JB, criticism, and taking responsibility | Syracusefan.com

JB, criticism, and taking responsibility

Flacusian

All Conference
First and foremost I love JB and think he is one of the greatest College basketball coaches of all time and is a brilliant professor of the game. What he has done with what he has had to work with since he first took over is nothing short of amazing. We are fortunate to have had him carve out the incredible program we all love so much and currently I don't think there there is another coach who is as emblematic and synonymous with the school they coach for as Jimmy B. But... he certainly isn't above criticism and as we all have seen he certainly doesn't believe that anyone else, be they players, beat writers, journalists, coaches, former players or ball boys are immune from his criticism. Sometimes JB seems a little tonedeaf and recently especially with the way he has handled some of his kids this season it seems to me that he would be well suited by making a few less barbed comments about others and perhaps realize that those comments do nothing to help the team, the players individually nor his image. Perhaps he doesn't care... and therein lies part of the problem IMO.

JB recruits these kids. He chooses who he offers scholarships to. He also is responsible for the defensive and offensive schemes the team utilizes. Ergo, he ostensibly assembles a team which is suited to meet the requirements for executing his type of play on the court during games. As head coach he also assembles his coaching staff and assistants to help teach and develop the players into a cohesive team that can best bring to fruition the vision JB has for the team and the program while also helping with each individual players development within the context of his team vision.

One can make the argument that JB is shorthanded this year on account of early departures to the NBA by kids he assumed would still be around. Short of players really blowing up over the course of a season you have to know your kids well enough to have a pretty good idea as to whether they are going to bolt at seasons end. It would also seem prudent to cultivate a relationship with the kids whereby the kids who would seem to be best suited by returning for another year aren't itching to move on. Excessive criticism certainly isn't productive in any manner whatsoever particularly to that end.

JB isn't responsible for all of the shots going in or for the kids to making free throws. But he is responsible for getting kids who have the ability to make shots and free throws and cultivate an atmosphere and team spirit which brings the best out of the players he does have. If JB is making comments such as "This is the worst offensive game I've ever seen". He needs to take some of the responsibility for it. If his players are bankrupt with respect to confidence... he needs to take SOME responsibility for it.

Some of those kids seem like they are PLAYING SCARED and I don't think it's too far fetched to think they might at times be more concerned about the repercussions of taking what JB will consider a bad shot or a boneheaded play rather than going out there and just playing the game that they are actually capable of. There are several players who would seem to be getting worse instead of better. Why is that? I have no idea what happens inside of that locker room or during the practices but what I have seen and heard are instances where JB seems to have crossed the line between tough critique with best interest of the player and team at heart... and mean spirited badgering out of frustration with no apparent benefit from having done so.

The players... and we need not name which ones, certainly have a lot to learn and they have some responsibility for some of this seasons poor play but in my opinion JB would be best served by leaving some of his vitriolic comments unspoken or at least not spoken in front of a microphone for all to hear.

JB reminds me of my late grandfather. Brilliant, hard nosed, hard working man but stubborn. If he said something it was fact, no matter what. I remember he told me somebody led baseball in home runs or something like that in he mid 80s, and back then I used to memorize baseball statistics for some reason, I told him he was wrong and a little discussion ensued and I searched for a baseball card to prove him wrong. I found the card and showed him and he told me the card was wrong. I really didn't know what to say to him and as 100% right as I was he made me feel like I was wrong. My point being is I think JB is kinda similar in that regard where no matter what, he's right even when he's wrong and he's going to make it sound like he's right and convince you he's right even when he's not. There's nothing wrong with it at all, but you can't say the guy isn't as stubborn as a mule that just had it's nuts ripped off.

First and foremost I love JB and think he is one of the greatest College basketball coaches of all time and is a brilliant professor of the game. What he has done with what he has had to work with since he first took over is nothing short of amazing. We are fortunate to have had him carve out the incredible program we all love so much and currently I don't think there there is another coach who is as emblematic and synonymous with the school they coach for as Jimmy B. But... he certainly isn't above criticism and as we all have seen he certainly doesn't believe that anyone else, be they players, beat writers, journalists, coaches, former players or ball boys are immune from his criticism. Sometimes JB seems a little tonedeaf and recently especially with the way he has handled some of his kids this season it seems to me that he would be well suited by making a few less barbed comments about others and perhaps realize that those comments do nothing to help the team, the players individually nor his image. Perhaps he doesn't care... and therein lies part of the problem IMO.

JB recruits these kids. He chooses who he offers scholarships to. He also is responsible for the defensive and offensive schemes the team utilizes. Ergo, he ostensibly assembles a team which is suited to meet the requirements for executing his type of play on the court during games. As head coach he also assembles his coaching staff and assistants to help teach and develop the players into a cohesive team that can best bring to fruition the vision JB has for the team and the program while also helping with each individual players development within the context of his team vision.

One can make the argument that JB is shorthanded this year on account of early departures to the NBA by kids he assumed would still be around. Short of players really blowing up over the course of a season you have to know your kids well enough to have a pretty good idea as to whether they are going to bolt at seasons end. It would also seem prudent to cultivate a relationship with the kids whereby the kids who would seem to be best suited by returning for another year aren't itching to move on. Excessive criticism certainly isn't productive in any manner whatsoever particularly to that end.

JB isn't responsible for all of the shots going in or for the kids to making free throws. But he is responsible for getting kids who have the ability to make shots and free throws and cultivate an atmosphere and team spirit which brings the best out of the players he does have. If JB is making comments such as "This is the worst offensive game I've ever seen". He needs to take some of the responsibility for it. If his players are bankrupt with respect to confidence... he needs to take SOME responsibility for it.

Some of those kids seem like they are PLAYING SCARED and I don't think it's too far fetched to think they might at times be more concerned about the repercussions of taking what JB will consider a bad shot or a boneheaded play rather than going out there and just playing the game that they are actually capable of. There are several players who would seem to be getting worse instead of better. Why is that? I have no idea what happens inside of that locker room or during the practices but what I have seen and heard are instances where JB seems to have crossed the line between tough critique with best interest of the player and team at heart... and mean spirited badgering out of frustration with no apparent benefit from having done so.

The players... and we need not name which ones, certainly have a lot to learn and they have some responsibility for some of this seasons poor play but in my opinion JB would be best served by leaving some of his vitriolic comments unspoken or at least not spoken in front of a microphone for all to hear.

I have never understood anger and criticism as a coaching technique and it is used universally by coaches. It seems one cannot have a sunshine and lollypops coach. I wish someone could help me understand why anger is used to motivate in sports? It has to have something to do with testosterone, the same way estrogen seems to cause humans to comfort and soothe and care take.

What I have liked seeing is JB being pretty calm during time outs. It seems he is teaching and reassuring. The press conference snark, I don't get. I do worry that the kids seem to be floundering.

I have a friend who's a Duke fan who doesn't like K. He says K is mean to his players. My other Duke fan friends idolize K. I suppose we could say this coaching thing is complicated.

bballbeadle said:
I have never understood anger and criticism as a coaching technique and it is used universally by coaches. It seems one cannot have a sunshine and lollypops coach. I wish someone could help me understand why anger is used to motivate in sports? It has to have something to do with testosterone, the same way estrogen seems to cause humans to comfort and soothe and care take. What I have liked seeing is JB being pretty calm during time outs. It seems he is teaching and reassuring. The press conference snark, I don't get. I do worry that the kids seem to be floundering. I have a friend who's a Duke fan who doesn't like K. He says K is mean to his players. My other Duke fan friends idolize K. I suppose we could say this coaching thing is complicated.

Somebody JUST posted an article about the Oregon football team using a different approach to coaching without the yelling and screaming. It's a post within the first few topics here, I think you'll enjoy it. It's very interesting.

JB reminds me of my late grandfather. Brilliant, hard nosed, hard working man but stubborn. If he said something it was fact, no matter what. I remember he told me somebody led baseball in home runs or something like that in he mid 80s, and back then I used to memorize baseball statistics for some reason, I told him he was wrong and a little discussion ensued and I searched for a baseball card to prove him wrong. I found the card and showed him and he told me the card was wrong. I really didn't know what to say to him and as 100% right as I was he made me feel like I was wrong.
This is an outstanding story. Thanks for sharing. We all know people like this.

JB reminds me of my late grandfather. Brilliant, hard nosed, hard working man but stubborn. If he said something it was fact, no matter what. I remember he told me somebody led baseball in home runs or something like that in he mid 80s, and back then I used to memorize baseball statistics for some reason, I told him he was wrong and a little discussion ensued and I searched for a baseball card to prove him wrong. I found the card and showed him and he told me the card was wrong. I really didn't know what to say to him and as 100% right as I was he made me feel like I was wrong. My point being is I think JB is kinda similar in that regard where no matter what, he's right even when he's wrong and he's going to make it sound like he's right and convince you he's right even when he's not. There's nothing wrong with it at all, but you can't say the guy isn't as stubborn as a mule that just had it's nuts ripped off.

Your late grandfather sounds like my girlfriend.

I'm not what one would call a JB loyalist... Look up my posts and you can see that. But this entire argument is flawed. What you are referring to with regards to players looking over their shoulders is known as the JB shuffle. The flaws in your theory are that the JB shuffle is typically only applied for defensive errors and more importantly does not apply to critical, or star players. In a team that goes 7 deep every starter is critical so honestly the only guys who need to worry about the JB shuffle are Buss and Roberson... Interestingly enough both those guys seem like the two most confident players on the court when they come on, unfortunately that confidence does not equate to buckets but it does equate to great D. I have yet to see a single starter pulled for making an offensive mistake, they are getting yanked for playing shitty D. So given that why are these guys playing scared?

I don't see players playing scared I see players who basically can't hit the ocean from the beach. Cmc's problem is he is a boy trying to play a mans game and he can't do it, and to compound matters he is making mistakes on D. JB's rep is to let star players play to a fault... It's funny that we are whining becsuse he is now holding one accountable.

Brooky03 said:
Your late grandfather sounds like my girlfriend.

Don't get me started on women. Lol

I'm not what one would call a JB loyalist... Look up my posts and you can see that. But this entire argument is flawed. What you are referring to with regards to players looking over their shoulders is known as the JB shuffle. The flaws in your theory are that the JB shuffle is typically only applied for defensive errors and more importantly does not apply to critical, or star players. In a team that goes 7 deep every starter is critical so honestly the only guys who need to worry about the JB shuffle are Buss and Roberson... Interestingly enough both those guys seem like the two most confident players on the court when they come on, unfortunately that confidence does not equate to buckets but it does equate to great D. I have yet to see a single starter pulled for making an offensive mistake, they are getting yanked for playing shitty D. So given that why are these guys playing scared?

I don't see players playing scared I see players who basically can't hit the ocean from the beach. Cmc's problem is he is a boy trying to play a mans game and he can't do it, and to compound matters he is making mistakes on D. JB's rep is to let star players play to a fault... It's funny that we are whining becsuse he is now holding one accountable.

JB Shuffle? Never heard that. Actually my argument is not disproved or proven to be flawed since your premise, "The JB Shuffle" which I'm going to assume means that a player is worried about playing time as their prime concern, is not what I was implying at all. If you have any knowledge about logic you would realize that any argument based on a faulty premise is doomed from it's very inception.

What I was alluding to in my post was the fact that criticism from a person who is acting in the capacity of coach or mentor, can cross over the line of being productive to being counter productive by eliciting negative or counter productive results by planting doubt in the minds of the players. It also can have the propensity to alter the focus and impede the performance of a player by promoting a general sense of negativity. The psychological component of athletic performance is as essential as the physical component. Whereas everyone is quick to point out the physical gifts and abilities of CM is it not interesting that his performance has precipitously dropped off since the onset of his coaches criticism?

JB Shuffle? Never heard that. Actually my argument is not disproved or proven to be flawed since your premise, "The JB Shuffle" which I'm going to assume means that a player is worried about playing time as their prime concern, is not what I was implying at all. If you have any knowledge about logic you would realize that any argument based on a faulty premise is doomed from it's very inception.

What I was alluding to in my post was the fact that criticism from a person who is acting in the capacity of coach or mentor, can cross over the line of being productive to being counter productive by eliciting negative or counter productive results by planting doubt in the minds of the players. It also can have the propensity to alter the focus and impede the performance of a player by promoting a general sense of negativity. The psychological component of athletic performance is as essential as the physical component. Whereas everyone is quick to point out the physical gifts and abilities of CM is it not interesting that his performance has precipitously dropped off since the onset of his coaches criticism?

I just finished watching the presser. What I saw was a clearly frustrated coach calling out players who he know are capable of playing better than they did last night. From where I sat, nothing was out to line or overly critical when taken in context.

For instance (I am paraphrasing):

1) Kaleb - Played great vs nova but hasn't been able to get going since. <<<ME: This is really true. Kaleb needs to play more consistently. >>>

2) Tyler - Some player grabbed the rim...what was he thinking...nothing. Also, Rak was open and he dribbled off his leg. We can't be doing that. <<<ME: The dribble off the leg was true, it was a bad play BUT NOTHING like the bad play on the putback. Plus, Tyler stayed in the game after each of these mistakes which says a lot. >>>

3) Chris - He started out playing great. Now we just want to get him to play bad because that would be a step up. <<<ME: If CMAC is so thin skinned that he cannot accept this criticism, then I feel bad for him because I think JB could of been far more critical. >>>

BTW...He also was critical of MG (I don't know why he took that shot) and Trevor (he passed when he should of shot and shot when he should of passed). Only Rak was spared last night...

So, at the end of the day, the kids needs to step it up and play to their potential. They know that. The coaches know that.

I'm curious and anxious to see if this happens...

Some great posts in here. For another perspective on coaching, I'd suggest a look at a book I recently finished called "Low Collision Crossers", which is a behind the scenes look at the Jets from a couple of years ago. It gives some great insight into why players loved playing for Rex Ryan and the main reason was that they felt he treated them as people and not employees. There are some quotes about him being invested in his players and their lives/interests off the field, and also how he took a lot of criticism in the media on himself instead of pointing the fingers at the them.

On that team was Antonio Cromartie and they spend a lot of time talking about his inability to accept criticism, and how it frustrated the coaches because of his natural ability. However coaches and players (especially Revis) would quickly point out that he was a guy who had no male figure in his life and so when he was not someone who responded to yelling and screaming from men in authority. Now I won't claim to know the backgrounds of our entire roster, but it's clear that one motivational tactic will not work for everyone. I don't doubt that JB is trying to get the most out of, and most for, his players, but I think he should be a little more about what is said in the media.

Some great posts in here. For another perspective on coaching, I'd suggest a look at a book I recently finished called "Low Collision Crossers", which is a behind the scenes look at the Jets from a couple of years ago. It gives some great insight into why players loved playing for Rex Ryan and the main reason was that they felt he treated them as people and not employees. There are some quotes about him being invested in his players and their lives/interests off the field, and also how he took a lot of criticism in the media on himself instead of pointing the fingers at the them.

On that team was Antonio Cromartie and they spend a lot of time talking about his inability to accept criticism, and how it frustrated the coaches because of his natural ability. However coaches and players (especially Revis) would quickly point out that he was a guy who had no male figure in his life and so when he was not someone who responded to yelling and screaming from men in authority. Now I won't claim to know the backgrounds of our entire roster, but it's clear that one motivational tactic will not work for everyone. I don't doubt that JB is trying to get the most out of, and most for, his players, but I think he should be a little more about what is said in the media.

Really interesting point. Coaching really is more than Xs and Os. It's about knowing the personalities of your players and what they will best respond to as far as motivation.

Really interesting point. Coaching really is more than Xs and Os. It's about knowing the personalities of your players and what they will best respond to as far as motivation.

It could just be that JB is now an old man, and has difficulty relating to teenaged players anymore. He's always been salty to a degree, but now he's combining that with the old man propensity not to give a sh-t what anybody thinks.

And I'm not knocking him for his press conference remarks like some. Sometimes, things in print look different than the way that they are said. JB has always displayed a wry, awkward, depricating humor that doesn't come across at all in print.

It could just be that JB is now an old man, and has difficulty relating to teenaged players anymore. He's always been salty to a degree, but now he's combining that with the old man propensity not to give a sh-t what anybody thinks.

And I'm not knocking him for his press conference remarks like some. Sometimes, things in print look different than the way that they are said. JB has always displayed a wry, awkward, depricating humor that doesn't come across at all in print.

Like x2

One observation: we've seen instances where this team plays better when the game goes "up-tempo" or is a more "wide-open" game...yet as a group they are very poor at executing the basics of fast-break basketball.

2-on-1, 3-2, delayed break, whatever. It's really, really odd to see basketball players in the year 2015 have a clear 2-on-1, drive to the basket, draw the defender, and continue on to a contested play when their teammate would have an uncontested layup with a simple bounce pass. How many times has this happened this year? I'm inclined to say 30+ occasions in half that many games.

Either we don't have a high hoops IQ squad (probable) and/or they are not getting the basics coached into them (possible), because in my experience if that ever happened the coaching response would not have resembled anything like the Oregon silence.

It's just interesting. Ironically, while I was critical of the offensive coaching early on, that has picked up I'd say in terms of the sets/offense they are running. The players seem to have settled into their roles and are getting the ball to the right people in the right spots more. But as others have mentioned, this seems to have coincided with regression on behalf of some of the players' statistics...

A major part of coaching is getting the most out of players' capabilities...and let's face it, getting the top guys to perform should be easy...Coaches make their money with the 4-8 guys.

Check out J.K. Simmon's phenomenal performance as Terrance Fletcher in "Whiplash" for an example of hard-nosed coaching taken to the extreme. JB is Mother Theresa in comparison.

I have never understood anger and criticism as a coaching technique and it is used universally by coaches. It seems one cannot have a sunshine and lollypops coach. I wish someone could help me understand why anger is used to motivate in sports? It has to have something to do with testosterone, the same way estrogen seems to cause humans to comfort and soothe and care take.

What I have liked seeing is JB being pretty calm during time outs. It seems he is teaching and reassuring.

This is a really good post. I've always been vocal on the same topic. When I was playing basketball, I didn't find motivation in getting screamed at by some middle-aged man. It's interesting to me that the angriest coaches seem to get the most recognition, especially from broadcasters. They're always "coaching their butts off" when they're ripping into some 18 year old kid or tearing their sports jacket off. Remember how much ESPN talking heads worshiped pre-videotape Mike Rice when he was Rutgers? Or how much they loved Bobby Gonzalez's "intensity"? Or the fawning over Buzz's manic outbursts last week? It's just embarrassing.

As good a tactician as he was, I blame it all on Bobby Knight.

when things are ugly Jb can get real ugly when things are bright his smile can light up so bright he has nothing to say, and is full of laughs.

I just hope he leads syracuse to #1 in the big dance atleast once more before he retires, so we can feel like the beatles again.

It's a fair point, and there have been times where watching the press conference has completely changed my perspective on what I read in recaps of his press conferences.

So what is the percentage of importance of what JB says in a press conference about a player, in the total of all interactions he has with a player? He has many hours of interaction with a player every day and we are picking apart 10 seconds.

This is a really good post. I've always been vocal on the same topic. When I was playing basketball, I didn't find motivation in getting screamed at by some middle-aged man. It's interesting to me that the angriest coaches seem to get the most recognition, especially from broadcasters. They're always "coaching their butts off" when they're ripping into some 18 year old kid or tearing their sports jacket off. Remember how much ESPN talking heads worshiped pre-videotape Mike Rice when he was Rutgers? Or how much they loved Bobby Gonzalez's "intensity"? Or the fawning over Buzz's manic outbursts last week? It's just embarrassing.

As good a tactician as he was, I blame it all on Bobby Knight.
Guys like buzz I wouldn't group in with JB. His kids against CUSE were playing their butts of and he had to cover his mouth when talking to players. He showed them up during the games when they were giving max effort. That's a bully in my opinion. This season when players come to the side line more often JB has been more of coach in pointing things out than covering his mouth and yelling. He has dealt with Joseph pretty fairly after mistakes when explaing things to him. In the press conferences he is just answering the questions and his opinions havn't been wrong.

As a player I would rather have my play discussed like that rather than getting screamed at when I come to the sidelines. My HS coach was an absolute nut job on the sidelines and I got my fair share of covered mouth talks. I played hard cause I wanted to win not because he was cursing at me or breaking a clip board on the floor in front of my face during a timeout. It's didn't hurt my feelings and I don't dislike my ex coach, but his antics didn't help me at all.

So what is the percentage of importance of what JB says in a press conference about a player, in the total of all interactions he has with a player? He has many hours of interaction with a player every day and we are picking apart 10 seconds.

I don't know - it's hard to gauge any of this. However, I would imagine this is one of those things your friends might see, or your family - so it's probably upsetting for that reason. Maybe it isn't - probably depends on the person how much they care or how much their friends are seeing it and bringing it up. My friends would send me screenshots all day and murder me over it...maybe his wouldn't. Maybe he just laughs it off.

He was on Deadspin the day after the first press conference amongst other places - whether the article was written by a two bit hack or what - it's still you Googling your name and seeing yourself getting made fun of publicly.

Google the kid's name, this is the first result I come up with:

Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim on Chris McCullough: 'Bad would be a step up from where we are'

10 or 15 years ago you could probably shred them all day in a press conference and nobody knows any of it except us nutjobs on these forums. Today, everyone can see it pretty easily.

when things are ugly Jb can get real ugly when things are bright his smile can light up so bright he has nothing to say, and is full of laughs.

I just hope he leads syracuse to #1 in the big dance atleast once more before he retires, so we can feel like the beatles again.
The Beatles saved my childhood when my name - BEADLE - went from being the laughing stock of the class to one of the coolest names evah!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom