JB post game presser | Syracusefan.com

JB post game presser

"the difference was brogden making two big threes and perrante making a three,,,blahblahblah,,,our perimeter defense was very good"

"the difference was brogden making two big threes and perrante making a three,,,blahblahblah,,,our perimeter defense was very good"

That was good perimeter defense? I'm sorry JB but it wasn't, you're spinning the fact that the zone just didn't work against this team at all. Our perimeter defense was bad.

What does Virginia shoot if our defense was bad? 90%? 100%?

That was good perimeter defense? I'm sorry JB but it wasn't, you're spinning the fact that the zone just didn't work against this team at all. Our perimeter defense was bad.

What does Virginia shoot if our defense was bad? 90%? 100%?
it was good in the 2nd half after tweaks were made

it was good in the 2nd half after tweaks were made

It was better the second half but it couldn't have gotten much worse than the first.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm guessing VA shot better than 40% from three and 50% overall in the second half.

I really wouldn't call anything the defense did today as good. Maybe it was average, or OK, but good, no way.

"We're giving centers All-American years. We cannot play defense inside." Lol.

Coleman HAS to be more serviceable here. Just play basic position defense. Just be serviceable. I can't even blame Lydon really since it isn't fair.

Coleman HAS to be more serviceable here. Just play basic position defense. Just be serviceable. I can't even blame Lydon really since it isn't fair.

i'll agree the defense tonite was indeed a bagel but the cavs didn't eat this bagel from the inside out.

i'll agree the defense tonite was indeed a bagel but the cavs didn't eat this bagel from the inside out.

For sure but cumulatively it is a big reason why we are losing even when teams aren't making threes.

I'm actually getting to the point where I think playing Chino a few minutes might help us defensively. Lydon and Coleman are just not competitive inside defensively. I don't know. We can't stop anyone in there.

I'm actually getting to the point where I think playing Chino a few minutes might help us defensively. Lydon and Coleman are just not competitive inside defensively. I don't know. We can't stop anyone in there.

As little as I think of Chino as a basketball player, sign me up as well.

I mean it can't hurt for a few minutes here or there. I hear you. But, we have so little margin for error offensively as well. Coleman and Lydon can do some things on O. Chino can't do anything...sigh.

No. Chino sure isn't the answer

We only had 12 points in the paint the entire game while Virginia had 30 points in the paint. We and UVA shot overall almost even from 3. (43.3% vs 44.4%). Wow.

Despite UVA out rebounding us by 3, they only scored one more point than us on 2nd chance points.

Our issue is inside, our lack of an intimidating inside presence on defense but mainly no inside offensive threat leaving our guards (Mal is really a guard too) with all the pressure to score each time down the court. This is proven by the discrepancy in points in the paint. In the Duke game we had more balanced scoring with 26 points in the paint or 42% of our total points.(Tyler Roberson & Lydon with 16 of them)

Tonight we only scored 12 points or 18% of our offense in the paint ,only 6 points by our "big men". We took 12 more 3 pointers than UVA and still shot well from there( again over 43%) but only 8 buckets or a putrid 33.3% from inside the arc. We'll have to continue to rely on our guard play, 3 pointers, while praying that our big men develop some consistent offense/defense to help them somehow. The lack of a true point guard or a guard who creates shots for others and easy assists ( we only had 8 vs UVA's 18) heavily contributes to the issue.

We have 4 straight home games and supporting the team, getting them in the win column is crucial.

We only had 12 points in the paint the entire game while Virginia had 30 points in the paint. We and UVA shot overall almost even from 3. (43.3% vs 44.4%). Wow.

Despite UVA out rebounding us by 3, they only scored one more point than us on 2nd chance points.

Our issue is inside, our lack of an intimidating inside presence on defense but mainly no inside offensive threat leaving our guards (Mal is really a guard too) with all the pressure to score each time down the court. This is proven by the discrepancy in points in the paint. In the Duke game we had more balanced scoring with 26 points in the paint or 42% of our total points.(Tyler Roberson & Roberson with 16 of them)

Tonight we only scored 12 points or 18% of our offense in the paint ,only 6 points by our "big men". We took 12 more 3 pointers than UVA and still shot well from there( again over 43%) but only 8 buckets or a putrid 33.3% from inside the arc. We'll have to continue to rely on our guard play, 3 pointers, while praying that our big men develop some consistent offense/defense to help them somehow. The lack of a true point guard or a guard who creates shots for others and easy assists ( we only had 8 vs UVA's 18) heavily contributes to the issue.

We have 4 straight home games and supporting the team, getting them in the win column is crucial.
Agree with all of this, especially the inside presence part.

The zone can be serviceable without a good intimidating shot blocker in the middle (preferably with a one or two more on the baseline) but it isn't going to stop really good offenses from gutting us inside the paint.

Next year, we will have the athletes on the perimeter, the height up top and the big guy inside to be an elite level defense again.

I can't wait.

The zone can be serviceable without a good intimidating shot blocker in the middle (preferably with a one or two more on the baseline) but it isn't going to stop really good offenses from gutting us inside the paint.

Next year, we will have the athletes on the perimeter, the height up top and the big guy inside to be an elite level defense again.

I can't wait.

Next year is the year. Please keep everyone healthy and have them come back :) .

Our issue is inside, our lack of an intimidating inside presence on defense but mainly no inside offensive threat leaving our guards (Mal is really a guard too) with all the pressure to score each time down the court. This is proven by the discrepancy in points in the paint. In the Duke game we had more balanced scoring with 26 points in the paint or 42% of our total points.(Tyler Roberson & Roberson with 16 of them)

Really good post, Cherie. The lack of an interior threat is hurting/killing us on both ends.

actually they outrebounded us by 3, 31-28. we were actually up most of the game until the very end

If we just played a little better the last 5 minutes of the first half I think we would have had a better chance the second half. We all know this team has some issues with matching up with certain teams. However, I still think the game was competitive and our team certainly was capable of beating this team (maybe not at home).

The best thing about the game for me was MR hitting a clutch 3 late in the game. He's really impressing me the last two games.

I can't wait.

I agree about next year. Depth may still be a left over issue from sanctions, recruiting misses etc but thankfully our starters though young will not be playing totally out of position unlike this year.

Any idea of the outlook for tubas next year?

The Perrantes three in the corner was all on Roberson. He got sucked in for no reason and let Perrantes slide to the baseline. Saw that coming before the ball was even shot.

I agree about next year. Depth may still be a left over issue from sanctions, recruiting misses etc but thankfully our starters though young will not be playing totally out of position unlike this year.

Any idea of the outlook for tubas next year?
I asked 3 tuba playing members of the SSS about the low numbers. They, like me, didn't understand it. One shrugged her shoulders and told me, "it just seems like no one wants to play tuba anymore".

It a tuba endowment legal? Could we just start doing $50 handshakes every so often?

I AM JOKING.

Kind of.

I asked 3 tuba playing members of the SSS about the low numbers. They, like me, didn't understand it. One shrugged her shoulders and told me, "it just seems like no one wants to play tuba anymore".

It a tuba endowment legal? Could we just start doing $50 handshakes every so often?

I AM JOKING.

Kind of.

#DOMETUBADUDES

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors