Class of 2022 - Jai Smith (Ludden / NC) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 Jai Smith (Ludden / NC)

jeesh...congrats to the young man!! strange recruitment. Everyone but Cuse getting involved lately.

Did anyone consider the possibility that he told the staff he wasn't interested in going to Syracuse? I do not believe the staff is just letting this kid hang out there with all the offers he has.

Just my thoughts. And if that is the case, I'm glad the staff isn't wasting time on a kid who doesn't want to play here.

Did anyone consider the possibility that he told the staff he wasn't interested in going to Syracuse? I do not believe the staff is just letting this kid hang out there with all the offers he has.

Just my thoughts. And if that is the case, I'm glad the staff isn't wasting time on a kid who doesn't want to play here.
This could be the case (and maybe you know this?)but the kid attended our elite camp twice that i know of and has always talked good about cuse. Even had some positive remarks about cuse 8 weeks ago and at the time mentioned Dior being committed. Back in a interview he did in August he mentions Cuse showing interest still so im not sure he was in a place to tell cuse to kick rocks...but maybe now he is? Still seems unlikely. Maybe the interest isn't that great on both ends and its just that simple idk? Interesting recruitment though.

Last edited:
old pic but at one point this kid liked Syracuse and would of loved getting a offer. Maybe things soured on his end when the offer never came? But its not like all the big offers have been there for awhile...hes just lately been starting to pile them up.

So I'll just say this...i don't know a ton about his recruitment but I was told that he would be excited for a cuse offer and would seriously consider it. I think he has been waiting a long time thinking one could possibly come but now that he's getting so much attention from everyone else im not sure if ours will mean as much (unless we are his dream school?) I was also told, "they playing." (Syracuse is) so take that fwiw. Not sure this kid at any point told our staff he wasn't interested.

Last edited:
I guess I could see his shooting being a issue but that hasn't stopped us from offering kids like him in the past. He has really turned into a athlete and has a big strong build.

Not if his shooting is a liability. At the very least, you have to be a decent mid-range shooter in this system.
He has offers from several high major schools. Wouldn’t you believe that be enough to say he has requisite skills that make him hi.ghly regarded and desirable?

He has offers from several high major schools. Wouldn’t you believe that be enough to say he has requisite skills that make him hi.ghly regarded and desirable?

Agreed. The notion that Smith isn't "good enough" for SU / the ACC is being dispelled by his burgeoning, very impressive offer list.

Agreed. The notion that Smith isn't "good enough" for SU / the ACC is being dispelled by his burgeoning, very impressive offer list.

So - for whatever reason(s), on whichever side(s), there doesn't appear to be any Syracuse interest here.

Can any "people who know things" elaborate on why that may be?
Did JB not take a picture with him in 8th grade? ;)

I think it must simply be that there’s no room at the inn at the moment. We have a logjam at forward and will for the next few years with Quincy, Woody and then Benny coming in. We’re also now in the Huntley sweepstakes and he’s a top 5 kid. We’ve also been recruiting Chance and Justin Taylor (who’s a great shooter), albeit at SF, for a while now. If the staff sees Benny as one and done and Jai stays with the ‘22 Class, then maybe an offer comes along.

I think it must simply be that there’s no room at the inn at the moment. We have a logjam at forward and will for the next few years with Quincy, Woody and then Benny coming in. We’re also now in the Huntley sweepstakes and he’s a top 5 kid. We’ve also been recruiting Chance and Justin Taylor (who’s a great shooter), albeit at SF, for a while now. If the staff sees Benny as one and done and Jai stays with the ‘22 Class, then maybe an offer comes along.
While your logic make sense, BH-H is a big forward and Syracuse offered him. Plus Quincy G. could be gone before his junior year if he continues to improve on his good play this year. Plus BH-H is not a given. Not sure about Jan’s talent level but he is getting a lot of interest.

Last edited:
I don't think SU would recruit him as a wing at 6'9", 235, that's probably a C, and they have too many
post guys on the roster already, if all of them stay, and even then they're probably hoping to swap
out Sidibe for Mulvey or Clingan. It would be nice to have someone that size, as opposed to just going
for the skinny dudes.

Hope they showed/are showing real interest in the local / formerly local guy, unlike the FSU commit this
past class, at least before it's too late.

Kev

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom