Jason Beck, Rocky Long, and the rest of the Staff | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Jason Beck, Rocky Long, and the rest of the Staff

The only coach any good is Rocky Long. Our offense stinks so why do people say keep Beck?!
Because bad offense doesn't necessarily equal bad offensive coordinator. The sample size here is way smaller than it is for the other places he's been that have had really good offenses. He was here for two years total and only one as OC. We can't lay all the blame on him for the offense. He was trying to make chicken soup from chicken crap.

I'm good if the new HC decides to keep him.

Hoping that Nunzio is retained, TE / AHC
Hoping Dennis Thomas is retained

Travis Fisher - maybe but I am guessing he is already looking for his next landing spot.

I think Beck got a bad break this year. No way Dino let free of the reigns watching the season play out. I think Beck was probably hamstrung by what Coach wanted. He does beat responsibility for the QB room being a disaster, however.

Long - a legend, but the D regressed this year and I think he is at the point of retiring or becoming an analyst / consultant role somewhere warm.

Pretty much every other coach will probably not be retained, and most of the support staff will cycle out this year and next.

Looking objectively, could see a new coach retaining two or three people for some continuity and filling the rest with people they are familiar with.

Because bad offense doesn't necessarily equal bad offensive coordinator. The sample size here is way smaller than it is for the other places he's been that have had really good offenses. He was here for two years total and only one as OC. We can't lay all the blame on him for the offense. He was trying to make chicken soup from chicken crap.

I'm good if the new HC decides to keep him.
And the best season Dino had here was when his starting QB didn't follow his script, and changed the plays.
I don't blame Anae or Beck, neither one suddenly forgot how to coach.
Dino has shown no ability to make in game good decisions. He has been consistently bad on in game decisions.

We looked like a poorly coached team outside of RB and TE. If they aren't an ace recruiter why would we want anyone on the staff stay? Or are we laying every single coaching issue, recruiting, and player development at the feet of Dino and all his assistants are excellent and he was just holding everyone back?

We looked like a poorly coached team outside of RB and TE. If they aren't an ace recruiter why would we want anyone on the staff stay? Or are we laying every single coaching issue, recruiting, and player development at the feet of Dino and all his assistants are excellent and he was just holding everyone back?
I would put most of the blame on Dino, except for Dungey one year, no matter who was OC the same cr*p happened every year.

I would put most of the blame on Dino, except for Dungey one year, no matter who was OC the same cr*p happened every year.

And dating back to Dino’s prior 2 HC jobs, his teams were consistently in the bottom 5-10% nationally in penalties against.

Every. Single. Year.

I’d say between that, clock management, and bizarre calls/decisions, he cost us 1-2 W’s pretty much every season.

And he likely still believes that those things are a strength of his,
and not the glaring, drive-killing, game-losing weaknesses they truly are.

Not if the next coach doesn’t want any of them.
It is a consistent fact that Head Coaches being hired usually want to bring in their own staff so it really doesn't matter who you would like to keep or not keep.

To follow that up I think it is too bad that Jason Beck has not had the time to realize his potential. Who knows who was really calling the plays and how much input Dino had in play calling. I'd really like to know that.

Rocky hasn't had a chance either and he knows the 335 but who knows whether the new coach is going to keep that D.

All coaches are a fraternity. Every coach knows a lot about who is out there and available and who they want.

To follow that up I think it is too bad that Jason Beck has not had the time to realize his potential. Who knows who was really calling the plays and how much input Dino had in play calling. I'd really like to know that.

Rocky hasn't had a chance either and he knows the 335 but who knows whether the new coach is going to keep that D.

All coaches are a fraternity. Every coach knows a lot about who is out there and available and who they want.
Be interested to see how Saturday is called and plays out, even with the situation with injuries

Aren't you at all intrigued by the offense Beck put together the last 2 weeks? This is an offense Syracuse could recruit to with success.

At least we found this out about Beck tonight on the Coach Nunzio Show. To bad Dino did not give Beck any credit while he was the head coach.

Per Chris Carlson: “On SU football coaches' show interim head coach Nunzio Campanile credits OC Jason Beck for having an approach in which he looks at what each player does best and tries to accommodate that. Said he led the way on the dramatic offensive changes the past two weeks.”

At least we found this out about Beck tonight on the Coach Nunzio Show. To bad Dino did not give Beck any credit while he was the head coach.

Per Chris Carlson: “On SU football coaches' show interim head coach Nunzio Campanile credits OC Jason Beck for having an approach in which he looks at what each player does best and tries to accommodate that. Said he led the way on the dramatic offensive changes the past two weeks.”
Which somewhat verifies why Anae left, and why this offense has been a dumpster fire. Dino couldn't allow the people he hired to do their job without his interference.

Aren't you at all intrigued by the offense Beck put together the last 2 weeks? This is an offense Syracuse could recruit to with success.
Yes I am. I think Beck could really put together an outstanding offense. I want he and he alone to call the plays. I think he's a great offensive mind that needs a chance to show what he can do w/o interference from the HC.

Last edited:
Yes I am. I think Beck could really out together an outstanding offense. I want he and he alone to call the plays. I think he's a great offensive mind that needs a chance to show what he can do w/o interference from the HC.
You can get really top notch run blocking lineman, they don't really have much of a place in the modern spread passing offenses. You had to see that offense dominate Pitt and really by the second half GTech as well. If Beck can work in some down field passing for a few big plays, it would be hard to stop. I'm sure he's working on that. The QB's you need for that offense are also very getable.

Beck has shown nothing amazing yet. A literal handful of good, in sync drives all season. Maybe Dino was handcuffing him, would be nice to know.
I honestly liked Anae’s offense last season. This year even when Shrader was healthy was a lot of throws down the sidelines. Anae seemed to work the middle of the field more. I’m sure a lot of that has to do with the loss of Gadsen but Villari has shown he could have been utilized in a limited but similar role. I’m curious how much that had to do with the play calling and overall scheme?

Fisher and Nunzio for recruiting. I'd love Beck as QB coach. I'd be happy to have Long back, but would be surprised if he'd want to hang around for a new guy, unless it's White.
I wonder how White and Long would work together knowing they both run a 3-3-5.

I wonder how White and Long would work together knowing they both run a 3-3-5.
Rocky is the one who recommended White to SU in the first place. Well second place after Zach Arnett. White coached under Long for 8 years at SDSU.