Class of 2014 - Isaiah Whitehead | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Isaiah Whitehead

The rumor in NYC is that the price to get IW includes hiring his high school coach (Morton). Lavin has done this before. My guess is it's looking real good for St. John's. No wonder so many big programs backed away...JB would never go in for that blackmail.

@MikeWatersSYR
Here is how #Syracuse went from leading for Isaiah Whitehead to not making elite 2014 recruit's final five schools. http://ow.ly/oZcG0

Go back and look at this story on Whitehead. Look at the schools of interest.

None of the five schools on Whitehead's final list are included in a list that was published less than six months ago. Whitehead hasn't even visited two schools (Pittsburgh and Minnesota) on his final list.

Whitehead, who many see as a future NBA player, will make his decision on Thursday. He will not choose Syracuse. And no one should be surprised.

@MikeWatersSYR
Here is how #Syracuse went from leading for Isaiah Whitehead to not making elite 2014 recruit's final five schools. http://ow.ly/oZcG0

Kaleb-Joseph.jpg

Am I way off base when I say that this guy seems like a huge liability when it comes to team chemistry?
Big time. But part of the realist in me says he is a winner, seems ultra-competitive.

Whitehead, more scoring upside but for our needs, I will take Kaleb. Another ball handler, good passer and very quick. I think he is better than IW in those three facets, and we needed another PG.

I just hope we have one of our 4 SGs to pan out in the scoring department. That's the only advantage IW had over Kaleb. But as he mentioned, Kaleb knows nothing is handed to him, has stated so. He will work for PT and stick around.

Whitehead could have bad shooting numbers, score 14ppg and leave after freshman year. Not appealing as we will compete for NC 2013-2016.

TEAM

Big time. But part of the realist in me says he is a winner, seems ultra-competitive.

Whitehead, more scoring upside but for our needs, I will take Kaleb. Another ball handler, good passer and very quick. I think he is better than IW in those three facets, and we needed another PG.

I just hope we have one of our 4 SGs to pan out in the scoring department. That's the only advantage IW had over Kaleb. But as he mentioned, Kaleb knows nothing is handed to him, has stated so. He will work for PT and stick around.

Whitehead could have bad shooting numbers, score 14ppg and leave after freshman year. Not appealing as we will compete for NC 2013-2016.

TEAM
He started out a classic 'Cuse target that could have helped the team. And he ended up looking like OJ Mayo. Hat's off to him, he can flat out play. But I hope his decision-making as a player is better than it was as a recruit.

He started out a classic 'Cuse target that could have helped the team. And he ended up looking like OJ Mayo. Hat's off to him, he can flat out play. But I hope his decision-making as a player is better than it was as a recruit.
No doubt he will be special. I remember an article in which he mentioned (paraphrasing here) that he hated losing more than anything. That's what confuses me. SJU or Hall? I don't see a NC anywhere in their immediate future. Ville, IU and Cuse? Sure, this is a lot stronger a possibility.

NBA is where he wants to be and I don't blame him. Still. If he was that good, as a bunch of us have said, he wouldn't worry about competing for a starting spot.

I'll bet Carmelo didn't. :)

No doubt he will be special. I remember an article in which he mentioned (paraphrasing here) that he hated losing more than anything. That's what confuses me. SJU or Hall? I don't see a NC anywhere in their immediate future. Ville, IU and Cuse? Sure, this is a lot stronger a possibility.

NBA is where he wants to be and I don't blame him. Still. If he was that good, as a bunch of us have said, he wouldn't worry about competing for a starting spot.

I'll bet Carmelo didn't. :)
Oh, no way he worries about PT. He's not coming here, but he could walk in and start for us at the (relatively weak) SG spot. Imagine if he suited up Orange ... I wonder if JB would dust off his "lottery-off-the-bench" strategy, and bring in IW for immediate offense. NC a definite possibility if he had come here. I haven't looked at SH's roster (they had those two bigs, Johnson and another guy, that pushed Rak and Keita all over the lane). But SJU has some studs this year.

Oh hell no. He'd walk in and start for us at the (relatively weak) SG spot. If JB went to his "lottery-off-the-bench" strategy, he would be the ideal spark. NC for sure if he had wound up here. I haven't looked at SH's roster (they had those two bigs, Johnson and another guy, that pushed Rak and Keita all over the lane). But SJU has some studs this year.
Yep, agree (I didn't say I didn't think he wouldn't get to play). Would have gotten plenty of run right away. I expect the same to be true of McCullough. And although I might not want to admit it, SJU is looking up if they get this guy. Even if they don't, they have recruited very well for themselves in recent years. Now, can they put these guys together and make it work? Tourney team at the very least in the next two years. But they should have loftier expectations based on the talent alone.

I smell Ricky Ledo 2.0
Wouldn't surprise me at all:
A huge 6 ring circus production with endless speculation on where he ends up and what ends up is that the kid ends up not qualifying and never sets foot on the floor. There may be precedent with others players from Lincoln but the way he fell off the SU radar like he was radioactive would seem to indicate there are some issues with something with this veritable scoring machine.

The rumor in NYC is that the price to get IW includes hiring his high school coach (Morton). Lavin has done this before. My guess is it's looking real good for St. John's. No wonder so many big programs backed away...JB would never go in for that blackmail.

Ummm, that can't be done unless the guy is hired as an Assistsnt coach. SJU has their assistant coaching spots filled. Only spot SJU has open is DOBO which was vacated by Mo Hicks not too long ago. It's the same rule that prohibited Momo Jones from being able to transfer to SJU. NCAA rules prohibit that hire, so I think a new theory has to be fabricated. I don't see Lavin moving Whitesell, Chiles or Hines down for Morton. I frankly wouldn't hae minded if he was hired for the DOBO spot, but fact remains that he can't.

Last edited:
Ummm, that can't be done unless the guy is hired as an Assistsnt coach. SJU has their assistant coaching spots filled. Only spot SJU has open is DOBO which was vacated by Mo Hicks not too long ago. It's the same rule that prohibited Momo Jones from being able to transfer to SJU. NCAA rules prohibit that hire, so I think a new theory has to be fabricated. I don't see Lavin moving Whitesell, Chiles or Hines down for Morton. I frankly wouldn't hae minded if he was hired for the DOBO spot, but fact remains that he can't.
Will be interesting to see if Morton gets hired as an asst. at SJU sometime down the line. Maybe next year. Doesn't have to be immediately (which would obviously look fishy).

Will be interesting to see if Morton gets hired as an asst. at SJU sometime down the line. Maybe next year. Doesn't have to be immediately (which would obviously look fishy).

I don't believe it can be next year. It has to be at least two years removed or something of the sort. I have no doubt that Morton would try that. Seton Hall just did it by hiring Antigua and landing Delgado.

Major drama on the twitter this morning as Antigua's name disappeared from the SH website. The latest was that it wasn't a big deal and they were just editing the font on his bio!!!

:rolling:

Last edited:
Seton Hall has removed a release and bio for Oliver Antigua from their site announcing assistant coach hire - Whitehead's current high school coach has been removed from PSAL site. What a joke. Adam Zagoria is tweeting on it. No wonder why Jim stopped the recruitment two months ago.

I may have been the biggest supporter of IW coming to us on this board (unfortunately). But let me tell you, I am so glad this circus is not opening its doors on our campus. My twitter feed is absolutely blowing up with mixed signals and sources claiming 100% Seton Hall or 100% Johnnies.

Just goes to show you that nobody pushes JB around, no matter how good you are.

Seton Hall has removed a release and bio for Oliver Antigua from their site announcing assistant coach hire - Whitehead's current high school coach has been removed from PSAL site. What a joke. Adam Zagoria is tweeting on it. No wonder why Jim stopped the recruitment two months ago.

Jeez, what a circus. So glad Kaleb's timeline was ahead of this whole saga.

If true, what a Mickey Mouse move by SHU. They need to offer coaching/DOBO jobs to every recruit they get now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom