JB in Rochester talks bigs, foul trouble,NIT etc | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

JB in Rochester talks bigs, foul trouble,NIT etc

I don’t have too strong of an opinion but that’s a good way to piss off season ticket holders

I’m just talking the lowest level opponents on the schedule. But it could even be considered a neutral site game and not a home game.

I think we should play one early season home game in a rotating cycle of Buffalo, Rochester and Albany every single year. Give those fans a bone who drive from those cities to attend games, and build the fanbase with younger fans from those places.

I remember playing St. Bonaventure in Rochester about 15 years ago. If I recall, that got a good crowd.

I’m just talking the lowest level opponents on the schedule. But it could even be considered a neutral site game and not a home game.
Playing Niagara or Albany or something like that would be a cool idea
Would the Season ticket holders really gripe about losing a game to Central Connecticut State or whomever? I'd think they'd see the value to the program by doing this.
People will gripe about anything. And I’m not sure how much value there really is.

Playing Niagara or Albany or something like that would be a cool idea

People will gripe about anything. And I’m not sure how much value there really is.

Helping build the fans base outside of the Syracuse market...That isn't NYC? I bet the Rochester season ticket holders would be cool with it too. Again, this is a cupcake game we re talking about. The ones where about half the season ticket holders at at anyway.

That JB makes mistakes does not in any way suggest that his critics are right about anything whatsoever.

Although you would like this to be trie

Describe what you mean by “sycophants”.

Do you mean “defenders “ against the attacks by the outraged amateurs on here?

My experience is that the defenders on here understand they are engaging in an argument or debate. They expect there to be give and take.

It’s the critics that start the name calling instead of debating.

As your use of the term “sycophants” amply demonstrates.
Right because when people have complained about the lack of having a qualities all-around bigs for 5 years are just complaining to complain.

JB admitting it at least shows the guy is trying to show he is human unlike how you evaluate him.
Criticism becomes less frustrating when the coach shows he gets the problem.
He has been way too thin skinned publicly and this acknowledgement helps him.
He isn’t god.

Just do 2 for 1's on a rotating basis with teams like Canisius, Siena and er...uh, St. John Fisher. ;)
It would put a game in each of those markets once every three years.

We became maximum home games team since Dr.Gross started spending a lot of revenue in the 2004-2005 range and the cashcow that was SU hoops picking up the AD where football attendance and season ticket holders went down.

I have given JB a lot of credit for this he has played loyal soldier for the SU AD to maximize as much revenue as it could.
I am sure JB likes the added benefit of more home games but it caused us to stop playing more than 1 non holiday tournament nonconference game away from home.

I remember playing St. Bonaventure in Rochester about 15 years ago. If I recall, that got a good crowd.

Yep I was at that game, as well.

Weird moment: this Bonnie student was jawing with an SU fan the entire game, so for some reason the Bonnie kid walked up really close to the SU fan and took a picture of him with a digital camera right up close to his face. The SU fan then literally jumped a rail and punched the kid in the face. Literally nobody from security saw it, so the Bonnie kid was just like, "hmmm, this is weird, oh well" and went and sat back down and it was like nothing happened.

Right because when people have complained about the lack of having a qualities all-around bigs for 5 years are just complaining to complain.

JB admitting it at least shows the guy is trying to show he is human unlike how you evaluate him.
Criticism becomes less frustrating when the coach shows he gets the problem.
He has been way too thin skinned publicly and this acknowledgement helps him.
He isn’t god.

Oh, JB is plenty human. As those of us who have watched press conference after press conference in which he shared opinions and assessment of his own team and individual players that very few coaches ever would know.

But your pointing it out has little value. It's obvious.

But you and your ilk spend a whole lot of time commenting on who plays, how long they play, the roles of practices. the strategies employed. etc., etc.

I don't blame him for being thin skinned when it comes to reporters who are there to trip him up so they can write a punchy column.

In this context, "sycophant" refers to one who refuses to criticize JB, and defends him at every turn, regardless of subject matter. Are you ever critical of JB?

You say that the "defenders" expect there to be give and take? Funny, as many of the critics of JB are quick to offer praise when they feel it's deserved and appropriate.

Might want to look in the mirror, re. name calling...
He’s an outraged amateur defender.

Oh, JB is plenty human. As those of us who have watched press conference after press conference in which he shared opinions and assessment of his own team and individual players that very few coaches ever would know.

But your pointing it out has little value. It's obvious.

But you and your ilk spend a whole lot of time commenting on who plays, how long they play, the roles of practices. the strategies employed. etc., etc.

I don't blame him for being thin skinned when it comes to reporters who are there to trip him up so they can write a punchy column.
You really don’t understand the entire point of forums like this.

Are you really looking for value? I’ve got some bad news for you...

You really don’t understand the entire point of forums like this.

Are you really looking for value? I’ve got some bad news for you...

So you have the purpose of forums down? Or is this just your opinion on what the point of forums ought to be?

Lately the purpose of this particular forum seems to be for some an opportunity to crap all over the program and JB because they are frustrated and need to vent.

I figure I'm doing a public service when I can point out how thin their arguments are. This does tend to rain on some parades.

I don’t have too strong of an opinion but that’s a good way to piss off season ticket holders
I’m a season ticket holder and I’d be pumped. I think if it’s known well in advance and the majority of ticket holders know this is a yearly thing then the blowback wouldn’t be that bad.

So you have the purpose of forums down? Or is this just your opinion on what the point of forums ought to be?

Lately the purpose of this particular forum seems to be for some an opportunity to crap all over the program and JB because they are frustrated and need to vent.

I figure I'm doing a public service when I can point out how thin their arguments are. This does tend to rain on some parades.
That’s not what I’m seeing at all. We lament the current state of the program, marvel at JB’s ability to cobble this many wins together with this ragtag group he’s assembled, and ponder the future path of the team we all love.

You must be bringing a very specific bias to how you read it.

That’s not what I’m seeing at all. We lament the current state of the program, marvel at JB’s ability to cobble this many wins together with this ragtag group he’s assembled, and ponder the future path of the team we all love.

You must be bringing a very specific bias to how you read it.

Lamenting the state of the program? Oh, that's what you call it?

So when I read long threads titled "Time for JB to quit", that's just "lamentation"?

If going to wherever for a game meant losing one home game, it will never happen. $$$$

willie mays is in the Hall of Fame. one of the all time greats.yet it's reasonable to argue hard he was hardly an all star his last few seasons . age caught up to him. got to know when to fold 'em.

Last edited:
I feel like JW should have thought of these contingencies a while ago and its a bit concerning that they never thought of this possibility?
FYI, the SUAD has been considering options and having discussions with various venues for several months. This applies to the women’s team as well.

Teams have had the same situation as we have had when making the NIT.

Illinois made the NIT years ago as a 1 seed and there arena was getting renovations I believe they played at Wagner instead. They just played all their games as a road team.

In 2013 Kentucky missed the tournament. Rupp Arena was going to be a host site for the NCAA tournament so Kentucky as a 1 seed played at Fairleigh Dickerson in Pittsburgh and lost.

So if we make the NIT we just play our games on the road. It’s fine.

PLEASE stop talking about Rochester. I'm still holding out for a miraculous finish to catapult us into the NCAA tourney. Even if that doesn't happen, it makes watching the games right now a LOT more fun. :)

Agree but the lowered expectations are a good thing this year. The more NIT talk the more likely we sneak into the big dance IMO. Or at least win multiple ACCT games for once.

Teams have had the same situation as we have had when making the NIT.

Illinois made the NIT years ago as a 1 seed and there arena was getting renovations I believe they played at Wagner instead. They just played all their games as a road team.

In 2013 Kentucky missed the tournament. Rupp Arena was going to be a host site for the NCAA tournament so Kentucky as a 1 seed played at Fairleigh Dickerson in Pittsburgh and lost.

So if we make the NIT we just play our games on the road. It’s fine.

Agree hopefully Merrimack wins their regular season but not the tournament and we play a road game vs them. Love that rule that all regular season champs get into the NIT if they don’t make the dance.