i've completely flipped on the paying players thing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

i've completely flipped on the paying players thing

Sure, but you have to pay every single student athlete at your school.
No you wouldn't. You simply don't prohibit them from profiting from their own name and likeness. That isn't the same as paying them.

No you wouldn't. You simply don't prohibit them from profiting from their own name and likeness. That isn't the same as paying them.

So what is your plan? If your not paying them? If they are profiting from their likeness, that is getting paid, and title nine comes into play.

So what is your plan? If your not paying them? If they are profiting from their likeness, that is getting paid, and title nine comes into play.
I don't believe So because I doubt every basketball player and every football player would be recieving money from company's.

there was a study done and it was discussed on the lebatard show, about the money that is made on college sports and the way it is shared. long story short, pro sports essentially split the money 50/50 between players and owners. college is more like 90/10 between the schools and the players. it's bad, and these kids deserve more. they were saying how for the majority of these kids that won't go pro, these are their prime earning years. it makes plenty of sense, if you think of a kid like trevor cooney. SU has made plenty off of trevor. yes in theory he will wind up with a degree. but he will never be more famous, or have more earning power than he had these last five years at SU. he should be allowed endorsements and a salary, the kid should realistically have like a half mil banked. I think that there should be a max salary, say 150-200K for D1 basketball players, and the recruiting process will be changed to a contract system that is more in line with everything else in professional America. recruiting would be so much better, you want a player? offer them max contract. also a kid getting paid might be more likely to stick in college. on top of that, the college coaches can focus on coaching, rather than watching 4000 horrible aau games.

"April, I will see you hell!"

Trouble comes with the equality of programs. If you allow endorsements, there are 100x the number of boosters willing to "hire" these players to make appearances at their car dealerships for $5k / hour at schools like UK, Texas, USC, etc. than the mid-majors. Why would any high school player go to ECU when he can make 10x the amount of side money at UNC.

I think some kind of equitable profit sharing scheme could be employed. Pay players equally by the minutes played in each game where the NCAA, or school league, makes money off advertising. The rate of pay should be an equitable percentage of the advertising revenue by percentage. For the math illiterate percentage is way of making it fair taking into account fluctuations in results and inflation.

I, too, used to believe that colleges were colleges.
I can even remember when players lived in dorms like students.
No way they should be paid.
They get free educations.

But the fact is times have changed.
With TV money big time college sports are now a business.
They should be recognized as such...and even taxed as such to the extent possible.

For basketball, colleges are training grounds for pro leagues.
Players are now unpaid employees helping schools earn some big bucks.
They deserve to be paid, just like their coaches.
If some "schools" can't cut it, they should get out of the business.

As selfish Syracuse fans, this would be terrible for SU. SU doesn't have the resources or alumni network to bid on Diallo/Green/Bamba like Big Ten/Big 12/SEC schools do. Say goodbye to McCullough, MCW, Fab Melo, Dion, Ennis, Malachi, Battle, etc. We'd have a tough time getting any top 100 recruits. We'd be outbid by the likes of Georgia, Tennessee, and Nebraska,

I'm not buying this for a second

There are two options that I see. a) Set a certain salary that is even (perhaps cost of living adjusted) across all power conferences and set a separate salary across all mid-majors. The salary is partially funded by the conferences and partially funded directly by the NCAA. You might even be able to get away with an equal salary across all conferences by requiring the big ones to kick in a higher percentage so the NCAA can cover a higher percentage for the small conferences. Restrict the ability for players to get extra money by marketing themselves. This would drastically reduce any advantage that could be had by programs like Kentucky because they wouldn't be able to pay any more than other schools. I'm sure there are particulars I'm leaving out, but this is the most straight-forward and easiest to implement solution I can think of. Players get paid but schools don't gain an advantage over each other. If some smaller conferences don't think they can keep up with funding the salaries, they can drop down to DII or DIII; there are already too many basketball programs to begin with in DI.

b) Don't pay any salaries but allow the players to market themselves. This is potentially the most fair option for the players but creates a huge issue with competitive balance for the schools. I'm not a fan of this option at all.

there was a study done and it was discussed on the lebatard show, about the money that is made on college sports and the way it is shared. long story short, pro sports essentially split the money 50/50 between players and owners. college is more like 90/10 between the schools and the players. it's bad, and these kids deserve more. they were saying how for the majority of these kids that won't go pro, these are their prime earning years. it makes plenty of sense, if you think of a kid like trevor cooney. SU has made plenty off of trevor. yes in theory he will wind up with a degree. but he will never be more famous, or have more earning power than he had these last five years at SU. he should be allowed endorsements and a salary, the kid should realistically have like a half mil banked. I think that there should be a max salary, say 150-200K for D1 basketball players, and the recruiting process will be changed to a contract system that is more in line with everything else in professional America. recruiting would be so much better, you want a player? offer them max contract. also a kid getting paid might be more likely to stick in college. on top of that, the college coaches can focus on coaching, rather than watching 4000 horrible aau games.
How much does the owners give back to educate students back in their communities? How much do owners extract from the taxpayers to pay players obscene salaries while paying ushers minimum wages if at all?

How much do todays owners pay for new stadiums to keep the luxury boxes up to date to please only the ones who can afford them. The owners as far as I am concerned have created the huge money grab that is now going on and we as taxpayers are paying for a lot more of this than what we are being told and sold. Maybe we should force the owners to pay for the kids who leave before they graduate to go back to school for dangling the cash by every agent who whispers in the kids ear telling them they will get rich quick.

It's time to dial back the Corporate welfare the owners receive

There are two options that I see. a) Set a certain salary that is even (perhaps cost of living adjusted) across all power conferences and set a separate salary across all mid-majors. The salary is partially funded by the conferences and partially funded directly by the NCAA. You might even be able to get away with an equal salary across all conferences by requiring the big ones to kick in a higher percentage so the NCAA can cover a higher percentage for the small conferences. Restrict the ability for players to get extra money by marketing themselves. This would drastically reduce any advantage that could be had by programs like Kentucky because they wouldn't be able to pay any more than other schools. I'm sure there are particulars I'm leaving out, but this is the most straight-forward and easiest to implement solution I can think of. Players get paid but schools don't gain an advantage over each other. If some smaller conferences don't think they can keep up with funding the salaries, they can drop down to DII or DIII; there are already too many basketball programs to begin with in DI.

b) Don't pay any salaries but allow the players to market themselves. This is potentially the most fair option for the players but creates a huge issue with competitive balance for the schools I'm not a fan of this option at all.

You didn't like my idea of making profit sharing based on revenue collected? Say Syracuse University got one million dollars from the NCAA tournament based on how they played. Then come up with some formula where the money gets split between the University and players, and each player gets a percentage of the pool based on the number of minutes they played in the game. Anytime you have a fixed salary for all players it's going to be a mess. I don't think this is that hard. Think it like the way real estate agents get paid. All the real estate agents at the office do not get paid equally. Pay is based on performance and a percentage of revenue created.

The reason is not allowed now is because the boosters are giving money to the SCHOOLS to fight in the facilities arms race. The only difference is the money would go to the players.

Again, SU being good or bad in sports has nothing to do with the debate.
Not buying it at all.....Some will never follow the rules as the big programs will always find the ways to keep their edge and it will always involve cash and special cars. It will only increase the expenses for the smaller programs who will never keep up and most likely be losing ground.

Not buying it at all...Some will never follow the rules as the big programs will always find the ways to keep their edge and it will always involve cash and special cars. It will only increase the expenses for the smaller programs who will never keep up and most likely be losing ground.

Competition is good. Capitalism good. Bureaucracy facilitating what is essentially a soviet style communist state is bad.

Competition is good. Capitalism good. Bureaucracy facilitating what is essentially a soviet style communist state is bad.

Especially when that beaurocracy has already proven itself to be more corrupt than the Politburo and FIFA combined.

Last edited:
You didn't like my idea of making profit sharing based on revenue collected? Say Syracuse University got one million dollars from the NCAA tournament based on how they played. Then come up with some formula where the money gets split between the University and players, and each player gets a percentage of the pool based on the number of minutes they played in the game. Anytime you have a fixed salary for all players it's going to be a mess. I don't think this is that hard. Think it like the way real estate agents get paid. All the real estate agents at the office do not get paid equally. Pay is based on performance and a percentage of revenue created.

I hadn't read yours at that point, but I like it. I take a 'post first, ask questions later' approach haha.

No. What the athletes receive from the school in terms of benefits remains the same and is equal. No Title 9 issue. You're simply not stopping them from getting endorsements.

Look, I know people think college sports is all Kentucky basketball and Alabama football, but if every athlete is eligible to benefit from their name and likeness you're going to see women's volleyball players and men's crew benefit too.

explain how they got the 90/10 split? and does this mean because a pro sport does it one way that every other business needs to do it that way too?

Allowing players to get endorsements sounds like a no-brainer, until you realize that it would all be an impossible-to-regulate sham that would in no way be based in reality.

So don't regulate it.

Then the top 15-20 schools with the largest athletics donor bases (which does not include SU) should just break away and form their own league, because when Phil Knight starts offering astronomical "endorsement deals" to top recruits that are 200 times the athlete's actual fair market value, other schools won't be able to compete.

Then the top 15-20 schools with the largest athletics donor bases (which does not include SU) should just break away and form their own league, because when Phil Knight starts offering astronomical "endorsement deals" to top recruits that are 200 times the athlete's actual fair market value, other schools won't be able to compete.
Let's try it. I don't think it would actually play out that way.

The UNC case proves the mockery of the free education trade off. UNC was always held up as the model in merging academics and athletics. How did that work out for those kids?

Watch "Schooled: The Price of College Sports". I watched it on cable again last night. Based of the Taylor Branch article. Great scene where Branch attends a national conference of AD's. Navy's AD approaches and basically scolds him with the students not having a say because "you can't have the animals running the zoo in college education". This is the United States Naval Academy Director of Athletics.

System is beyond broken and won't change until the players say no or government says "whoa".

I hadn't read yours at that point, but I like it. I take a 'post first, ask questions later' approach haha.

I get a little tired of "it's sooo hard" BS. It's not that hard. If the NCAA were capable of sharing, then pass a policy and govern it. The colleges seem to get their checks okay from the NCAA tournament.

I'm for paying kids, but the best option I've heard is just allowing kids to sign marketing deals.

Let the company's pay the kids.

That's been my position for years. The idea that they can't make money off their celebrity is ridiculous to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom