JB and Roberson

Discussion in 'Syracuse Basketball Board' started by Cuse House, Jan 10, 2017.

1. iommi

iommi Hall of Fame

If this comes off like more piling on FH from me, so be it. I don't care. Kid deserves it.

I don't think FH is the sharpest tool. Okay, I sort of take that back. He has shown no hoops IQ this year. And it's weird: where is the vision he had last year? He looks shattered. Then again, if he's rattled, he's the one to blame. His regression is obvious. That's the sad part, how he got here isn't sad at all. I shed no tears for a guy with self-inflicted wounds. Especially, a guy who has damaged his team and the program's future.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Otto21, two3zone and MSOrange like this.
  2. Shark58

Shark58 Walk On

100% this

3. IthacaMatt

IthacaMatt Hall of Fame

It's kind of relentless and the kid has shown he doesn't really respond.

Do you think the 'hairdryer' treatment is making him a better player? Because it's clearly not.

tbonezone and longislandcuse like this.
  4. STEVEHOLT

STEVEHOLT There are FIVE letter in the name BLAIN.

we dont know their relationship. we dont know just exactly the dynamic. for all we know, roberson is so dang unresponsive to JB's requests in practice and makes the same errors over and over again, that it manifests in public, but it was brewed in private.

5. Briancuse

Briancuse Living Legend

I can't blame Jb for being frustrated, the talent is there, and he just hasn't reached what he is capable of.

6. NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven Living Legend

I always hear this damn tune. Is the talent there? What's he capable of? Beating the Monstars?

I want to know these answers because I keep hearing this nonsense.

two3zone likes this.
  7. br801

br801 All American

Of course the talent is there -- the talent to be a disruptive force defensively and on the glass, particularly the offensive glass. It's been on display in numerous high leverage games throughout his career, but it has also been absent in many other games. That is the source of the frustration for JB and many others.

orangedave, SoBeCuse and MSOrange like this.
  8. pfister1

pfister1 All American

And this is exactly why JB yells at him more than anyone else. Roberson seems to need constant motivation in order to keep/get his fire lit. I mean he's a freaking senior, this shouldn't be necessary by the time you have 4 years in. He should understand that that you have to bring it every freaking night especially when your game is all about tenacity, rebounding, defense and doing the hard things.

But if you guys who keep complaining about JB treating him so poorly would rather that JB hold his hand and sing Kumbaya with him, maybe it would be worth trying.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  9. NineOneSeven

I think a lot of this stems from fouls. When he picks up early fouls, he fades away. And it makes complete sense. A guy who is "supposed" to be in there battling 2-3 guys for rebounds every possession is going to pick up some fouls. Unfortunately, it's hard to be aggressive when you are picking up fouls. Makes you timid.

CuseFaninVT likes this.
  10. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

One think I do know, nobody on the message board declaring what's good or bad for Robey has any clue at all what's good or bad for him. NO IDEA. JB has been with the kid everyday for 4 years.

orangedave and pfister1 like this.
  11. cspades99

cspades99 Walk On

The second part of that diatribe is something like "you're a senior and we're here on the road and you're coming out flat, are you kidding me?" I know Roberson was calling for some fouls last night, one of them worked (when he deked the ref). It was savvy, but that's not gonna win any points with JB. Especially against a Buzz Williams team.

The fact of the matter is this: Roberson has to be the leader of this team. Has to. Whether we, or JB, likes it or not, he's the defacto lead dog of this team as a 4 year senior getting bulk minutes and he simply doesn't do it. He doesn't do it vocally, doesn't do it by example. Is that his fault? No, it's his nature. Does that make it any less infuriating for the coach? Not at all. And certainly not in a key road game that was ripe for the picking. Gillon and White may be 45 years old, but they've been here 6 months. And the fact that Roberson makes the same mistakes we saw 3 years ago with slow rotations, welp.

orangedave likes this.
  12. NineOneSeven

I don't have a problem with players being yelled at. That's the game. Anyone who has played sports has dealt with it. My issue is consistency and where Jim seems to point the finger. I also am sick of people here who post about Tyler "auditioning" and needing "fire every game" and all that overblown BS.

13. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

for all of JBs faults. People are going to be sorry when he's gone.

bballbeadle likes this.
  14. MSOrange

MSOrange 2016 Iggy Winner

This is how I feel. It was probably a week ago where we had a thread questing if Roberson should even see the court again as part of the regular rotation. He was okay last night but not as consistent as we need him to be throughout the game, and it seemed like a decent amount of his production was during too little too late time.

But he was far from the biggest problem. Gillon having a poor game killed us and then Lydon didn't start off well and then got hurt, plus as well as Thompson played on offense, he was a turnstile on defense.

PhatOrange likes this.
  15. NineOneSeven

absolutely.

16. CuseCPT

CuseCPT Starter

Treating him like a rented mule or coddling him aren't the only possible approaches.

17. pfister1

pfister1 All American

But after 4 years of being his coach, I'll trust JB to determine what approach has the best chance of working with him. It's not as though JB only has two approaches to his players, he treats them all somewhat differently and part of that is based on his assessment of what he thinks he needs to do to drag as much out of them as is possible. Maybe he's wrong? After all noone is right all the time. But 40 years of success says he's probably got a better grasp on what it might take to motivate Roberson then all of us who only see small 40 minute segments of Roberson, and from afar at that.

orangedave and Owens guy like this.
  18. CuseFaninVT

CuseFaninVT Living Legend

Is this first hand knowledge, or are you guessing like the rest of us?

19. IthacaMatt

IthacaMatt Hall of Fame

Sorry, but the results speak for themselves.

20. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

maybe the results are because he's just not that good.