Is this close to the O we ran | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Is this close to the O we ran

As just one example, not too long ago you wrote a post touting the brightness of the future of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Now why on earth would you care about the Jaguars? What possible reason might you have to believe in them?

I'm not surprised my comments on McDonald to this day go over your head. McDonald had the right idea - speed up the offense and play to the Dome's strengths. He just so happened to be particularly ill equipped to carry out the concept and couldn't execute. It is what it is, but it was the right gamble to roll the dice on a guy like him that at least had the right idea and could have been an up and comer. We're not going anywhere better than scraping in to bowl games playing traditional football. So we needed to take a chance on adapting to what's working in college football, McDonald had the right idea, and he and it failed. It happens. At the time he was our guy, might as well have hoped he was on the right track. And again, he was, he was also utterly incapable of seeing it through. You want to ignore the nuance, that's fine. It's just a little weird to ignore the nuance when you buy in wholesale to a .500 coach as being the greatest thing ever.

Here's a comment I just made on Bud and the Manchild: this was the most efficient-looking SU team I've seen in a long time. They weren't mistake-free but we are used to double figures in penalties, 2-3 turnovers from the first team, being unable to run ten plays in a row without a drive-killing mistake, blown coverages on defense etc. I did't see that on Friday, (yes it's against Colgate but we've done those things against FCS teams, too). I think the difference is that we got not just a head coach but the nucleus of a staff that has been successful at two other schools and absolutely believe that they will have the same success here. They've probably simplified and taken the rough edges out of their system. It think the player enjoy playing in this system, find it relatively easy to learn and absorb the confidence their coaches have in what they are doing. Bud said that the players said that the coaches didn't just tell them what to do: they tell them "If you do this you will win." I think it makes a huge difference.

We've been firing coaches, (or losing them and their entire staffs to the NFL), and having to have a new guy cobble together a staff with whoever is available after a season. We get guys who have recently been fired or part of a fired staff or guys promoted to what might be their level of incompetence. We get guys from all over the place who have coached in different system and have different philosophies. The new guy often finds that the guy he was able to get isn't really the guy he wants and changes get made. These coaches see something other schools are doing and decide to try to copy it without having coached in that system before. The result is a group of players who are trying o see if something works instead of doing something that they know will work.

I recall the 2012 offense being a fairly conventional drop-back passing offense that worked because we had a senior quarterback and senior receivers who were very good college-level players. I do think they went no-huddle but it wasn't what we are seeing now.

Tend to agree, great year by Nassib, Sales and Lemon, all pretty smart football players. Lemon and Sales were as crafty as they come in my book, neither with off the chart athleticism but could always find a way to get open, schemed open was part of it, they weren't big NFL prospects but they could play the position and that they did... I don't care who is an NFL prospect and who isn't, if they excel at Syracuse that is great for fans.

Also once Pugh came back in 2012, run game took off and the O really clicked to the next level. Great run for the end of the year, but Marrone's offense sucked for 3 years, flat out sucked but 2012 was a great offensive scheme with good players to execute

... I think the difference is that we got not just a head coach but the nucleus of a staff that has been successful at two other schools and absolutely believe that they will have the same success here. ...

...QUOTE]

This is a key point -- the nucleus on the offensive side. (Defense is a different matter, since Ward had only one year with Babers, and Nike Monroe only two.)

And let's be fair. Babers isn't doing this without some upgrade in talent. He brought in Amba Etta Tawo and Moe Neal (actually, a Shafer recruit) -- and those two contributed the big plays. Dungey is far better than when he had to step in after Hunt's injury (credit to S&C, and good coaching), and Phillips is far better as a receiver (again, credit to coaching).

You need to apologize to this board right now for asking such an emotionally charged and controversial question.

If the posts where people were taking shots at other posters were deleted, (including, obviously this one), this thread could fit on one page and we wouldn't have lost much in the way of actual analysis.

The similarities are in tempo and in the use of RPO's. But one system was found accidentally and had 4 plays run to great affect. This system is all grown up vs one in its infancy.

There are more similarities than that.

And where did he ask about the derivation of each offense and what difference does it make?

BTW how does studying spread systems for months and working on how to incorporate those approaches to get where they said they wanted to get to from day one, which was an uptempo system that attacked all areas of the field effectively, equate to finding something accidentally?

I don't recall us running anything close to what I saw Friday under Marrone.

What I saw Nassib's last year was an uptempo/no-huddle Pro-Style scheme.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom