JB with the line of the night... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

JB with the line of the night...

Except one big thing has changed since the Jeremy McNeil days--how a fast break is run. Now, you're more likely to see a pull-up 3 pointer than a drive to the basket. A rim protector doesn't help in those situations.

In last night's game, how many times did you see that and how many times did you see the team go to the basket? If the three point shot meant you couldn't press, then nobody can press ever.

The question is: why can't we press? We have a team full of long-armed athletes and good depth, (even with the two guys out). We can't press because the coach doesn't believe in it and the press he uses is poorly designed. if he needs a shot-blocker to press put Frank in there and tell him just to guard the basket and don't worry about anything else for the last couple of minutes.
I agree with this. With teams taking more and more threes on fast breaks, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have one guy at the back end of a fast break, ready to contest a layup. Also, Boeheim has said that Dolezaj is not a good shot blocker.

In last night's game, how many times did you see that and how many times did you see the team go to the basket? If the three point shot meant you couldn't press, then nobody can press ever.
You can press. But the "rim protector" has less value at a time that everyone takes (and many make) 3-point shots.

No he didn't. He kept him in the game. Watch the second half from the point SU was up 3. .
He took him out of the game. He immediately sent a bench guy to check in after Joe’s heave.

No he didn't. He kept him in the game. Watch the second half from the point SU was up 3. .
You watch again. The coach had already yanked him once in the second half for, among other things, shot selection. You would hope that Girard got the message, but maybe he doesn't take well to coaching.

The question is: why can't we press? We have a team full of long-armed athletes and good depth, (even with the two guys out). We can't press because the coach doesn't believe in it and the press he uses is poorly designed. if he needs a shot-blocker to press put Frank in there and tell him just to guard the basket and don't worry about anything else for the last couple of minutes. .

The two most famous times our press worked - OK. state in the 2003 tournament and Virginia in the 2016 tournament, I remember lots of 2 on 1s for the opponent. They just couldn’t convert. Ok State because McNeil was back there blocking everything, and Virginia just stunk at playing fast.

When getting down on our press, think of the other side...how often does a press bother us? I can’t think of too many times in recent years. Most teams aren’t all that effective at pressing at this level from what I see.

Jim hasn't been himself this season. Hes off his game.
Agree. The one thing about JB is that if your not playing D or taking good shots you get the hook. Cannot understand why he continued to go with JG. He could have used woody or griffin at the two. He could have used all three centers and forced Rutgers to the line and take away the outside shot and penetration into the lane. There were different combinations that would have been more affective. Not like him.

On the press none guards the inbound passer. I really don’t know too much about basketball but I’m surprised he didn’t put a tall player with long arms to make the inbound pass more difficult. Instead JB allowed the inbounder have a free pass inbounds. He also puts only one rebounder in to get a rebound on our free throw attempts. Our free throws very frequently are missed and we forfeit any rebounds. I think that says a lot about his lack of confidence in our rebounding and defense when the opposition gets a rebound. Instead he wants them to get set for the zone that has more openings in it than a screen less front door during mosquito season!

That was the worst press I’ve ever seen. Someone will have to explain to me what QG was even doing
You are the first poster I've seen mention this.

The press last night (I have not watched the replay but I'm pretty certain in what I think I saw) was initially set up as the JB standard 1-2-1-1 zone press. Rutgers knew this coming and set a press break to move move most of their guys to the front court. JB countered this by playing the zone hot - they ran a man press/deny on the inbounds pass. QG turned around from the man throwing the ball in so that he could watch the action of the press break and pick up a free runner or immediately double. That's why it looked strange, but QG was playing it correctly.

It was actually a great move by JB - and I was stunned to see the variation. The problem is that nobody seemed quite sure how to move from the man/press deny to zone trap rotations. I looked like they hadn't practice it much.

The press last night (I have not watched the replay but I'm pretty certain in what I think I saw) was initially set up as the JB standard 1-2-1-1 zone press. Rutgers knew this coming and set a press break to move move most of their guys to the front court. JB countered this by playing the zone hot - they ran a man press/deny on the inbounds pass. QG turned around from the man throwing the ball in so that he could watch the action of the press break and pick up a free runner or immediately double. That's why it looked strange, but QG was playing it correctly.

It was actually a great move by JB - and I was stunned to see the variation. The problem is that nobody seemed quite sure how to move from the man/press deny to zone trap rotations. I looked like they hadn't practice it much.
Yeah but his reaction time was terrible. They couldn’t even block the first touch. Like you said it looked like they never practiced. A team like this should be able to press

Reactions: 007

In their press they have no designed rotations. They automatically double the first pass if it's a good situation or not. They flat go out for steals and have no concept of keeping the ball in front of them. They don't press well because they are not coached well in pressing.

Reactions: 007
Yeah but his reaction time was terrible. They couldn’t even block the first touch. Like you said it looked like they never practiced. A team like this should be able to press
Not with Joe on the floor

When getting down on our press, think of the other side...how often does a press bother us? I can’t think of too many times in recent years. Most teams aren’t all that effective at pressing at this level from what I see.
There have been plenty of times that a press slowed us down getting into our sets... which is really what a press is supposed to do. JB's hail mary mentality makes no sense.

There have been plenty of times that a press slowed us down getting into our sets... which is really what a press is supposed to do. JB's hail mary mentality makes no sense.

It depends on what you’re trying to do with it.

JB typically uses it when we’re behind and he wants to gamble on getting some steals and also wants to speed the game up. So he uses the 1-2-1-1. It makes perfect sense if you’re trying to increase pace and possessions.

The type of pressing you’re talking about, Boeheim has almost never done in my memory. He briefly experimented with a 2-2-1 press a year or two ago(and had Pitino come to practice), but that’s all I can recall.

In their press they have no designed rotations. They automatically double the first pass if it's a good situation or not. They flat go out for steals and have no concept of keeping the ball in front of them. They don't press well because they are not coached well in pressing.
Yeah, we have had many discussions about this my friend. They sell out to make that first trap or steal. The secondary rotations out of that first trap are better this year, but the fundamentals suck. The reaction from that point on is...terrible.

Last night was different in that they tried something different at least. The front of that press was an attempt at a man/deny into a zone press. I would love to see JB try the 2-2-1 press at 3/4 court. Perfect fit with the 2-3 zone.
I think it's mostly BS when I hear this team can't press; this team can't play man. We did it all the time with far less talent.

They could definitely press. But that takes a full commitment to coaching and practicing the press and using it every game, even if they only use it for spurts here and there. You have to do it, and keep doing it, to be good at it. Just like learning the 2-3.

i think Kadary, Woody, Quincy braswell griffin marek and frrank could be good in a press...

there's enough LONG and quick athletes on the roster for a great press...

but that would also mean different playing time patterns...you'd have to sub out some "starters"...the starting unit as a whole is not good for pressing, imo. terrible for it, actually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom