Is this team top 25 material right now? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Is this team top 25 material right now?

Yes. They will become one. Wouldn't be surprised if they got a random preseason vote to start.

This team is top 10 is returning production in CFB at 74% per Connelly at ESPN.

Add in the fact that mostly same depleted roster last year got to 6 wins.

Add in the fact the roster has got significantly better and deeper.

Finally, Coaching upgrade, schedule is favorable, have some national attention going on within cfb world.

All the ingredients are there.

Yes. They will become one. Wouldn't be surprised if they got a random preseason vote to start.

This team is top 10 is returning production in CFB at 74% per Connelly at ESPN.

Add in the fact that mostly same depleted roster last year got to 6 wins.

Add in the fact the roster has got significantly better and deeper.

Finally, Coaching upgrade, schedule is favorable, have some national attention going on within cfb world.

All the ingredients are there.
recruiting and talent upgrade, coaching TBD. That's the biggest question going in.

Win our first 3 games and i think we will be. Baby steps, people

Given the flow of our schedule, we might need to go 5-0 to get ranked. It is hard to jump teams early in the season since most Top 25 teams are playing no one OOC. On top of that SU has no name teams on the first half of our schedule.

W1- beating Ohio, even by a lot, won't turn heads.

W2- if GA Tech were to beat FSU and then we turn around and beat GA Tech, that could get us ranked. Otherwise I don't think this turns heads either.

W3- bye week will keep us out of voter minds.

W4- it is only Stanford but it is a national game. That might be enough to get us in. Especially an impressive performance.

W5- no one will notice beating Holy Cross. I suppose being 4-0 might be enough to sneak in.

W6- UNLV isn't a big deal but we would be 5-0 and that likely gets noticed. Then again we have no name Ws at this point.

W7- NC State would get us ranked for sure.

Even after that it might be hard to get in, should we start 5-1.

W8- bye isn't going to move us in.

W9- Pitt, but it is Thursday night so it might help with exposure. As does being 6-1. But we might still be unranked and need to win the next game to get in.

I think it will be very difficult for us to crack the Top 25 before the first CFP poll.

Given the flow of our schedule, we might need to go 5-0 to get ranked. It is hard to jump teams early in the season since most Top 25 teams are playing no one OOC. On top of that SU has no name teams on the first half of our schedule.

W1- beating Ohio, even by a lot, won't turn heads.

W2- if GA Tech were to beat FSU and then we turn around and beat GA Tech, that could get us ranked. Otherwise I don't think this turns heads either.

W3- bye week will keep us out of voter minds.

W4- it is only Stanford but it is a national game. That might be enough to get us in. Especially an impressive performance.

W5- no one will notice beating Holy Cross. I suppose being 4-0 might be enough to sneak in.

W6- UNLV isn't a big deal but we would be 5-0 and that likely gets noticed. Then again we have no name Ws at this point.

W7- NC State would get us ranked for sure.

Even after that it might be hard to get in, should we start 5-1.

W8- bye isn't going to move us in.

W9- Pitt, but it is Thursday night so it might help with exposure. As does being 6-1. But we might still be unranked and need to win the next game to get in.

I think it will be very difficult for us to crack the Top 25 before the first CFP poll.

All depends where we start in the writers minds

This offseason, highlighted by a very big name QB, UGA/CU/AtM/NFL coaches, it really wouldn't surprise me if we're preseason top 30

Look at this SI list from August

All depends where we start in the writers minds

This offseason, highlighted by a very big name QB, UGA/CU/AtM/NFL coaches, it really wouldn't surprise me if we're preseason top 30

Look at this SI list from August

Be fair. None of our guys are big name.

Look at last year’s list. They were either name programs, in a name conference, had a good year prior, or finished the prior year strong. None of those pertain to us.

Haven't seen many of these "national media views".

None of those folks could tell me they'd rather have DJU than McCord.

I agree 100%. But the perception was that McCord was not a Top 10 portal QB. I don't think voters are going to put SU in the preseason Top 25 because of McCord.

GT will be huge like the Louisville opener in 2022.
We were a devasted team last yr when we played GT. We had no QB, the oline was shot. We had injuries on D all over.

On the road with a team that had gone 1-5 after the first 4 vs a GT team that had beaten UNC and Miami we were a 2pt play away from being tied into the 4th quarter. And had we not missed the FG in the 2nd we would have been leading into the 4th.

GT has some explosive guys, but they still only managed 330 yds against a team that had no offense to keep the ball away from them.

Vegas also had Michigan at plus money for 9.5 wins (won 15), Washington at 7.5 (won 14), FSU 10 (won 13), Oregon 9.5 (won 12), etc etc etc

Vegas is in it to make money. They wanna be right more than not, but vegas doesn't specifically know.
Vegas knows what number to get money at and majority of casual fans don't know anything about Syracuse beyond what we've been... A largely middling 4-6 win team most years.

I don't think smart money touches us honestly. We're one QB injury away from being a complete unknown

With this schedule it’s going to be really tough to break into the top 25 unless we start the season with receiving votes, which I doubt we will because of perception. Usually you need a big win over a ranked team to get into the rankings, otherwise we’ll need the slow grind of remaining undefeated deep into the season. I don’t think a win over GT and Stanford will get us ranked if we start outside the top 25

Last edited:
Bruh I don't sleep when we play FCS teams. I still have PTSD from being in SU football fan in the 90s.
We were good in the 90s, it's been pretty much the past 25 years when we have mostly been mediocre to bad. I'll take a return to the 90s in a New York minute.

We were ranked as high as 14 (if memory serves) two years ago in the first week of November right before the season collapsed. How much better is this team, especially if healthy?

Just saying.

No one knows if SU is capable of being a Top 25 team this year. I agree with the comment above that you almost have to start the season with a few votes. Voters will hold SU’s schedule against us.

But voters also love a story line. And FB does offer that. So who knows! Maybe they’ll give us some early love.

With this schedule it’s going to be really tough to break into the top 25 unless we start the season with receiving votes, which I doubt we will because of perception. Usually you need a big win over a ranked team to get into the rankings, otherwise we’ll need the slow grind of remaining undefeated deep into the season. I don’t think a win over GT and Stanford will get us ranked if we start outside the top 25

If GA Tech beats FSU they might be ranked when we play them. And then if we look good in beating them, we might get ranked. IMO that is our only shot before 5-0.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom