JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. If The pecking order is still the same and HOP says no and GMAC vaults RED consider that my last SU game as a fan. He’s a tremendous recruiter and will be a great game day coach
What if Gmac ended up being very successful? Would you reconsider your fandom?

IMHO...I think JBs influence on who his successor will be is overrated because I think JB steps down mid-season or late summer forcing Wildhack to give one of his assistants an audition.

after that audition, it’s all Wildhack.

FWIW I think there are some (not fans) who think, with seasoning, GMAC has a high ceiling as a HC...as long as he hires top notch recruiters as assistants.

IMHO...I think JBs influence on who his successor will be is overrated because I think JB steps down mid-season or late summer forcing Wildhack to give one of his assistants an audition.

FWIW I think there are some (not fans) who think, with seasoning, GMAC has a high ceiling as a HC...as long as he hires top notch recruiters as assistants.
Yes, and abruptly retiring in such a fashion thereby forcing JW’s hand *is* exerting big influence

maybe he’s itchin to jump when a feasible opening pops up within next couple yrs?
Note I conditioned my response on pecking order being the same. I think Gmac will be a damn good coach and likely here. But if he vaults Red all things being equal that’s just wrong

That would sabotaging his assistant.
Any coach wants his own team to mold how he wants them to play, not take over mid year and no time to teach your style.No way JB would want that.

Where does the assumption that Autry is ahead of McNamara in the pecking order come from? Is there something more than the "Associate" tag?

Where does the assumption that Autry is ahead of McNamara in the pecking order come from? Is there something more than the "Associate" tag?
The "associate" tag says it all.

lol the only one?
I agree going w Gmac would be a mistake but there could be any number of worse scenarios
GMac is the only one because of the disrespect to Autry.
If we hire anyone outside I won’t be upset at all.
If it’s internal it better be Autry.
GMac over Autry loses me.

If you need everyone else to be great in support of you so you can be good, it’s the wrong decision because you aren’t the right choice.

The pretzel that people will twist themselves into to make GMac the best candidate Is pretty extensive.

Obviously not saying you, Jake. Appreciate your info and tidbits, as always.

That would sabotaging his assistant.
Any coach wants his own team to mold how he wants them to play, not take over mid year and no time to teach your style.No way JB would want that.
Bobby Knight did that to get his son the Texas Tech job.
Calhoun retired a month before the season to get Ollie the UCONN job.
Dean Smith did it to get Bill Guthridge the UNC job.

JB could easily do it and if JB does that then Autry should be the guy to get the chance.

Bobby Knight did that to get his son the Texas Tech job.
Calhoun retired a month before the season to get Ollie the UCONN job.
Dean Smith did it to get Bill Guthridge the UNC job.

JB could easily do it and if JB does that then Autry should be the guy to get the chance.
It, for the most part, failed in each instance. Ollie won a National Championship, but everything fell apart from there. The other two were disasters. The best, in my opinion, is to let the AD do his job.

Greg Paulus was an assistant at Navy, Ohio State, Louisville, George Washington and lucked his way into the Niagara job but he has a chance to show what he is as a HC.
GMac isn’t going to get better than a MAAC HC to start off. So he needs to find one and show what type of HC he can be.

If he showed he could have just a winning season at a MAAC level school that would be enough IMO.

Which is why Hopkins has shown enough at Washington even if he is struggling now that the fanbase should be happy with him.

I don’t disagree. Just think it’s too risky a narrative to accept for a national brand. Willard would never be in consideration, the guys a walking pending violation.
The people who use potential violations as an excuse seem to forget our history

Based on what?
Well fans don’t see the work (outside of recruiting) that assistants do. The film breakdown, organizing practices, the work with the players etc. so it’s just as easy to turn it around and say how do fans know he won’t be? To be clear recruiting is probably the most important part of a program, but it can be done outside of the HC.

hey, I’m not advocating for GMAC at all, I’m just saying some smart basketball people think he will be a better head coach than assistant.

Yes, and abruptly retiring in such a fashion thereby forcing JW’s hand *is* exerting big influence
It really isn't. It certainly benefits Red tremendously, especially if a requirement for the job is having had some head coaching experience. It's a solid to Red. But that is really all. JW will certainly take the data from Reds half season but that is in no way a big influence. JW will still do what he feels his process needs to be. He will certainly bounce ideas off Jim to get his thoughts.
Its interesting and not saying you are doing it Pearl but it seems like there are people here that are defensive about JB some how not being important enough to make the future coach decision and that just seems strange. Jim knows he is the coach. He knows his role. He knows JW is the AD. I am sure Jim will be happy to provide inputs and thoughts about candidates but a coach, does not call the shots on the next coach and I don't think Jim is offended by that at all.

The "associate" tag says it all.

Bernie Fine was the "associate" head coach when Hopkins was named JB's "successor" in 2007.

Gerry's been with the program as a coach for as long as Autry. Autry had no prior coaching experience before coming home to SU. McNamara is the far more decorated and accomplished Orangeman.

I dont have anything against Red. I'm just not sure he is ahead in the pecking order the way some here assume he is, or that he should be.

Bernie Fine was the "associate" head coach when Hopkins was named JB's "successor" in 2007.

Gerry's been with the program as a coach for as long as Autry. Autry had no prior coaching experience before coming home to SU. McNamara is the far more decorated and accomplished Orangeman.

I dont have anything against Red. I'm just not sure he is ahead in the pecking order the way some here assume he is, or that he should be.
Wasn't Red a coach at the AAU level and at Virginia Tech prior to coming here?

Willard tampered with Thompson. He got suspended and NCAA sanctions for it.
No chance Syracuse will hire him after that.
We should send Willard a gift for taking him off our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom