Jay wright ucla? | Syracusefan.com

Jay wright ucla?

goodroc

Starter
Thamel just tweeted he has heard jay wright linked to ucla opening

And this which makes more sense

@SIPeteThamel: USC and UCLA should have a contest to see who can get more coaches raises. Neither a great job. Hard to lure an elite name.

UCLA's wish list IMO will be
1. Billy Donovan
2. Shaka Smart
3. Brad Stevens
4. Mark Few
5. Mark Gottfried
6. Lorenzo Romar

People always say good jobs aren't good when they're open (because they're rarely if ever open when the program is 'up'). They said that about Kentucky, and Alabama in football.

People always say good jobs aren't good when they're open (because they're rarely if ever open when the program is 'up'). They said that about Kentucky, and Alabama in football.
Ben Howland went 3 Final Fours in 10 years in UCLA and that wasn't good enough. UCLA's expectations are completely out of whack. Kentucky was mediocre the last couple of years with Tubby Smith and Billy Gillispie. If Kentucky went to 3 Final Fours in 10 years the fanbase wouldn't be killing the coach. UCLA isn't the top banana in its market, the Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Trojan Football all have cache in LA. UCLA fired Ben Howland because people like Bill Walton destroyed the guy. UCLA played the fastest style in the Pac-12 and that wasn't good enough for Walton. I don't think Howland is a great coach, but he is getting a raw deal here. I said yesterday I think Lorenzo Romar from Washington is going to get this job because UCLA is going to swing and miss for big time coaches and they can't hire any assistant coaches.

Thamel just tweeted he has heard jay wright linked to ucla opening

They were talking about it on ESPN New York today -- pretty much thought that they would be going hard after Shaka, then Brad (they didn't think either would take it). After those two, thought guys like Gottfried, Romer, Pastner, Wright, etc would be getting looks.

Honestly, it sounds about right... we'll see how it plays out though.

Wright to UCLA, Hop to Nova, Hop back to Cuse when JAB calls it quits. Too much to hope for?

Ben Howland went 3 Final Fours in 10 years in UCLA and that wasn't good enough. UCLA's expectations are completely out of whack. Kentucky was mediocre the last couple of years with Tubby Smith and Billy Gillispie. If Kentucky went to 3 Final Fours in 10 years the fanbase wouldn't be killing the coach. UCLA isn't the top banana in its market, the Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Trojan Football all have cache in LA. UCLA fired Ben Howland because people like Bill Walton destroyed the guy. UCLA played the fastest style in the Pac-12 and that wasn't good enough for Walton. I don't think Howland is a great coach, but he is getting a raw deal here. I said yesterday I think Lorenzo Romar from Washington is going to get this job because UCLA is going to swing and miss for big time coaches and they can't hire any assistant coaches.

So UK nation is more rational than [anybody]. Riiiiiight.

As for the appeal of being the only game in town, that's in the eye of the beholder. I imagine some guys would like it, some wouldn't. In Nova's case, they're about 792 on the Philly totem pole somewhere between Phillies spring training and the arena football team.

@McMurphyESPN: RT @DavidWoods007: #Butler coach Brad Stevens declined to comment on speculation about UCLA job

If I'm USC, I call Ben Howland and offer him the job - no brainer. Can't stand his style but 3 FF and a tie for 1st in the Pac 12 this year is a major step up for USC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom