I've seen enough | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

I've seen enough

The point is you need to hire a good HC who then has a good OC for that to work. The 2nd part doesn’t happen without the first.

Additionally we don’t have the resources they do.

On top of that continuity tends to not work. It didn’t for one of their hires. Toledo is a good example of it working though. Candle was OC of Campbell who was OC of Beckman.

Yeah I like Lanning a lot. UW has a really good coach as well.

I think Lincoln Riley needs to figure out who to hire as a DC because he really has an issue there his entire career as a HC. Offensive gurus are great but to be a top 5 team annually you have to play SOME defense

Most top football kids go to preps and catholics across the country. This isn't the worst thing in the world. i'm involved in the boston prep football world and see the kids from Xaverian are going to Michigan St and that's a Hasselbeck!

I think you want to have those connections because it's not simply Catholic = Catholic college. Rob Konrad went to St John's Prep and turned down ND and BC for Syracuse because (checking notes) it was a program he could play immediately in, dynamic offense, and was spin cycling kids into the NFL. It can be done.
That was the question I was raising. Does Chesney have the "juice" to get those higher level guys to go to Syracuse instead of the bigger and factory schools? If yes, it would build a strong core with depth.

That was the question I was raising. Does Chesney have the "juice" to get those higher level guys to go to Syracuse instead of the bigger and factory schools? If yes, it would build a strong core with depth.
impossible question to answer. only fact is he's built a winner at D3, D2 and now DIAA. Could he continue the trajectory at D1, time will tell.

He would be the Jim Tressel like hire for Syracuse stripping away the issues Jim had. I think Syracuse has to think massively with a new hire if Dino is gone. Hiring a hotshot coordinator, no thanks. An NFL retread, no thanks.

I want someone who has maximum energy, maximum success on their stage and someone who will out-care about the success.

I'd be angry if he's there for the taking, our job is open and he goes to Boston College and we get motorboated by his success. Their success against us is a negative multiplier vs someone like Miami. BC is our sister and we don't want little sister to become big sister

Oregon though is still on their first Phil Knight :)
For sure. It's funny though, I have a couple of close friends who are Oregon alums, and as much as they recognize that Knight essentially bought them relevance, they also recognize that they're pretty behind the true top 10 power schools in terms of resources. Particularly in the NIL era.

The grass is always greener.

For sure. It's funny though, I have a couple of close friends who are Oregon alums, and as much as they recognize that Knight essentially bought them relevance, they also recognize that they're pretty behind the true top 10 power schools in terms of resources. Particularly in the NIL era.

The grass is always greener.

Too much is never enough (thank you Robert Smith).

A bud's kid was recruited there for a different sport and was dumbfounded at their resources. Grass is always greener for sure.

doesn‘t have to be a total d bag like Meyer but if it does go south I’m tired of having “nice guy” coaches. Find someone mean.

I would never watch another Syracuse game if we hired that sleezy bum.
It won’t be Meyer anyway, but that would be your choice because in this hypothetical scenario, if he was hired and was a winner more for every 1 person the school lost because he is sleezy we would gain 3 because he is a winner Imo

It won’t be Meyer anyway, but that would be your choice because in this hypothetical scenario, if he was hired and was a winner more for every 1 person the school lost because he is sleezy we would gain 3 because he is a winner Imo
Absolutely. Your casual fan that doesn't follow football all that closely would be ecstatic with a hire like Urban unaware of his past. It's not going to happen, but it would actually probably help with attendance because people would be curious to what the team would look like.

if meyer came to Syracuse he would win early and often. He's not coming to Syracuse because you could sub out meyer for saban, belichick, pop warner, knute rockne and i'd say the same thing.

Our ONLY shot at a real showstopper name (and I doubt he'd consider coming) is someone like Matt Patricia (former SU guy) or Bill O'Brien who wants to stay near Boston (has a kid with some medical needs) but wants another shot at the HC gig in college (i don't know if he does) and BC goes the Chesney route. O'Brien isn't getting the Pats job (Mayo is) and his record this year won't be getting him an NFL HC job.

I put a prior paragraph together with a run on sentence of hypotheticals. laying out the needle thread with a "name" guy. I suspect JW has in mind 3-5 guys who he wants and i doubt O'Brien is on there.

One thing that's interesting about JW is he hasn't made a football HC hire yet. He made the chalk choice in hoops and lacrosse. If history is any guide, the football choice would be a chalk pick too. Not sure who the chalk guy is in football though.

I put all these scenarios at 5% but that would be the pie in the skys for me.

if meyer came to Syracuse he would win early and often. He's not coming to Syracuse because you could sub out meyer for saban, belichick, pop warner, knute rockne and i'd say the same thing.

Our ONLY shot at a real showstopper name (and I doubt he'd consider coming) is someone like Matt Patricia (former SU guy) or Bill O'Brien who wants to stay near Boston (has a kid with some medical needs) but wants another shot at the HC gig in college (i don't know if he does) and BC goes the Chesney route. O'Brien isn't getting the Pats job (Mayo is) and his record this year won't be getting him an NFL HC job.

I put a prior paragraph together with a run on sentence of hypotheticals. laying out the needle thread with a "name" guy. I suspect JW has in mind 3-5 guys who he wants and i doubt O'Brien is on there.

One thing that's interesting about JW is he hasn't made a football HC hire yet. He made the chalk choice in hoops and lacrosse. If history is any guide, the football choice would be a chalk pick too. Not sure who the chalk guy is in football though.

I put all these scenarios at 5% but that would be the pie in the skys for me.
That's going to be the interesting thing. I think most agree we don't have a chalk guy in football.

That's going to be the interesting thing. I think most agree we don't have a chalk guy in football.
it's probably Lewis but he's probably looking at much bigger now.

That rule is so incredibly dumb, if a team is good enough to be bowl eligible and/or conference title game eligible in their first two seasons in the FBS, why the hell would there be a rule preventing that? Makes zero sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom