Class of 2014 - Ja'Quan Newton | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Ja'Quan Newton

Newton video from his South Philly floater killing spree on victims at the NBPA 158xo0.png. Check the move he puts on Josh Perkins 25 secs in:D . To think this kid isn't even ranked in the top 50 by all of the major rankings is a joke.

Newton video from his South Philly floater killing spree on victims at the NBPAView attachment 3887. Check the move he puts on Josh Perkins 25 secs in:D . To think this kid isn't even ranked in the top 50 by all of the major rankings is a joke.
Always been underrated, this guy. Not sure why.
Great move at :25 and check out :50. That guy he faked out must have cried his way home after that!

Always been underrated, this guy. Not sure why.
Great move at :25 and check out :50. That guy he faked out must have cried his way home after that!
If I'm JB and the staff I would just offer him asap. Joseph, Whitehead, and Newton are all high quality options to chose from.

Ja'Quan Newton@J_Newton20
44m
"Me and My Bro @Isaiah_W15 Thinking of Something crazy #Staytuned"
I mean if that doesn't sound like a package deal to 'Cuse, I dont know what does. You have to be thinking Ennis is at Cuse for two years max. They need other PG options and this truly sounds like a tremendous opportunity
Crazy would be both going to Minn.

love how he dribbles finishes in physical situations nice dribble change of direction, and real confident floater. Looks faster in this clip.

I actually prefer Newton over Briscoe at this point. I'd also say if it were between Newton and Joseph or Whitehead I'd offer all three and take whoever committed first ands second.

It would be awesome to have Newton continue the flow of talent from Neumann-Goretti to the Syracuse Basketball program. Scoop and Rick were two fantastic contributors to the program, Rick for 4 years and Scoop for 5. The importance of players like Scoop and Rick to the stability of the program cannot be overstated enough. The template for 5 star players has become increasingly morphing towards "one and done" and while Syracuse has been obtaining players who are just under the very top echelon of High School players and they have wisely gone toward a "two and done" strategy with players such as MCW and Dion Waiters I wonder if we aren't on the precipice of that changing. The "2 and done" has allowed them time to learn the subtle nuances of Jimmy B's instantaneously responsive Active Zone and then provided them with the chance to let it rip the 2nd year. While there are players who are ready to contribute right away at the NBA level, most players would benefit from extra time at the college level in that they can work on their game, mature physically, mentally and emotionally so they might improve themselves to be more NBA ready.

One thing that I've heard more than once from former players is their extolling the joy of the College experience and the Syracuse Basketball "family" experience that is a result of a close knit structure of coaches, players, trainers, and the college community at Syracuse. It would seem that intangibles such as those might help in attracting certain players who while their ultimate aim is to play in the NBA are also looking to garner as much as possible in all areas during their time at the collegiate level. I don't think it would be a stretch to assume that there are many players who may feel that they can someday play in the NBA but are aware that they do need to develop somewhat before they try to make that transition.

It would seem that there is a qualitative difference in say, the Kentucky basketball experience from the standpoint of a player and the Syracuse experience. Kentucky has become inarguable "one and done" collegiate institution and there is certainly a different vibe inside of a program which is hard wired for a high percentage of players being on the team for only one season. There is certainly more fanfare and publicity surrounding the kids who choose Kentucky and with it the expectation to perform at a high level from day one. Coach Calipari has demonstrated that a Championship can be won utilizing it's template but it remains to be seen if that level of success is sustainable . The sharp contrast between the 11-12 team and the 12-13 team bears this out.

I suppose there are differences from the perspective of the college basketball fan too. The game of College Basketball has changed so much over the past 25 years that it is hardly recognizable. If you are a Kentucky fan you become enamored with a short lived, compacted one season stand with your favorite player or players. In order to stretch out the duration of the fan/ player love affair you could start to include the recruitment experience and the NBA draft experience as part of the Kentucky Basketball player career. It's become a harsh reality that most great players have a very short collegiate shelf life. It's a shame but it is what it is. But because of all that, it makes players like Scoop and Rick all that more special. Watching them develop and hone their craft while seemingly getting to know them a little better over the course of 4 or 5 years has a special allure to it. It's a throwback to the way it used to be. Maybe that's why I like it so much. It also lends itself to the belief that experience, teamwork, and the esprit d' corp of a group of kids who have been through a lot together can trump superior talent. I don't rule out the fact that being a Syracuse Basketball fanatic has biased my perception but I really like the manner in which JB blends the 3 and 4 year "program" type players with the others who have a more direct NBA trajectory. It's also nice that he has managed to get 2 years out of the kids who ended up being high 1st rounders. But... maybe I'll change my tune when the likes of McCullough and perhaps several others who are going to be wearing Orange in the near future are only wearing Orange for 1 year. Perhaps that's why I like spending so much time on the recruiting board... gotta stretch that Chris McCullough experience out to make it a 4 year gig!

JB has no 2 and done strategy. He has tried and missed on numerous 1 and dones (Davis, Noel, Wiggins, and many others). With the exception of Ennis, all our other '13-14 recruits are probably option B. This is one reason why SU's recruiting is a notch below the elite schools. The other reason is the 5 stars we do get tend not to live up to expectations as freshmen (Dion, Rak, Coleman) and so they have to stay around longer.

So our players stay around longer, giving them more experience, which helps us win more than our share of games. Just don't think that is the intended startegy. As for me, I hope Chris turns out to be a 1 and done talent, we can use that type of performance in '14-15, it served us well in '03-04.

JB has no 2 and done strategy. He has tried and missed on numerous 1 and dones (Davis, Noel, Wiggins, and many others). With the exception of Ennis, all our other '13-14 recruits are probably option B. This is one reason why SU's recruiting is a notch below the elite schools. The other reason is the 5 stars we do get tend not to live up to expectations as freshmen (Dion, Rak, Coleman) and so they have stay around longer.

So our players stay around longer, giving them more experience, which is helps us win more than our share of games. Just don't think that is the intended startegy. As for me, I hope Chris turns out to be a 1 and done talent, we can use that type of performance in '14-15, it served us well in '03-04.
JB has no 2 and done strategy. He has tried and missed on numerous 1 and dones (Davis, Noel, Wiggins, and many others). With the exception of Ennis, all our other '13-14 recruits are probably option B. This is one reason why SU's recruiting is a notch below the elite schools. The other reason is the 5 stars we do get tend not to live up to expectations as freshmen (Dion, Rak, Coleman) and so they have stay around longer.

So our players stay around longer, giving them more experience, which is helps us win more than our share of games. Just don't think that is the intended startegy. As for me, I hope Chris turns out to be a 1 and done talent, we can use that type of performance in '14-15, it served us well in '03-04.
We tried and missed on Noel and Davis because Kentucky got involved . We are recruiting as good as anybody that doesn't pay their players. And many of these players that don't come here get bumped up when they pick one of the recruiting expert darling schools .

This day and age 1 and dones are very tough to come by unless youre Kentucky. Go through any "elite " schools players the past 5 years or so and see how many 1 and dones they had. I'm sure the numbers would be far less than the common belief.

We tried and missed on Noel and Davis because Kentucky got involved . We are recruiting as good as anybody that doesn't pay their players. And many of these players that don't come here get bumped up when they pick one of the recruiting expert darling schools .

"We are recruiting as good as anybody that doesn't pay their players."
Not true. Take a look at Duke and N Carolina. For 2014 and 1015 Duke is involved with twice as many 5 star players as we are and NC is involved with over 50% more. There are a handful of schools that generally recruit on a higher level. When you get an offer from Duke, NC, Kansas, Kentucky, maybe even Louisville, you do not go to the likes of Minn. or AZ. We are probably top ten but not top 5. The top selector schools have multiple national championships while we have one. We need to take the next step. Fortunately, we are primed to do so.

Not true. Take a look at Duke and N Carolina. For 2014 and 1015 Duke is involved with twice as many 5 star players as we are and NC is involved with over 50% more. There are a handful of schools that generally recruit on a higher level. When you get an offer from Duke, NC, Kansas, Kentucky, maybe even Louisville, you do not go to the likes of Minn. or AZ. We are probably top ten but not top 5. The top selector schools have multiple national championships while we have one. We need to take the next step. Fortunately, we are primed to do so.
Ok we already have the best player in the class locked up for 2014. Both our classes for those years will be banner classes IMO.

AZ has beaten out all of those schools that you mentioned for top recruits over the past few years. Miller and his staff are great recruiters with lots of connections, so I wouldn't lump them up with Minnesota and imho they are at least on par with Louisville. Minnesota on the other hand I'll say this, Slick Rick Jr has put together a good staff and has done a good job building up some juice for that program. With that said, until they start racking up commits from top 50 players that we're recruiting, as the French Montana song goes "I ain't worried bout nuttin."

Right now we have mainly been an east coast stronghold as far as recruiting is concern. We might occasionally go after somebody out of the region hard, but for the most part the staff puts most of it's energy trying to hold NY, NJ, PA, and the whole DMV down. I'm not sure if we'll be a national selector school anytime soon, but I do believe that we'll always have enough strong contacts and good relationships to compete for the top prospects in the northeast to stay competitive for championships.

AZ has beaten out all of those schools that you mentioned for top recruits over the past few years. Miller and his staff are great recruiters with lots of connections, so I wouldn't lump them up with Minnesota and imho they are at least on par with Louisville. Minnesota on the other hand I'll say this, Slick Rick Jr has put together a good staff and has done a good job building up some juice for that program. With that said, until they start racking up commits from top 50 players that we're recruiting, as the French Montana song goes "I ain't worried bout nuttin."

Right now we have mainly been an east coast stronghold as far as recruiting is concern. We might occasionally go after somebody out of the region hard, but for the most part the staff puts most of it's energy trying to hold NY, NJ, PA, and the whole DMV down. I'm not sure if we'll be a national selector school anytime soon, but I do believe that we'll always have enough strong contacts and good relationships to compete for the top prospects in the northeast to stay competitive for championships.

Who do YOU think our next commit will be?? Just your gut feeling and what you hear...?

I know you probably get asked this all the time.

Who do YOU think our next commit will be?? Just your gut feeling and what you hear...?

I know you probably get asked this all the time.
It's all good, I could get asked that a million times and will be glad to answer it a million right back lol:).

As far as 2014, last month I would've said Joseph was ours for sure because I knew the staff was trying to get him on campus and felt confident that they would've closed the deal. It never happened and now with all of the Whitehead and Newton stuff, I should have a better idea of how things will shake out when the live period begins next Wednesday. Two guards and a big seems to be the goal but I wouldn't be surprise if another wing came into the picture.

2015, there is strong mutual interest currently with D. Jones, Malachi, and Diagne. I heard if Jones doesn't collect any big boy offers this month that he could commit to us early if we pushed for a commitment when he visits most likely in August. I think we'll eventually get Thomas Bryant, but he'll most likely play the field like DC2 and do his due diligence with other schools.

2016, it's early but the staff loves Tyus Battle. Lets hope UK doesn't get involve and Cal sends his Jersey goon WWW to swoop in on Battle's family and steal him away from us.

Francis, if you had to make a best educated guess on the 14 guys what are you expecting to ultimately occur?

What do you think would be the best possible scenario for us as we go forward?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom