JB's Presser after Carleton | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Presser after Carleton

Great! Then they should get paid what the market wants to pay them.
I was replying to a comment someone made about how the NCAA is so dirty based on how much their employees are paid. It's a separate topic from how athletes are to be compensated.

Then let them like any other college student, pay taxes on their income just like any other student on academic scholarship and the students helping to finance their own educational expenses by working too. Remember also that many athletes get additional money already from Pell grants and other financial aid for expenses available to all students if eligible and thus earning money will affect their eligibility for it just like every other student.

Sure! Why not?

you know, kids don’t have to go to college to play sports. In fact they could go into modeling or something similar.

Right and old ball players don’t have to coach college basketball either. They could be gym teachers or something similar.

Right and old ball players don’t have to coach college basketball either. They could be gym teachers or something similar.

One has nothing to do with the other. LOL.

angif-move-the-goalposts-def.gif

Kind of feel like most of the arguments here against just boil down to “this would be bad for SU”.

I mean...just say that then. Probably is.
I agree to some extent, but I think that oversimplifies the issues. I do think the proposed rule could put SU at a disadvantage relative to D1 schools whose boosters have deeper pockets.

We think it's a big deal when someone like Carmelo Anthony gives the University $3 million to help finance a practice facility. But according to Wikipedia, T. Boone Pickens gave Oklahoma State total contributions of more than $1 billion during his lifetime, with over $265 million going to athletic programs. Would boosters like him shell out big bucks for the advertising use of a player or recruit's likeness to help their school land top 25 recruits? Why wouldn't they, if it is legal?

But I also think that the proposal would take college sports even farther in the wrong direction, away from the amateurism model and toward one where competition is less fair and balanced, and less enjoyable to watch. I realize that this is happening to some extent already, but why make it worse?

I agree to some extent, but I think that oversimplifies the issues. I do think the proposed rule could put SU at a disadvantage relative to D1 schools whose boosters have deeper pockets.

We think it's a big deal when someone like Carmelo Anthony gives the University $3 million to help finance a practice facility. But according to Wikipedia, T. Boone Pickens gave Oklahoma State total contributions of more than $1 billion during his lifetime, with over $265 million going to athletic programs. Would boosters like him shell out big bucks for the advertising use of a player or recruit's likeness to help their school land top 25 recruits? Why wouldn't they, if it is legal?

But I also think that the proposal would take college sports even farther in the wrong direction, away from the amateurism model and toward one where competition is less fair and balanced, and less enjoyable to watch. I realize that this is happening to some extent already, but why make it worse?

Exactly correct. Except for one point.

I believe that the major networks and the majority of sports fans would be perfectly happy to see a much smaller NCAA field in both football and basketball. The size of the NFL or the NBA might be ideal.

But 50 or 60 teams might be great too, from their perspective.

This would make individual games more meaningful. There would be more drama and larger audiences. You would see more inter-conference games in the regular season (e.g. Ohio State vs. Alabama)

What does the National press cover? Look at the paper. It's the "Top 25".

Do you think what has happened to UConn sports is fair and balanced?

Do you think playing in the AAC is less enjoyable for them to watch?

The right direction is allowing the players to make money for their likeness, period.

Fair has never been a reality in college athletics in the last 50 years.

Kind of feel like most of the arguments here against just boil down to “this would be bad for SU”.

I mean...just say that then. Probably is.
i think it will be bad for syracuse . . .because it will prove to be bad for college basketball in general

The right direction is allowing the players to make money for their likeness, period.

Do you think that the right direction is also to do away with athletic scholarships and cost of attendance and food stipend? It’s money not available to the regular student. Can’t have it both ways.

A scholarship is a waving of a fee. It is not money and has no value, but because you cannot monetize it. There is no secondary market, if a player goes pro after one year he or she cannot sell the 3 remaining years of their scholarship. However the tickets to the games in which all pay to enjoy the fruits of the athletes labor do have value. There is a secondary market in which we can monetize the tickets and make a very nice margin doing so.

Last edited:
Do you think that the right direction is also to do away with athletic scholarships and cost of attendance and food stipend? It’s money not available to the regular student. Can’t have it both ways.

I would assume schools that do away with athletic scholarships won’t do very well in the recruiting process for a certain level of player. But they should do it if they feel getting that theoretical money lost back is worth the difference in having a less than successful athletic program

I would assume schools that do away with athletic scholarships won’t do very well in the recruiting process for a certain level of player. But they should do it if they feel getting that theoretical money lost back is worth the difference in having a less than successful athletic program

All schools. Should be part of the NCAA roll out. Remember, the goal is to make the athlete and the non athlete equal. Can’t have it both ways.

A scholarship is a waving of a fee. It is not money and has no value, but because you cannot monetize it. There is no secondary market, if a player goes pro after one year he or she cannot sell the 3 remaining years of their scholarship. However the tickets to the games in which all pay to enjoy the fruits of the athletes labor do have value. There is a secondary market in which we can monetize the tickets and make a very nice margin doing so.

a scholarship has value to the person receiving it.

All schools. Should be part of the NCAA roll out. Remember, the goal is to make the athlete and the non athlete equal. Can’t have it both ways.

If that’s what the NCAA thinks is the right thing to do for the TV deals and it’s the right way to maximize the money involved here...go for it. I would disagree as I think you want to get the best players possible.

You guys think you’re dropping a lot of gotcha but don’t seem to understand that the whole point of this is so players can make what they are worth to this operation. If they aren’t worth anything, then so be it.

a scholarship has value to the person receiving it.
No. A degree has a value to the person receiving it because the person can use it to market themselves and enter the industry of their choice, but if that industry is basketball than the degree is of little to no value.

No. A degree has a value to the person receiving it because the person can use it to market themselves and enter the industry of their choice, but if that industry is basketball than the degree is of little to no value.

I didn’t say degree. A $65k scholarship is $65k less a student has to pay.

If that’s what the NCAA thinks is the right thing to do for the TV deals and it’s the right way to maximize the money involved here...go for it. I would disagree as I think you want to get the best players possible.

You guys think you’re dropping a lot of gotcha but don’t seem to understand that the whole point of this is so players can make what they are worth to this operation. If they aren’t worth anything, then so be it.

So you’re off the argument that since a regular student can be paid for their likeness an athlete should be too.

I didn’t say degree. A $65k scholarship is $65k less a student has to pay.
No. A scholarship is a waving of a fee to incentivize an athlete to play for a school. By the way when there are 30 thousand plus people in the dome 65k is a little over $2.00/ person so it is a great incentive for the University.

So you’re off the argument that since a regular student can be paid for their likeness an athlete should be too.

Not at all...That’s one component of the argument. Ultimately what’s important is that they are able to make what they are worth...just like a non sports participating student is able to.

Great! Then they should get paid what the market wants to pay them.
The issue for me, logically, is that it is not a real value based upon a commercial market. If coach K's buddy that underwrites much of Dukes stuff could sign Tom Hanks or Zion as a spokesperson, he would sign Zion:. not because of potential sales for his company, but because of the primary benefit of helping Duke win games. Sales would be a secondary benefit. That's why it's not a true market price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom