Class of 2014 - Isaiah Whitehead | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Isaiah Whitehead

If anybody saw tonight's scrimmage you have to wonder why either side would want to end this recruitment. IW should certainly not be afraid of competition from Cooney, or Buss, and Syracuse should definitely not feel content with what we have. Regardless it looks like we are moving forward. Hopefully next years class isn't scared away by the same thing.

I agree in that we'd benefit quite a bit from Whitehead coming. I think so though for a different reason. Without Whitehead our guard rotation IMO would still be ok with Ennis and Gbinije starting, then a combination of Joseph/Patterson/Cooney off the bench. Patterson was great defensively and if he can tighten up offensively he'll be pretty good role player for us. Joseph will give us the back up pg and who knows what we'll get from Cooney.

Where I think it helps is Grant and Fair will be gone next year. If Whitehead comes it lets us shift Gbinije to the bottom of the zone where he was more than serviceable last night and give us forward depth with McCullough, Roberson, and BJ.

Potential depth IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER before a debate of who is where erupts

G - Ennis, Whitehead, Patterson, Joseph, Cooney

F - Gbinije, Roberson, McCullough, BJ

C - Rak, DC, Chino

That's a national championship team to me. The issue with taking Whitehead is we'd be short on scholarships to offer 2015 where we're in play with a ton of big time names. I would think a deep run would mean a lot of departures from this roster though creating roster spots.

Again, bye bye Whitehead.

Silent G will make you forget Whitehead fast, and leave IU in tears.

Yogi, Sheehey and Abel have been sleepless since Washington.

I can't imagine the look on there faces when they saw the upcoming game vs CUSE revealed...

tumblr_m5exijviMH1r5kbkfo1_500.gif

Reports are IU invited former UL commit '14 G Quentin Snider to do a visit this weekend (they reached out to him). This is amusing.

I agree in that we'd benefit quite a bit from Whitehead coming. I think so though for a different reason. Without Whitehead our guard rotation IMO would still be ok with Ennis and Gbinije starting, then a combination of Joseph/Patterson/Cooney off the bench. Patterson was great defensively and if he can tighten up offensively he'll be pretty good role player for us. Joseph will give us the back up pg and who knows what we'll get from Cooney.

Where I think it helps is Grant and Fair will be gone next year. If Whitehead comes it lets us shift Gbinije to the bottom of the zone where he was more than serviceable last night and give us forward depth with McCullough, Roberson, and BJ.

C - Rak, DC, Chino

That's a national championship team to me. The issue with taking Whitehead is we'd be short on scholarships to offer 2015 where we're in play with a ton of big time names. I would think a deep run would mean a lot of departures from this roster though creating roster spots.
th_shaqoohhh.png

C - Rak, DC, Chino

I agree with all of that except for the fact of saving scholarships for the future. As has been said many a times, the future is not guaranteed. I believe Ennis has the potential of being a 1 and done. Sure it's more likely to be a 2 and out, but you just never know. Take Ennis away from that group and the guards are MUCH more pedestrian. If you have a decent shot at a player like IW this year you have to go get him. If it doesn't work out then no loss and onto next year.

I agree with all of that except for the fact of saving scholarships for the future. As has been said many a times, the future is not guaranteed. I believe Ennis has the potential of being a 1 and done. Sure it's more likely to be a 2 and out, but you just never know. Take Ennis away from that group and the guards are MUCH more pedestrian. If you have a decent shot at a player like IW this year you have to go get him. If it doesn't work out then no loss and onto next year.

I agree so far as I'd LOVE to have Whitehead's talent. But, if it doesn't work out it could be a major loss of a scholarship to give out to an even better and/or more needed player in the '15 class. If MikeG and Cooney as JRs are close to Whitehead as a freshman, then ya save the scholarship. Ya don't want to be put in a situation where Thomas Bryant or Isaiah Briscoe want to come here but we have to tell him "Thanks but no thanks, we just don't have a scholarship open."

My case: First Briscoe aint comin'. Its very likely IW not comin' But...after watching the Canadian games so far it seems to me our weak link is the 2 at this point and we aint got no back up for TC... this year. With Kaleb coming we will have a back up for TE who, btw, is out of sight, ridiculous good and, I wuld guess not destined beyond 2 years here. TE is gone by at least his jr. year. G will have 1 year behind TE and then move to the 2 where he will have 1 year before moving back to the 1 unless we get another pg. Yeah we could use IW to fill the gaps. But it aint gonna happen b/c SU will be deinitely team concept with bunches ofminutes being given to many and not one (except TE of course)

Saw this quote on an "NFL Football Life" segment about our own Orangeman Tom Coughlin:
"A player that makes a team great, is much more valuable than a great player".
- John Wooden -

According to zagsblog whitehead is still coming for our elite camp at the end of this month. What?

Alright...just broke...Whitehead taking an unofficial to Indiana this Sunday. They will also have guards Robert Johnson ('14), James Blackmon, JR ('14), and Malachi on campus.

With this I think Crean wants to lock up a guard this weekend...most likely candidate is Johnson.

According to zagsblog whitehead is still coming for our elite camp at the end of this month. What?

Yeah what the crap at this point??? I just want to know if Cuse still wants Whitehead or if all the continued interest reports are just from Whitehead.

I think this one is ALL on IW. The proof is in the lottery pudding and if MCW and Dion could wait, so can IW.
Unless he's the 2nd coming of a Melo and guarantees us a NC because of his talent, then he needs to man up & accept the 6th Man role as its evolved here at the Cuse. If not, we'll do fine w/out him.

I think he can win the starting job, but I worry about his effect on chemistry.

Yeah what the crap at this point??? I just want to know if Cuse still wants Whitehead or if all the continued interest reports are just from Whitehead.

Whitehead wants a bigger offer, but it doesn't seem to be coming.

Briscoe
Richardson
D. Jones
Diagne
Bryant
Diallo

I think we get:
Richardson or Derrick Jones
Diagne or Diallo
Bryant

I like Briscoe's game, would like to land him but I don't know how this pans out, wide range of suitors which doesn't make me feel confident.
Richardson, Bryant and Diagne or
Jones, Bryant and Diagne.

Seems sensible on the surface, but this is 2015 we're talking about, and I'm only talking about it now as our 2014 plans were traveling on an express train.

Francis and others, anyone else we take a chance on late 2014? And what do you think of my assumptions in bold?

Briscoe felt like he was in Ennis' shadow in HS. He transferred high schools to make his own mark, and he likely doesn't want to be in Ennis' shadow again in college. I would forget him and move on.

Alright...just broke...Whitehead taking an unofficial to Indiana this Sunday. They will also have guards Robert Johnson ('14), James Blackmon, JR ('14), and Malachi on campus.

Whitehead's sudden infatuation with late comer IU was probably the last straw for JB. After showing this guy love all summer and attending his events now he's off to visit a new school? Unless he gets on the phone and begs JB for a spot it's not happening. Too bad because we could have really used him at the 2G.

Briscoe felt like he was in Ennis' shadow in HS. He transferred high schools to make his own mark, and he likely doesn't want to be in Ennis' shadow again in college. I would forget him and move on.
Yes, but is Ennis still expected to be here when Brisoe would arrive? Seems like the over/under for TE recently firmed up at 2. TE probably won't even be here. And even if Tyler was here JB has now shown the ability to get more people involved.

We try to run a two year apprenticeship here for a few select, highly qualified, candidates. We could use one of those types at the 2g.

Tyler isn't a spoiled American star player. He might want to learn
Tyler's camp has tracked him for the NBA for some time now. He didn't have a normal HS career. He went from Canada to New Jersey to train for Bball. He has already made sacrafices in his personal life to achieve a goal, the NBA. He didn't come here to learn, he came here to ball.

Tyler is a winner of one of SU's fast track NBA program slots. The timing of when he leaves will be primarily a business and economic decision. Let's try not to hold it against him when he leaves early.

Tyler isn't a spoiled American star player. He might want to learn

Don't fool yourself. He is just as interested in getting paid to play basketball. That's why he came to the US to play HS basketball, to get noticed.

Ennis may well not be here when Briscoe would arrive, but Joseph puts an end to that question. Briscoe sees himself as a pg, and will only go to a school to play that position. He may have really wanted to play at SU, but the situation didn't break right for him, and he has moved on.

I think IW gets a really bad rep from most posters on here. My view is that he is nowhere near the egotist that everyone says he is. I am a big fan of Trevor & Buss, especially, but IW is far more talented than either of them at this time.

And lastly, you don't give up a talent like IW in the hopes that you get another talented player the next year. A bird in hand...

Zach Braziller tweeted that Whitehead isn't expected to attend the elite camp. Not sure whose camp he got that from, but it's out there.