without this outside factor.

That's what we saw in those 9 games. Hopkins guessing at what JB would do or would want.
Seriously.

Totally agree with this. I'm sure Hop was taken aback at some of the criticisms, but I just don't believe he would allow this to be part of the most important professional decision of his life.

Totally agree with this. I'm sure Hop was taken aback at some of the criticisms, but I just don't believe he would allow this to be part of the most important professional decision of his life.
All that was said was Hop realized the fanbase wasn't going to patient. I still remember Kaiser's jokes about the teams performance. The board had a lot of knifes for his performance in his 9 game stint. That didn't drive him out.
Hop got a lot of money and a great opportunity.

He just didn't realize that after all the time he spent here the fanbase wasn't going to patient with him and he saw the likely makeup of his Syracuse roster. Hop thought he had more sweat equity than he actually had with a portion of the fanbase.
Why walk into a fire with a group not patient when he can do this thing in WashIngton.

The fact people want specific evidence or want to debate this is funny.
Hop was smart.

All that was said was Hop realized the fanbase wasn't going to patient. I still remember Kaiser's jokes about the teams performance. The board had a lot of knifes for his performance in his 9 game stint. That didn't drive him out.
Hop got a lot of money and a great opportunity.

He just didn't realize that after all the time he spent here the fanbase wasn't going to patient with him and he saw the likely makeup of his Syracuse roster. Hop thought he had more sweat equity than he actually had with a portion of the fanbase.
Why walk into a fire with a group not patient when he can do this thing in WashIngton.

The fact people want specific evidence or want to debate this is funny.
Hop was smart.
When you say the " fanbase", who are you talking about? Trollers? An insider who talked to Hopkins son's dodgeball coach. Not sure that rates as an accurate representation of a massive fanbase. The "fanbase " loves Mike Hopkins and would extend him as much time as any coach tha t might come in. Just trying to help you.

PS. I know this is seething for you but...GMac will take the throne at some point.

When you say the " fanbase", who are you talking about? Trollers? An insider who talked to Hopkins son's dodgeball coach. Not sure that rates as an accurate representation of a massive fanbase. The "fanbase " loves Mike Hopkins and would extend him as much time as any coach tha t might come in. Just trying to help you.

PS. I know this is seething for you but...GMac will take the throne at some point.
Lol GMac as next SU coach. If you think this you don't know Wildhack.

Go read the board archives from December 2015 and January 2016 nobody expected 4-5 with the best win being Texas Southern.
It was a 6-3 was the floor mindset.

I am not going to do the work for people who doubt I really don't care if people believe or not. The fact info is given is up to the person to believe it or not. People can doubt all they want I really don't care as what I said in response to Orange79 is exactly how it played out and I have heard this from 4 different sources with similar stories.

Lol GMac as next SU coach. If you think this you don't know Wildhack.

Go read the board archives from December 2015 and January 2016 nobody expected 4-5 with the best win being Texas Southern.
It was a 6-3 was the floor mindset.

I am not going to do the work for people who doubt I really don't care if people believe or not. The fact info is given is up to the person to believe it or not. People can doubt all they want I really don't care as what I said in response to Orange79 is exactly how it played out and I have heard this from 4 different sources with similar stories.
Please ask Wildhack when you guys are having dinner later why he has this sourness toward Gerry.

Please ask Wildhack when you guys are having dinner later why he has this sourness toward Gerry.
Are you serious? If so what have you seen from GMac that tells you he is qualified to be a HC.
Nevermind an elite P5 job without HC experience.

I mean your statements about GMac being the next HC honestly are hilarious. Wildhack doesn't have sourness towards GMac he was the guy most instrumental in keeping GMac from going to Washington.

It's honestly funny you think the guy would get the keys to the palace.

What has GMac proven to be the next SU HC. Thank you for laughs as I go into Palm Sunday service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom