It may be Time | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

It may be Time

The simple point was, even Eddy O, someone regarded as a great coach or recruiter (take your pick) can have his program’s success fall off the cliff when his first string bolts or gets injured. It isn’t necessarily “the coach.” My concern...we seem to be having this same conversation every year. But that’s what you get when you are forced to recruit under the radar kids who need an extra year to develop. That is the state of our program. We don’t have 4/5 star kids waiting to play.
Why is Dino forced to recruit under the radar kids? Coach P won with 3* kids for 15 years. Having Dino go 6-6 isn't to much to ask. It's good for you if 1 winning season out of every 5 makes you happy but I am sure most SU fans will agree that it sucks. We are all just so tired of hearing all the excuses that are made for this coach. It seems like the injury bug is only affecting SU every year and all other teams just happen to be injury free. Just do what you were hired for...win games. If you don't have the players then that falls on the coach. I want Dino to succeed as much as anyone on here.

Why is Dino forced to recruit under the radar kids? Coach P won with 3* kids for 15 years. Having Dino go 6-6 isn't to much to ask. It's good for you if 1 winning season out of every 5 makes you happy but I am sure most SU fans will agree that it sucks. We are all just so tired of hearing all the excuses that are made for this coach. It seems like the injury bug is only affecting SU every year and all other teams just happen to be injury free. Just do what you were hired for...win games. If you don't have the players then that falls on the coach. I want Dino to succeed as much as anyone on here.

Coach P recruited well for much of the 90s. What changed?

His scheme required a specific type of QB. He ran that scheme no matter what. Once he missed out of that type of player (Vick) his season tanked. However, he almost always had a bowl record. That is all we are asking from Dino.

We had better talent across the board back then...until we didn’t.

Why?

ed owes his life to Paul Pasqualoni. Guy was toxic after a few run ins w the law.Paul gave him a lifeline.
I think Ed knows that. I’m pretty sure that’s largely why he wanted the Syracuse job before DB was hired.

We had better talent across the board back then...until we didn’t.

Why?
1604237433910.jpeg

No coach in our history has recruited well enough to overcome 25 injuries, that's where we are this year.

Clemson recruits better than all but maybe 3 teams in the country and they lost one guy, yes the starting QB, and almost lost to BC.

We Lost our starting QB AND another 23-24 players.

Let that sink in, this discussion and thread are ridiculous.

If Dino is let go under those circumstances, then Wildhack needs to be fired too for being shortsighted and stupid.
This isn’t a normal year. Every team is down a significant number of players.

DM went 4-8 in his first year with more than 25 players down (25 scholarships + whatever injuries happened during the year) during a normal year and with GRob recruits/players. Before anyone shoots on the schedule, he played 4 ranked teams (25, 14, 7, and 5) and 2 other OOC games against B1G teams (Minn and NW), so he had a real schedule. He knocked off #25 RU, NW, and 2 cupcakes.

4-8 isn’t great, but it’s roughly what DB has done so far (albeit with some shining moments).

He isn't going anywhere but you will have an empty Dome next year (assuming fans can go to games) and SU is at the bottom of football relevance out of all of the Power 5 Schools. That won't change until he is gone at this point I hate to say.

-He can't recruit a QB
-He can't and isn't turning this around
-This notion that next year is "make or break" and he needs to have 6 or 7 wins...folks he isn't getting 6 or 7 wins next year. This roster is a mess.

I understand the financial aspect of this so he is here, we all accept that. I get it. But the reality is SU football is dead as long as he is the captain of the ship. This is going to be a 1 win season and that is a hole so deep he won't be able to climb out of. It's not a matter of IF he gets fired, it's when (and we know it won't be this year.) The question now is do you pull the plug after 2021 or after 2022. The longer he drives this program into the ground the harder it will be for the next guy to turn it around. And the less of an attractive job it becomes for the group of candidates you will be interviewing in a year or two.
Excellent post. Very difficult to see going from this carnage to a bowl eligible team next year - even with a “Very Good” recruiting class coming in. If this was going to happen the Sophmore and Juniors would already be the nucleus of this team. The advertised Offense Dino was bringing to the Dome turf never materialized. He can no longer can sell the bright, new, and shiny new era to recruits. We are at the point where the Coaches comments about getting payers back and other coming along ring hollow.

Maybe they both hit their peak and there is nothing left in the tank.
i bet lsu comes back next year not 4 years now. they can recruit an probably have enough talent right now to come back.

Its much harder to recruit here now than it was back then.

I tried to lead you to that conclusion, but you didn’t get it.

LMAO at you saying the talent is the same though. NFL doesn’t think so!
What makes it harder now then back then? Just trying to get that understand from the great and powerful oz.

P was fired for going 6-6. He had 1 losing season his entire SU coaching tenure. Is it to much to ask Dino to go 6-6?
If P had been fortunate enough to have the current SU administration. Chancellor, BOT, AD and ACC money we would be talking about possibly the best football coach in the history of SU football. P new how to coach. He new talent and he hired exceptional coaches. Dino would be lucky to be a position coach on his staff.

The SU job in 2016 is not the SU job in 1991.
Does that mean that the prestige of the school in 1991 enabled better recruiting and in 2016 after a decade or so of sub .500 play the school doesn't have the prestige to recruit better talent? If that is what you are saying then yes I agree.

Does that mean that the prestige of the school in 1991 enabled better recruiting and in 2016 after a decade or so of sub .500 play the school doesn't have the prestige to recruit better talent? If that is what you are saying then yes I agree.

Part of it, but lots of other reasons too. Hopefully the recent upgrades are good enough to help.

What makes it harder now then back then? Just trying to get that understand from the great and powerful oz.

Look I get it. The team sucks and you’re really mad about it and “fire TeH coooooaccch!” Yada yada yada. Good luck.

Look at the 1991 roster and look at today. Lots of upstate NY kids, stars like Gedney but mostly solid depth guys, Brian Lebaron types. That doesn't exist anymore. Tough tough place to recruit.

Now look at our current lax roster. Tons of NYS kids.

Look at the 1991 roster and look at today. Lots of upstate NY kids, stars like Gedney but mostly solid depth guys, Brian Lebaron types. That doesn't exist anymore. Tough tough place to recruit.

Now look at our current lax roster. Tons of NYS kids.
Yeah once we started losing the local/state talent it became tough sledding. Losing Mike Hart from the university's literal back door was a dagger but was just a sign of the coming troubles. I get that some say that a 3* in Florida is better than a 4* in NY (sometimes true) it doesn't mean we should be okay with losing all the NYS top talent.

Look I get it. The team sucks and you’re really mad about it and “fire TeH coooooaccch!” Yada yada yada. Good luck.
I never said fire Dino. Just said he needs to win! Man, you just make stuff up to fit your opinion

So you think if he finishes 1-10 this year and goes 4-8 in year 6 he keeps his job for year 7?

They can't afford the buy-out before then. Did you not read Wildhack's statement? He's owed 3 more years. They can't afford to pay more than a 1 year buy-out and have enough budget for a replacement coach and staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom