JB On The Dan Patrick Show... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB On The Dan Patrick Show...

Thanks for the recap! I don't nderstand this one. What does it mean?

I believe Dan Patrick was asking if Boeheim's "kids", as in family, said anything about it. Not the players/"kids". Boeheim's son, Jimmy, said it was a bad call but then asked for $40. Boeheim was joking that maybe he only was buttering him up for some money.

I believe Dan Patrick was asking if Boeheim's "kids", as in family, said anything about it. Not the players/"kids". Boeheim's son, Jimmy, said it was a bad call but then asked for $40. Boeheim was joking that maybe he only was buttering him up for some money.

Wow that is not what I would've gotten from that line so thanks for the clarification!

Don't feel sorry for Hop. If he wanted to go, he could. I think he likes where he's at and is probably paid very well. And Mike is what, 45 or so? He could still easily coach SU in 5 years, which will give him 10-20 years of being a head coach.

Reasonable sentiment.

There's always a lot of gnashing of teeth over Mike's position; many posters seem to think that getting a head coaching position would improve his life?

Would it? He's working at his alma mater (with colleagues he loves), killing it on the recruiting trail, making very good money, and raising a family in an environment he likes. His quality of life is excellent, considering the profession he's chosen.

The grass isn't always greener; tripling his salary by moving to a head coaching job at a different program may not, in fact, make his life better. He's in a good spot.

How Hop hasn't gotten a HC offer from a major program is beyond me. I mean really he could HC somewhere until JB retires and then SU just hires him back - no?

I would imagine any contract another program would offer him would have that option punitively covered too.

Love Hop too - would hate to lose him. So enthusiastic - phenomenal recruiter - relates so well to the players - loyal - smart - great guy and sooo patient.

Last edited:
Reasonable sentiment.

There's always a lot of gnashing of teeth over Mike's position; many posters seem to think that getting a head coaching position would improve his life?

Would it? He's working at his alma mater (with colleagues he loves), killing it on the recruiting trail, making very good money, and raising a family in an environment he likes. His quality of life is excellent, considering the profession he's chosen.

The grass isn't always greener; tripling his salary by moving to a head coaching job at a different program may not, in fact, make his life better. He's in a good spot.
I have always wondered why anyone would go into the coaching business. For most, it is a vagabond career. You work a few years as an assistant at one spot, then try to move up to a higher standing somewhere else; or else your head coach gets fired and you are out on the trail looking for a new gig. When you finally land a head coaching gig, the half life isn't very long, and you are going to get fired eventually and have to look for another, probably taking a step or two back to being an assistant.

I couldn't imagine trying to raise a family like that.

Hop has it made. He has a guaranteed gig in his adopted home town; his boss isn't going to get fired and neither is he. After putting in a long apprenticeship, he'll get the head job and probably a grace period of at least 4 years before he could get canned. If you are both a coach and a family man, it is the best of all possible worlds.

I have always wondered why anyone would go into the coaching business. For most, it is a vagabond career. You work a few years as an assistant at one spot, then try to move up to a higher standing somewhere else; or else your head coach gets fired and you are out on the trail looking for a new gig. When you finally land a head coaching gig, the half life isn't very long, and you are going to get fired eventually and have to look for another, probably taking a step or two back to being an assistant.

I couldn't imagine trying to raise a family like that.

Hop has it made. He has a guaranteed gig in his adopted home town; his boss isn't going to get fired and neither is he. After putting in a long apprenticeship, he'll get the head job and probably a grace period of at least 4 years before he could get canned. If you are both a coach and a family man, it is the best of all possible worlds.

The contents in this post cannot be underscored enough if/when the hop taking another gig question come up...

IMO, knowing what I know of Hop and his family being entrenched in the Syr community (wife hs, college), kids with school/sports/activities, etc, the wise/sound decision is wait your turn and be handed the keys. I would hope his compensation can continued to be tweaked, just from free market He isn't 50 right now, he isn't 60. Wait and you still can have a great 15-25 year run yourself.

Now, the only thing, IMO, that makes the above path hard to follow is ego. Successful people, and competitive, often have an ego that might lead to some internal conflict.

The contents in this post cannot be underscored enough if/when the hop taking another gig question come up...

IMO, knowing what I know of Hop and his family being entrenched in the Syr community (wife hs, college), kids with school/sports/activities, etc, the wise/sound decision is wait your turn and be handed the keys. I would hope his compensation can continued to be tweaked, just from free market He isn't 50 right now, he isn't 60. Wait and you still can have a great 15-25 year run yourself.

Now, the only thing, IMO, that makes the above path hard to follow is ego. Successful people, and competitive, often have an ego that might lead to some internal conflict.

There's another important factor too. SU has a new chancellor and Gross won't be here forever. What written, contractual assurances have been given to Hop to ensure he'd be the choice? When JB does leave, has he been guaranteed the head coaching job and I don't mean just verbal assurances. I don't know the law but even if there is one, if the administration changes and the people who agreed are no longer there - would an agreement be binding? If I was Mike, this would be a crucial factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom