It's amazing what happens when you have multiple guys who can put the ball in the basket | Syracusefan.com

It's amazing what happens when you have multiple guys who can put the ball in the basket

RF2044

Living Legend
By no means am I suggesting that this team is perfect--far from it--but after enduring a couple of seasons where we struggled getting the ball in the hole, what a refreshing change it is to have multiple players who can get hot and fill it up.

The past couple of seasons, if a key player had an off game or shot poorly, we were sunk.

Now, we have multiple players capable of stepping up and picking up the slack.

Welcome change!

Let's Go Orange!!!

The discussion about the team on this board currently is reflective of the talk during/after the Bahamas. Then the bottom fell out and many folks sold "SU stock." Now everyone's buying again! A bit fickle just like the market. It doesn't always go up, but I certainly like the SU uptrend these days!

By no means am I suggesting that this team is perfect--far from it--but after enduring a couple of seasons where we struggled getting the ball in the hole, what a refreshing change it is to have multiple players who can get hot and fill it up.

The past couple of seasons, if a key player had an off game or shot poorly, we were sunk.

Welcome change!

Let's Go Orange!!!

It is true. The past several years, a Cooney 3-11 game was basically a death knell. Last night the team still shot 64% even with that.

Welcome change!

Let's Go Orange!!!

Do not want to throw cold water on your upbeat post, but of the SU teams over the last 5 years, this team is in third place in terms of scoring. It is currently ranked #231 out of 351 teams nationally in scoring. It is not a great scoring team by any means.

Welcome change!

Let's Go Orange!!!

Nice post! I love the enthusiasm! Nice to have some during a year we had so many questions!

Do not want to throw cold water on your upbeat post, but of the SU teams over the last 5 years, this team is in third place in terms of scoring. It is currently ranked #231 out of 351 teams nationally in scoring. It is not a great scoring team by any means.

You need to take into account defense so you have a more accurate comparison.

and, look at the points/game differential between, say, the #100 team and #200 team - very small

The discussion about the team on this board currently is reflective of the talk during/after the Bahamas. Then the bottom fell out and many folks sold "SU stock." Now everyone's buying again! A bit fickle just like the market. It doesn't always go up, but I certainly like the SU uptrend these days!

That would be an accurate statement, except for the fact that this team and the players have had about 20 more games experience since the Atlantis to improve as teammates, get into better cardiovascular shape, and develop their games and know their role.

If Coleman can give us what he gave us at the FSU game then we have a hell of a lot of upside

You need to take into account defense so you have a more accurate comparison.

Fair enough. I monitor those things, so it is easy. Here is the point spread (average winning game margin) for the last 5 years, which accounts for defense.

2011-12 = 13.11
2012-13 = 11.73
2013-14 = 8.79
2014-15 = 4.23
2015-16 = 11.56 (to date)

Still in 3rd place. Although the OP's point has some merit. This team is much better than the last two years.

We will never be near the top in scoring due to the zone. Teams pass it around the perimeter for 20 seconds before attacking. It limita posessions

I credit JB for rolling the dice and trying to maximize offense. Right from the start of the season, JB put us on a route with Mal and Lydon taking on major roles even though they were going to be liabilities to the defense.

Two frosh with major roles, playing out position, has not been the usual way to construct a team. All out offense. I was hoping JB would get Mal in the lineup, I didn't think Lydon to center was a possibility. It's exciting.

Points per possession are what matters. When the other team holds the ball for an extra 5 seconds each possession then overall points will be down.

PPP measures if the offense is better and I bet this is on of our better teams, top 25%?

Pace. This team plays at a slow pace.

orange2win said:
Fair enough. I monitor those things, so it is easy. Here is the point spread (average winning game margin) for the last 5 years, which accounts for defense.

2011-12 = 13.11
2012-13 = 11.73
2013-14 = 8.79
2014-15 = 4.23

Still in 3rd place. Although the OP's point has some merit. This team is much better than the last two years.

3rd place behind our best regular season ever and a f4 team. Do you have the #s for 2009 2010 and 2011?

We are still a legit post scorer for being really good. Since Rick Jackson left in 2011 we haven't developed a post scorer outside of Rak Christmas last year. I thought Christmas had more potential his Junior year but even then we are a jump shooting offense depending on Ennis/Grant/Fair.

Whoever the big man coach is needs to get all the offense they can out of the bigs to give us more margin for error offensively. I will say this offense is better because of G/Richardson have the ability to put the ball on the floor and drive. We are just missing that Rak Christmas/Rick Jackson big.

I really wish we could find more Rick Jackson type bigs in recruiting. He was a top 50 recruit not top 10 guy and is absolutely perfect for college basketball post offense.

The best part is that's easy on the eyes. No more clogged toilet bowl offense. The only thing that's missing is the fast break execution and the half court alley oops we used to specialize in.

Points per possession are what matters. When the other team holds the ball for an extra 5 seconds each possession then overall points will be down.

PPP measures if the offense is better and I bet this is on of our better teams, top 25%?
yep, and we've been moving up steadily in the KenPom offensive efficiency (essentially PPP) ranking (while our D has actually gone down a bit) to where we're now in the respectable range (around 50, I believe)

3rd place behind our best regular season ever and a f4 team. Do you have the #s for 2009 2010 and 2011?

I have every year back to 1976-77:)

2008-09 = 8.45
2009-10 = 14.80
2010-11 = 10.06

yep, and we've been moving up steadily in the KenPom offensive efficiency (essentially PPP) ranking (while our D has actually gone down a bit) to where we're now in the respectable range (around 50, I believe)

Nope! As of today we are ranked #101 in the nation in Offensive Efficiency. As of February 1, we were ranked #106. Modest improvement in the last two weeks.

2011-12 = 13.11
2012-13 = 11.73
2013-14 = 8.79
2014-15 = 4.23

That is still not a true indication of offense performance. Can you provide the ratio of points scored vs number of posetions

2011-12 = 13.11
2012-13 = 11.73
2013-14 = 8.79
2014-15 = 4.23

This was a very nice post! Good work!

I really like what I am starting to see in terms of scoring balance right now.

Gnijible - Pencil our 5th yr Sr. leader in for 15-20 every game.

Richardson - Other than that stretch when Hopkins took over and he couldn't buy a bucket (7-42 at one point from 3) he has been a solid 2nd option. Plus he seems to be really coming on as his confidence grows. He hit's big shots, rebounds well, and has been improving defensively.

Cooney - Definitely not someone you can depend on ever game to give you double figures like G, and Malicai, but there are games when he can single handily win them hinself

Lydon - I think Tyler is the key to how we finish the season. I think the biggest thing he needs is confidence, and if the last couple games have shown anything, it's a Freshma kid getting more comfotlr,

I'm really not worried about scoring. Foe the most part that wasn't really our problem. We needed improvements on defense, and especially rebounding, which is something we seem to have turned to a strength

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom