Its super sad | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Its super sad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can it only be one reason?
There’s no evidence changing conferences changed our recruiting or roster management. It’s an excuse to give JB a pass.

How does conference affiliation affect roster management. Did it force 3 of our main rotation players and other promising freshman to transfer last year?

Did it cause JB to tell a future first round pick in the capitol
region to reclass?

Did it cause us to not properly evaluate other top 100 guys who were overrated?

Why did we have a great class in 2015 after we were in the ACC.

Anyone who blames us leaving the BE never answers these questions of mine.

There’s no evidence changing conferences changed our recruiting or roster management. It’s an excuse to give JB a pass.

How does conference affiliation affect roster management. Did it force 3 of our main rotation players and other promising freshman to transfer last year?

region to reclass?

Maybe because your questions - if anything like the questions above - are straw men. I mean, you dismissed my question and hit back with an army of straw men.

I didn’t say you were wrong. I’m saying there’s more to it.

Maybe because your questions - if anything like the questions above - are straw men. I mean, you dismissed my question and hit back with an army of straw men.

I didn’t say you were wrong. I’m saying there’s more to it.
There’s no evidence to that. We had a top 10
class when we were in the ACC until hop left.

The best talent has left the state and gone to Midwest, southern and west coast conferences. If they wanted to play in the NE more of these kids would go to UConn or Nova.

region to reclass?

It is such an old, lazy and lame argument. Going to the ACC does not negatively impact recruiting. With a top notch recruiter SU should be the preeminent program in the Northeast. Who can match facilities + tradition + league? Kids LOVE to play Duke and UNC. The league's pedigree and history are unmatched. Unfortunately JB and staff have not demonstrated that they have the chops to keep SU where it has been for my (and most poster's) entire lfe.

Our future 100% depends on who JW hires to pass the mantle to post Boeheim.

region to reclass?

We have 1 4 year player on the roster right now.
We have 2 3 year players on the roster.
We have 1 2 year player on the roster
We have 1 freshman on the roster.

We have 2 grad transfers.
We have 2 glorified walkons.
We have 1 Super Senior.
We have 1 traditional transfer on the roster.

Recruiting shows we have done a terrible job. I got no problem relying on transfer to supplement the team but over half. 6 of the roster are transfers or glorifed walkons.

We have 1 4 year player how the heck do we only recruit 1 HS recruit last year.
We have neglected recruiting HS PGs and SGs? Why?

If you want to say Symir replaced KR that is fine but it would also include we downgraded there.

The HC NEEDED next year’s class because the previous years he neglected positions and its kinda funny next year’s class was big when whom was going to leave.

The ACC has nothing to do with the roster management and recruiting decisions by the HC. He did go harder last year after SEVERAL years of what you said.

Did you see how they challenged at the rim, also picked up in the backcourt?Pushed the pace, drove to the hoop and finished, had players who were physically strong.

And none of that has anything to do with what I said. Did you see Rak run to the corner to try and block the 3?

There’s no evidence to that. We had a top 10
class when we were in the ACC until hop left.

The best talent has left the state and gone to Midwest, southern and west coast conferences. If they wanted to play in the NE more of these kids would go to UConn or Nova.
I can’t even begin to have this conversation with you until you allow for nuance.

Yes, we had a top 10 class before Hop left. And we have a top 15 class now. Did we not have any misses before Hop left? Did we not have issues finding a PG before Hop left? Realignment doesn’t mean we won’t have success with recruiting ever again. It means there’s an additional challenge that didn’t exist before.

No evidence? There are three NE teams in the ACC. All three had success before and/or immediately upon joining the ACC. All have fallen off since. I know, you’re going to list a bunch of reasons why BC and Pitt suck. All of those reasons can be true in addition to changing conferences.

Yes, the talent has left the state. For a variety of reasons, including realignment. There isn’t as much of a draw to playing in the NE now. UConn wasn’t even in the Big East until this year. Villanova can’t take everybody.

The next coach can fix a lot of the issues you listed. But he won’t be able to sell this program the way JB did for 30+ years. Some of us believe that will continue pose a challenge.

It is such an old, lazy and lame argument. Going to the ACC does not negatively impact recruiting. With a top notch recruiter SU should be the preeminent program in the Northeast. Who can match facilities + tradition + league? Kids LOVE to play Duke and UNC. The league's pedigree and history are unmatched. Unfortunately JB and staff have not demonstrated that they have the chops to keep SU where it has been for my (and most poster's) entire lfe.

Our future 100% depends on who JW hires to pass the mantle to post Boeheim.
OK, but what does that mean? The preeminent program in the NE…yet they play in a southern conference. It’s not the same.

We can still be elite. We can still recruit elite players. But it will require more effort than ever before.

I can’t even begin to have this conversation with you until you allow for nuance.

Yes, we had a top 10 class before Hop left. And we have a top 15 class now. Did we not have any misses before Hop left? Did we not have issues finding a PG before Hop left? Realignment doesn’t mean we won’t have success with recruiting ever again. It means there’s an additional challenge that didn’t exist before.

No evidence? There are three NE teams in the ACC. All three had success before and/or immediately upon joining the ACC. All have fallen off since. I know, you’re going to list a bunch of reasons why BC and Pitt suck. All of those reasons can be true in addition to changing conferences.

Yes, the talent has left the state. For a variety of reasons, including realignment. There isn’t as much of a draw to playing in the NE now. UConn wasn’t even in the Big East until this year. Villanova can’t take everybody.

The next coach can fix a lot of the issues you listed. But he won’t be able to sell this program the way JB did for 30+ years. Some of us believe that will continue pose a challenge.
I disagree entirely. UNC stinks now too. Why is that?

I haven’t even discussed the fact that we play 100 percent zone and an outdated isolation offense. This is a cop out.

And none of that has anything to do with what I said. Did you see Rak run to the corner to try and block the 3?
Wasn't meant for your post, should have replied to previous post with the film.
But yes Rak attempted to block the 3 point shot in the corner.
They were all active in the zone, challenged shots at the rim, totally different type of players then what we have now.

OK, but what does that mean? The preeminent program in the NE…yet they play in a southern conference. It’s not the same.

We can still be elite. We can still recruit elite players. But it will require more effort than ever before.
It means we should be the pre-eminent program in the Northeast because, as I stated, we have advantages that simply can’t be matched by programs in lesser leagues. I firmly believe Villanova and UConn are in a tougher spot long-term given the revenue prospects of the Big East.

Look you and others can try to dissect this any way you want, but the University can and should be in a fantastic position going forward if they make the right hire.

It means we should be the pre-eminent program in the Northeast because, as I stated, we have advantages that simply can’t be matched by programs in lesser leagues. I firmly believe Villanova and UConn are in a tougher spot long-term given the revenue prospects of the Big East.

Look you and others can try to dissect this any way you want, but the University can and should be in a fantastic position going forward if they make the right hire.
I agree. Plus we have have by far the biggest fan base in the Northeast - a fact that in no small measure has enabled much of what the program has accomplished over the years.

Well we signed Mali, Lydon, and Frank Howard in 2015 And they were all top 100 guys. That was two years after we joined the ACC and one season after we went 18-13.

That class also included Diagne, another top 50-100 guy who got screwed by not being able to play here.

I'd rather have stayed in the BE wnere our recruiting was a blessing and there is no reason why it would have changed. Even if football went independent it could not have been worse than it is and it is not going to be better next year. Being the Beast of the East was worth more than ACC cash. If we stay in the ACC we will become a basketball has been regardless of coaching. We are now the Least of the SE.
As to UCon and GT, they have better talent than us. Benny is no Mohammed. Even Prov. and SH are more talented.
Our great Big East rival and longtime conference power Georgetown has now fallen behind, gulp, Seton Hall and Providence most seasons. That’s sad. That should never have been allowed to happen there (the mistake of hiring within the family)—and hopefully won’t at Syracuse once JB steps down.

Last edited:
I am going to ask this question for about the 10th time to you. Maybe you won’t ignore it and you’ll actually answer.

Would you be complaining JB about any of this had unnamed pg, guerrier, and Braswell not left?

Was the BE the reason they left?

I think we all know the answer to that.

The coach does not try to get the best and keep his best talent anymore.

Maddening you blame conference affiliation for this.
This post is so spot on. He’s become a player unfriendly coach. I will say the loss of Hopkins really hurt in that respect. 10 years ago, Hop talked about how JB, at his encouragement, really made a concerted effort to connect with the kids more and not be so distant. I think of the give-and-take rapport that JB had with Rautins, Flynn, Harris (yes Harris!), Devo, Scoop, Southerland, CJ, Kris Jo, Gbinije and on and on. He got real with them and showed his more lighthearted side, and I think that made a difference. That’s completely left the building since Hop departed the program. That and Hop’s positivity and skill at being the good cop really helped bridge the gap.

Last edited:

It’s an eastern seaboard conference not a southern conference.

This post is so spot on. He’s become a player unfriendly coach. I will say the loss of Hopkins really hurt in that respect. 10 years ago, Hop talked about how JB, at his encouragement, really made a concerted effort to connect with the kids more and not be so distant (not Hop’s words). I think of the rapport that JB had with Rautins, Flynn, Harris (yes Harris!), Devo, Scoop, Southerland, CJ, Kris Jo, Gbinije and on and on. He got real with them and showed his more lighthearted side, and I think that made a difference. That’s completely left the building since Hop departed the program. That and Hop’s positivity and skill at being the good cop really helped bridge the gap.
Hop's got UW on a winning streak, big game tonight against the Ducks. Is he back in the conversation?

Hop's got UW on a winning streak, big game tonight against the Ducks. Is he back in the conversation?
I saw they’ve won four of their past five games. Terrell Brown is a great player and a huge pickup. If they beat Oregon they’ll be in fourth place in the PAC. But UW would have to finish the season really strongly to save his job and then have a great season next year to even be considered. I love Hop and he’d be a great recruiter at Syracuse, but his stock is way way down, so right now it wouldn’t make any sense to hire him.

If the replacement has to be someone from within the family than he is by far away the top choice. Give me Hop over GMAC. However RF2044 Has been 100% on the money with his take for who’s next

If the replacement has to be someone from within the family than he is by far away the top choice. Give me Hop over GMAC. However RF2044 Has been 100% on the money with his take for who’s next
Head coaching experience is invaluable. I'd roll the dice with Hop.

Class isn’t top 15 now and it’s trending lower. It’s only ranked that well because of the number of recruits. Not one of the kids is in the ESPN top 100. If you’re thinking this class is a savior you’re going to be very disappointed.

Last edited:

I’m not disputing any of that. I agree Nova will be in trouble after Wright retires. NE basketball overall is taking a hit. Part of it is due to realignment. That means the Big East as well as the NE teams that left.

We had to join the ACC. We can make it work. But it’s silly to act like nothing’s changed.

Class isn’t top 15 now and it’s trending lower. It’s only ranked that well because of the number of recruits. Not one of the kids is in the ESPN top 100. If you’re thinking this class is a savior you’re going to be very disappointed.
Never said anything about saviors. I don’t know if the class was ever top 15 according to ESPN. The other services rate us higher.

I disagree entirely. UNC stinks now too. Why is that?

I haven’t even discussed the fact that we play 100 percent zone and an outdated isolation offense. This is a cop out.
OK, so you’re not doing nuance today. Hooray for black and white Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom