JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernie Fine was the "associate" head coach when Hopkins was named JB's "successor" in 2007.

Gerry's been with the program as a coach for as long as Autry. Autry had no prior coaching experience before coming home to SU. McNamara is the far more decorated and accomplished Orangeman.

I dont have anything against Red. I'm just not sure he is ahead in the pecking order the way some here assume he is, or that he should be.

WTAF???

Red has waaaay more coaching experience than GMac.

What do you think he was doing the whole time Gerry was in middle and high school?

I get it - Gerry is the spunky white kid, so of course that means he’s HC material.

Even if Red AND Griff are actually waaay more qualified and experienced.

Bernie Fine was the "associate" head coach when Hopkins was named JB's "successor" in 2007.

Gerry's been with the program as a coach for as long as Autry. Autry had no prior coaching experience before coming home to SU. McNamara is the far more decorated and accomplished Orangeman.

I dont have anything against Red. I'm just not sure he is ahead in the pecking order the way some here assume he is, or that he should be.
Mike Hopkins had been offered HC jobs and had actual leverage.
SU giving Hop the HCIW title made sense.
Fine tried to get the FAU job and they wouldn’t hire him.

GMac has no business being in the same discussion as Hopkins.
As an assistant Hopkins was killing it on the recruiting trail.
GMac has done fine but he isnt the assistant coach Hop was when Hop got the HCIW title.

Autry:
2006–2007 Bishop Ireton HS (associate HC)
2007–2008 Paul VI HS (assistant)
2008–2010 Virginia Tech (director of basketball ops.)
2010–2011 Virginia Tech (assistant)
2011–2016 Syracuse (assistant)
2016–present Syracuse (associate HC)

GMac:
2009–2011 Syracuse (grad mgr.)
2011–present Syracuse (assistant)

Autry:

GMac:
Thank you, I am too drunk to look up the facts.

Autry:

GMac:

Thanks for laying that out. So Autry had one year as an Assistant with Seth Greenberg at Va Tech before coming to SU. I also recall he was tied-in to a very prominent AAU program in the DC area (DC Assault maybe?) and that was part of his allure.

Red was a good hire for sure. I would certainly have no problem supporting him if he were to be the next Head Coach. I just think the narrative some are pumping that he is vastly more accomplished than McNamara is off.

To Jake’s point, I think one of the balances we’re struggling with in the thought processes around the next coach, especially internally is recruiting and coaching.

Red’s obviously a very good recruiter who has shown he can identify talent well. Recruiting success and X’s and O’s success doesn’t necessarily equate. How often have some of these top notch recruiter assistants gotten a HC job and couldn’t hack it on the actual coaching side? Or these snake oil salesmen that constantly get HC jobs because they can recruit (some with $$$)?

Gerry doesn’t have the success/track record on the recruiting trail like Red does, but if the Xs and Os are there, he might be just as strong a candidate.

To Jake’s point, I think one of the balances we’re struggling with in the thought processes around the next coach, especially internally is recruiting and coaching.

Red’s obviously a very good recruiter who has shown he can identify talent well. Recruiting success and X’s and O’s success doesn’t necessarily equate. How often have some of these top notch recruiter assistants gotten a HC job and couldn’t hack it on the actual coaching side? Or these snake oil salesmen that constantly get HC jobs because they can recruit (some with $$$)?

Gerry doesn’t have the success/track record on the recruiting trail like Red does, but if the Xs and Os are there, he might be just as strong a candidate.
How can an assistant coach show their Xs and Os?
If he took a HC job at another school he could show it but I don’t think he can show it here.
It’s not like we draw up TO plays that work or have out of bounds plays designed by GMac.
The in-game is being done by JB.

It really isn't. It certainly benefits Red tremendously, especially if a requirement for the job is having had some head coaching experience. It's a solid to Red. But that is really all. JW will certainly take the data from Reds half season but that is in no way a big influence. JW will still do what he feels his process needs to be. He will certainly bounce ideas off Jim to get his thoughts.
Its interesting and not saying you are doing it Pearl but it seems like there are people here that are defensive about JB some how not being important enough to make the future coach decision and that just seems strange. Jim knows he is the coach. He knows his role. He knows JW is the AD. I am sure Jim will be happy to provide inputs and thoughts about candidates but a coach, does not call the shots on the next coach and I don't think Jim is offended by that at all.
Good post, and I generally agree. However, the part I've bolded in your post I have to disagree with. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, and I won't rehash what I've already said in a few other posts in this thread, but it's just being a tad naive to portray a coach of JB stature in a situation like this as simply acquiescing to the AD and "staying in his lane." Frankly, that's just not going to happen if it becomes apparent to JB that either his preference won't be honored or if the preference of the AD isn't to his liking.

You don’t think anybody would want Tony Bennett? His tempo isn’t exactly the Showtime Lakers. Can’t see him leaving UVA, but I’d back up the Brinks truck for that guy.
Hey Just who r u,
Tony Bennett Huh? Cavalier fan in disguise? Where you been before December 7th? Why did pace of play get you so riled up? The BIG Ten plays basketball to try to compete with Izzo. He's totally dominated that league since before you were born and its boring. I'd rather have a coach who goes up and down the court. Got it? But you are right Virginia isn't Loyola Marymount. More like the Hickory Huskers with Norman Dale. I'd rather watch any game on TV before Wisconsin play Virginia.

If he took a HC job at another school he could show it but I don’t think he can show it here.
It’s not like we draw up TO plays that work or have out of bounds plays designed by GMac.
playing devil's advocate here a bit, and to piggyback on what Elwood and shrmdoug are saying (and using your own reasoning, too) - why then would Red necessarily be a stronger in-game/X-O coach than gmac? He too lacks HC experience. As posited above, what if gmac made sure to get stud recruiter(s) on his staff?

G
Hey Just who r u,
Tony Bennett Huh? Cavalier fan in disguise? Where you been before December 7th? Why did pace of play get you so riled up? The BIG Ten plays basketball to try to compete with Izzo. He's totally dominated that league since before you were born and its boring. I'd rather have a coach who goes up and down the court. Got it? But you are right Virginia isn't Loyola Marymount. More like the Hickory Huskers with Norman Dale. I'd rather watch any game on TV before Wisconsin play Virginia.
I was at Manley when Marty Byrnes and the Orange beat Jud Heathcoat’s Spartans,think that’s long before Izzo has been dominating the Big 10.
Would love to see up and down b-ball, but much rather see a winning team than a team leading the nation in scoring.

In practice, speaking and teaching at clinics, analyzing and breaking down film, scouting, talking with other coaches, networking at conventions, during job interviews. Of course, the average fan can not see this nor is there real world on the court evidence. From what I know, Gmac is already regarded as an Xs and Os coach.

It comes down to two issues: recruiting and coaching. Boeheim was a great recruiter from day one, but he received a lot of criticism as an x's and o's guy at the beginning and for quite a few years. He was still getting a lot of criticism in the late 80's. He became a coaching guru as the years went on.

Hopkins is an elite recruiter.
Red is a very good recruiter, and is our best recruiter. Almost every top player we have had the several years were recruited by Hopkins or Red.
GMac has not shown any real ability to recruit at a high level. That is just a criticism, but a fact. I think Sidibhe has been his top recruit.
In fact, Alan Griffin as already surpassed GMac as a recruiter (see Woody Newton and Kadary Richmond)

At the end of the day, if you cant recruit at a high level, it is hard to win in the ACC. The coaching on the court is important, but getting the talent is most important. Id rather have the talent, and give the coach the time to get better on the court.

If you stay in the Cuse family. it is Hop or Red. And that is really it.

This is trash. You must think Boeheim is racist too then. Disgraceful.
It is trash to believe that race is not an issue.

'It's heartbreaking': Black head coaches rare at top tier of college basketball

“The majority of Division I assistants and scholarship players are black, but there's a drop when it comes to men leading the programs”

“Of the 75 programs in college basketball’s six major conferences, only 14 have a black head coach (18.7%). If the count is limited to the so-called Power Five leagues, eliminating the Big East and its five black head coaches, that number dips to 13.8%. The percentage of black head coaches in those six conferences is lower now than it was during the 1996-97 season, when Capel was a senior at Duke University.”

“Across all of Division I men’s basketball (353 schools), 29.2% of head coaches are black. It’s a much higher percentage than it is in the major conferences, but when coaches at black colleges and universities (HBCUs) are removed from the equation, that number falls to 24.1%.”

“It’s not as if the low number of black head coaches is the product of a shallow talent pool, either. At Division I programs, 50.1% of assistant coaches are black, and even when assistants from HBCUs aren’t included, that number is still at 47.6%.”

Good post, and I generally agree. However, the part I've bolded in your post I have to disagree with. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, and I won't rehash what I've already said in a few other posts in this thread, but it's just being a tad naive to portray a coach of JB stature in a situation like this as simply acquiescing to the AD and "staying in his lane." Frankly, that's just not going to happen if it becomes apparent to JB that either his preference won't be honored or if the preference of the AD isn't to his liking.
Jim would still be playing in Manley.
Hop or Red will be the next coach. My guess is Red. He will get 3 years to prove hes the guy. Red maintains JBs guys, keeps all recruiting connections, donor's, fans, past players and fans. He is a solid safe choice for Wild.
If he fails Wild gets a free pass to go outside Jims circle.
If However Wild goes outside the family and passes over Hop and Red he risk destroying 50 years of a foundation.
Wild is way to smart. He will keep it in the family. Its Hop or Red.

It, for the most part, failed in each instance. Ollie won a National Championship, but everything fell apart from there. The other two were disasters. The best, in my opinion, is to let the AD do his job.

Guthridge went to 2 final fours in 3 years

In practice, speaking and teaching at clinics, analyzing and breaking down film, scouting, talking with other coaches, networking at conventions, during job interviews. Of course, the average fan can not see this nor is there real world on the court evidence. From what I know, Gmac is already regarded as an Xs and Os coach.
Shouldn’t he be a candidate for a lower level D-1 HC job then?
Those are the factors that make a good HC:
From what we have seen GMac wanted the Siena job and they didn’t even give him an interview.

Xs and Os coaches to me are ones that develop players and make their players better and prepared for the opponents strengths and negatives.

Autry is the lead assistant thus you would think he has more responsibilities.
When Mike Hopkins left JB didn’t have to make AA the associate HC. He did.

Even though I want Cuse to go outside the Boeheim circle to replace him, I can handle Autry following him. If that happens it will be interesting to see if he retains Griff and Gmac.

It is trash to believe that race is not an issue.
'It's heartbreaking': Black head coaches rare at top tier of college basketball

“The majority of Division I assistants and scholarship players are black, but there's a drop when it comes to men leading the programs”

“Of the 75 programs in college basketball’s six major conferences, only 14 have a black head coach (18.7%). If the count is limited to the so-called Power Five leagues, eliminating the Big East and its five black head coaches, that number dips to 13.8%. The percentage of black head coaches in those six conferences is lower now than it was during the 1996-97 season, when Capel was a senior at Duke University.”

“Across all of Division I men’s basketball (353 schools), 29.2% of head coaches are black. It’s a much higher percentage than it is in the major conferences, but when coaches at black colleges and universities (HBCUs) are removed from the equation, that number falls to 24.1%.”

“It’s not as if the low number of black head coaches is the product of a shallow talent pool, either. At Division I programs, 50.1% of assistant coaches are black, and even when assistants from HBCUs aren’t included, that number is still at 47.6%.”

Boy did you move the goal posts, and the virtue signaling here is top notch. You should start a new thread about how minorities are underrepresented as head coaches in major conferences. It's a worthwhile topic.

But we are talking about Boeheim's potential successor (which is stupid in-of-itself since JB isnt going anywhere while Buddy is still playing here). What does what you posted above, have to do with the SU athletic department? SU has black football and women's basketball coaches. It just had a black AD. Are you assuming that Wildack, JB, the Board of Trustees, etc., are simply going to prefer a white candidate because?

There is not a single post in this thread trumpeting McNamara over all others, and certainly not one denigrating Autry, or any other potential black candidate. For someone to insinuate that McNamara is a candidate because he is "scrappy and white" is cheap, is race-bating, and was completely out of place in this thread, and in response to the post. Being called a racist is offensive to me.

Last edited:
IMHO...I think JBs influence on who his successor will be is overrated because I think JB steps down mid-season or late summer forcing Wildhack to give one of his assistants an audition.

after that audition, it’s all Wildhack.

FWIW I think there are some (not fans) who think, with seasoning, GMAC has a high ceiling as a HC...as long as he hires top notch recruiters as assistants.

If Boeheim does that, wouldn't the players also have a say? That's usually how it has worked out at other schools. Even with Pasqualoni, the players' endorsement put him over the top of people like Edsall.

Guthridge went to 2 final fours in 3 years
True, his first year they were still loaded. His third and last year they barely got in the tournament and had a good run. I believe most considered him a good man, but in over his head. Disastrous might be too extreme, but even with two final fours, as crazy as it seems, it was quite a drop off for UNC.

Even though I want Cuse to go outside the Boeheim circle to replace him, I can handle Autry following him. If that happens it will be interesting to see if he retains Griff and Gmac.
100% he retains Gmac who becomes associate HC and Griff. I also think he hires Devo.
Its going to stay as it should in the family. You dont knock down a fifty year institution. Especially when recruiting is on the upswing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom