It ain't all doom and gloom | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

It ain't all doom and gloom

Just don't back me into a corner, and you're good to go. ;)
I'm the most loyal person I know when it comes to being treated right by people. If I get the opposite from someone, I turn into exactly the opposite of who I want to be. I would like to be more even tempered, but not sure if that's in the cards anymore.

And all that stuff about Fredo is just for effect. I am not personally vested in the outcome of a couple of recruits.

yinyang.gif

Yikes...

upload_2016-5-19_12-50-5.jpeg

My son's favorite Star Wars (and he is a HUGE buff) is Episode 3, just due to the struggle between conflicting sides of the force. I am proud to say his favorite is Obi Wan, which is refreshing considering Anakin's allegiance. Mine is Yoda of course. So, I'm still trying to hold onto the good! Just that some people make it so tough, but that is the way it is. Chins up, y'all!

I'm sorry, but I must correct both you. There is another side to the force and it's color is ORANGE!

It's rarely doom and gloom as an SU fan. We're losing 3 and gaining 4 so far, with JB recruiting depth now. All four new players will see floor time with some good reason for optimism. I'd love to see some other great athletes join the party but think we'll have a competitive team next year no matter who else does or doesn't choose Orange. Success in the NCAA' s is unpredictable and not always linked to success in the regular season. Next year should be great fun...

If the 4 don't equal the 3 how is it an improvement?

So now Roberson is a tremendous player :p

JB has to be complimentary to the guys on his roster. Right now, JB is hoping that Eight is Enough. RIP, Dick Van Patten, but that was an awful show and I don't think it's in anyone's best interest for SU to film a sequel this year.

Roberson can rebound and dunk when he's wide open. That's what we know.

Roberson's a senior. Time to for him to play with consistency this year. Time for him to open up his game if he's capable. If not, Moyer needs to get a good chunk of his playing time. Moyer may struggle at times but I can guarantee one thing: Moyer will not play scared and tentatively like we've seen from Roberson for the lion's share of his time at SU.

Last edited:
Definitely!

Do we all forget how limited we were last season scoring in the paint. If we didn't hit threes, the only offense we had was a Robey offensive board and put back. This team has a chance to be much more balanced offensively. Other than Frank, who will be back and a major contributor, who actually attacked the paint from the backcourt? Now, we will have three guards who are all capable of doing that. That will collapse the defense to give our limited number of shooters, a bit more space. Lydon, who will be a focal point in the offense, will and can score from inside and outside, and will be asked to do so quite a bit. Totally fine with me, as he is only going to get better, and wished he was even more aggressive at times last year. Which leads to why he couldn't. We now have some big man depth to allow him to be a bit more aggressive on offense and he won't be anchoring the zone which will keep him away from more fouls on the defensive end.

Are there a lot of question marks, of course, but I think we could be looking at a much more balanced and consistent team next season. Maybe not ever going to the hot streaks of draining threes, like we did a couple times this season, but we also won't strictly be limited to long jump shots.

Oh...and someone needs to stop DC2 from bringing the ball down low every time he touches it!!!! That darn power dribble, or whatever you call it makes me so angry!!!!! Really prevents us from running plays down low to him, because I think he is capable of having a great low post game, and has a much better mid range (8-12ft) jumper than he is given credit for.

Post more often, Funk Doc

We want the funk. Gotta have that funk...

Doghouse pending! He's fighting for NBA draft this season. It's now or never, do or die. He's going to play hard all season. I imagine he's working very hard on his jump shot this summer.

He's fighting for some sort of pro career. It's tough to make the NBA as an undersized one trick pony. He'd have to be a rebounding machine to get an NBA look if that's all he shows. I think Roberson plays for pay but it's an uphill battle for him to play in the NBA.

JB has to be complimentary to the guys on his roster. Right now, JB is hoping that Eight is Enough. RIP, Dick Van Patten, but that was an awful show and I don't think it's in anyone's best interest for SU to film a sequel this year.

Roberson can rebound and dunk when he's wide open. That's what we know.

Roberson's a senior. Time to for him to play with consistency this year. Time for him to open up his game if he's capable. If not, Moyer needs to get a good chunk his playing time. Moyer may struggle at times but I can guarantee one thing: Moyer will not play scared and tentatively like we've seen from Roberson for the lion's share of his time at SU.

Nobody thought Roberson would ever play scared or tentative coming from high school. A lot can change freshman year.

Nobody thought Roberson would ever play scared or tentative coming from high school. A lot can change freshman year.

That's very true. The reason I'm confident that Moyer will not be overwhelmed is that he's very extraverted on the court-- he won't go into a shell. If he doesn't do well, it won't be because the moments are too big for him. Moyer will play with a fire that the introverted Roberson lacks.

That's very true. The reason I'm confident that Moyer will not be overwhelmed is that he's very extraverted on the court-- he won't go into a shell. If he doesn't do well, it won't be because the moments are too big for him. Moyer will play with a fire that the introverted Roberson lacks.
TR's personality is what it is. I still think he steps up even more than last year. I would give him a B- for last year. The extra possessions were so very critical yet people seem to still ignore. Let's hope for his offense to improve. Again, I am not expecting Roc in the blocks, but we need that mid range jumper and a couple more bounces which he has shown at time, driving on the right side for an easy deuce.

Let's believe in the this guy as he is a huge piece of our success and was last year. Without some of those rebounding performances, insert JB not 10 and so forth.

TR's personality is what it is. I still think he steps up even more than last year. I would give him a B- for last year. The extra possessions were so very critical yet people seem to still ignore. Let's hope for his offense to improve. Again, I am not expecting Roc in the blocks, but we need that mid range jumper and a couple more bounces which he has shown at time, driving on the right side for an easy deuce.

Let's believe in the this guy as he is a huge piece of our success and was last year. Without some of those rebounding performances, insert JB not 10 and so forth.

I agree. TR's rebounding was huge, as was his hustle in a lot of games. When he was dialed in and playing focused basketball, we were so much better. I hope the ten foot jumper emerges--we'll need the points.

Roberson was a consensus top 40 player coming here. It's his Senior year, he had nice moments down the stretch last year, but it's his time to help lead the team. We need our front line to be dominant next year, especially with what we will have to deal with from the triangle schools next year. Anything less than a double/double i'll be dissappointed, and if he doesn't get that we aren't going to be as successful as we want to be.

Roberson was a consensus top 40 player coming here. It's his Senior year, he had nice moments down the stretch last year, but it's his time to help lead the team. We need our front line to be dominant next year, especially with what we will have to deal with from the triangle schools next year. Anything less than a double/double i'll be dissappointed, and if he doesn't get that we aren't going to be as successful as we want to be.
Here's why I disagree. Little things like this WINS GAMES.
I expect improvements, but you cannot deny how important a little hustle and elbow grease is. That is the go ahead basket. Please watch what TR did there, cause he did this very often last year.

Here's why I disagree. Little things like this WINS GAMES.
I expect improvements, but you cannot deny how important a little hustle and elbow grease is. That is the go ahead basket. Please watch what TR did there, cause he did this very often last year.

No doubt Tee! We need that all season. Not only against the Dukes and the Virginias, but against St. Johns, Pitt and Georgetown too. No more mediocrity!

If the 4 don't equal the 3 how is it an improvement?
That's the fun isn't it? If players and combinations of players were simple calculations, the game wouldn't be much fun. Battle and Malachi could be about the same as freshmen, Gillon will be a good replacement for Gbinije or Cooney, Moyer & Chukwu should help us inside, and Howard, Roberson, & Coleman will be a year better. A couple of weeks ago Malachi wasn't good enough to be drafted, Gbinije was a 5th year guard that might find a backup role on an NBA team, and Trevor could look forward to a nice career in Europe. I love them all but they took us to the final four by effort and heart, not by overwhelming skill. I have more hope for next year's team than I had for last year's team even if we get no more commits, but I'm just an old fart that feels optimistic every season in every sport. Eventually I'll be right...

That's the fun isn't it? If players and combinations of players were simple calculations, the game wouldn't be much fun. Battle and Malachi could be about the same as freshmen, Gillon will be a good replacement for Gbinije or Cooney, Moyer & Chukwu should help us inside, and Howard, Roberson, & Coleman will be a year better. A couple of weeks ago Malachi wasn't good enough to be drafted, Gbinije was a 5th year guard that might find a backup role on an NBA team, and Trevor could look forward to a nice career in Europe. I love them all but they took us to the final four by effort and heart, not by overwhelming skill. I have more hope for next year's team than I had for last year's team even if we get no more commits, but I'm just an old fart that feels optimistic every season in every sport. Eventually I'll be right...

What about an extra year makes a player automatically better? Triche, Cooney, KJ, Buss, Roberson, Chin, Coleman (probably not fair because of injuries), but these guys were almost as good as freshman than their last season.

Gillon a good replacement for G? Come on dude. That's a ridiculous statement and I hope you look at Gs numbers and think back to earlier this year of every time he put this team on his back.

We're not a .500 team without G last year.

What about an extra year makes a player automatically better? Triche, Cooney, KJ, Buss, Roberson, Chin, Coleman (probably not fair because of injuries), but these guys were almost as good as freshman than their last season.

Gillon a good replacement for G? Come on dude. That's a ridiculous statement and I hope you look at Gs numbers and think back to earlier this year of every time he put this team on his back.

We're not a .500 team without G last year.

I agree about Gbinije -- tough to replace the combination of things he contributed. He deterred a lot of penetration, and was tough to shoot over -- and there aren't any stats for either of those. On offense, he could drive and finish at a high rate -- opposing teams had to respect that; and he could get a shot off over tough defenders.

The extra year might not help in all cases, but plenty of SU players have shown that upswing. It happens because they get stronger (think about Andy Rautins, or our long line of forwards who were skinny as frosh, but matured), or because they add to their skills (Kris Joseph comes to mind, or Gbinije). Good prospects for that improvement -- Lydon will add 12 lbs or so, and compete better inside; Howard will add muscle to his frame and work on his shooting. People call Roberson the beast, but he came in skinny and has improved every year as he got stronger.

If our frontline plays to their potential, we'll be a force. This seems like the first year in a while that we will be a forward-dominant team. TRob cleaning up the glass, PC swatting shots, Lydon doing both -- DC off the bench with his physicality (and maybe TT). I feel like we pretty much know what Battle/Howard/Gillon will provide. If the 3 combine for 32ppg, 12apg, 8rpg, 5spg and make about 35-37% of their 3's, I think they'll be fine -- it's the forwards/centers this year that can really set us apart.

In my head this is what I forsee:
Howard: 8ppg, 6apg, 3rpg,
Battle: 14ppg, 3apg, 3pg
Gillon: 10ppg, 3apg, 2rpg

Lydon: 16ppg, 6rpg, 2bpg
Roberson: 10ppg, 10rpg
PC: 6ppg, 6rpg, 3bpg
DC: 6ppg, 5rpg
Moyer: 2ppg, 1rpg

That puts us at 72 points per game and 35 rebounds per game

I agree about Gbinije -- tough to replace the combination of things he contributed. He deterred a lot of penetration, and was tough to shoot over -- and there aren't any stats for either of those. On offense, he could drive and finish at a high rate -- opposing teams had to respect that; and he could get a shot off over tough defenders.

The extra year might not help in all cases, but plenty of SU players have shown that upswing. It happens because they get stronger (think about Andy Rautins, or our long line of forwards who were skinny as frosh, but matured), or because they add to their skills (Kris Joseph comes to mind, or Gbinije). Good prospects for that improvement -- Lydon will add 12 lbs or so, and compete better inside; Howard will add muscle to his frame and work on his shooting. People call Roberson the beast, but he came in skinny and has improved every year as he got stronger.

I don't disagree with you, we've had guys who've improved beyond what anybody thought they were capable of. Just saying it's not automatic.

If our frontline plays to their potential, we'll be a force. This seems like the first year in a while that we will be a forward-dominant team. TRob cleaning up the glass, PC swatting shots, Lydon doing both -- DC off the bench with his physicality (and maybe TT). I feel like we pretty much know what Battle/Howard/Gillon will provide. If the 3 combine for 32ppg, 12apg, 8rpg, 5spg and make about 35-37% of their 3's, I think they'll be fine -- it's the forwards/centers this year that can really set us apart.

You have the three combining for 32 points, 12 assists, and 8 rebounds per game next year. Our best player G, our 5th year senior Cooney and freshman Howard combined for 33 points, 8 assists, and 8 rebounds a game along with much better defense that the new crew is going to play, going from 9 years of program experience to a grand total of one, which was Howard who played a total of 335 minutes.

I just don't see it.

Lydon: 16ppg, 6rpg, 2bpg
Roberson: 10ppg, 10rpg
PC: 6ppg, 6rpg, 3bpg
DC: 6ppg, 5rpg
Moyer: 2ppg, 1rpg

That puts us at 72 points per game and 35 rebounds per game
good post, jdubs - those #s are completely feasible - and I actually think you're selling Moyer short (I think he could be a 6-8 pt/game scorer while Frankie H might be closer to a 4/game scorer)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom