JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate head coach is only a title. It means nothing when determining the next coach. Where’s Hop? Experience is nice but it’s not the end all. Sometimes coaches have insights to see things happening on the floor before they do. Maybe GMAC sees things that Red doesn’t. Maybe he can teach better, etc. I know watching games, GMAC is very into the game and he gets gets pretty fired up when he doesn’t like something. Some coaches just have it, just like players. I’m not saying GMAC has “it”, but who’s to say he doesn’t?
If GMAC has it, perhaps another school will see it and give him the opportunity to prove it.

And it's the 100% correct opinion.

If I was Wildhack and JB offered his opinion on successors I will tell him to shut up and stay in his lane in the most polite and tactful way humanly possible. Unless JB wants in-game advice from Wildhack on playing man vs. zone.
lol.
again- I don't pretend to have inside info and am not trying to cast doubt on anyone who might, but...
you're simply deluding yourselves if you think JB doesn't hold much of the power in how this plays out - whether by overt, public "this is how it is and how it's going to go" or more "quiet" manipulation a la Calhoun/Ryan/Smith (i.e. staying "in power" until the last minute and abruptly retiring so as to make an AD's plans/desires moot). that's how this works, especially with this coach

I'd put money on it that Duke and UNC are going to hire alums as well to replace K and Roy at least to start. Kansas will go outside the family, but at certain schools the alums are going to dictate who is hired.

You are probably right about Duke and UNC. Kansas has never really been in the family except for Phog Allen. Ted Owens, Larry Brown, Roy Williams, Bill Self - none are alums. So it's no big deal for them.

Autry is the top assistant.
GMac isn’t.
Just because GMac is more emotional doesn’t mean anything.
Associate HC comes with more responsibility.
Hopkins ran practices as AHC. If JB ever missed a game or was ejected Autry would be HC.

GMac belongs nowhere near the SU HC. I am glad and relieved JW apparently said no to him being HCIW. His hiring as the next HC is the only candidate I would actively not want any part of. He hasn’t shown this fanbase we should feel confident in his abilities as a HC.
Be prepared to be disappointed. He will be the successor.

lol.
again- I don't pretend to have inside info and am not trying to cast doubt on anyone who might, but...
you're simply deluding yourselves if you think JB doesn't hold much of the power in how this plays out - whether by overt, public "this is how it is and how it's going to go" or more "quiet" manipulation a la Calhoun/Ryan/Smith (i.e. staying "in power" until the last minute and abruptly retiring so as to make an AD's plans/desires moot). that's how this works, especially with this coach

It's not even the coach. I used to chat with a former player that went to my gym regularly, started on some of most successful teams ever in the past 15 years, and he said the Coleman to Etan era are going to have a big influence on who ends up being the coach. And this was 4-5 years ago.

Athletic Director is a powerful position, especially at a p5 school.
But in certain instances there is a collective power greater than the position.

In what universe does Chekov get promoted to Captain before Sulu does?

Autry is #1 Assistant.
GMac is #2 Assistant.
Griff is #3 Assistant.

Unless Hop returns from the Left Coast, or Wildhack goes outside the Federation, Autry will be offered the conn next.

And it's the 100% correct opinion.

If I was Wildhack and JB offered his opinion on successors I will tell him to shut up and stay in his lane in the most polite and tactful way humanly possible. Unless JB wants in-game advice from Wildhack on playing man vs. zone.

Why would you want the opinion of a man who has run the program for 45 plus years and has been in it for over 50 years. Assuming he's not senile that's EXACTLY the guy I want an opinion from on how to sustain the program.

JW is a smart guy. He will understand that his greatest resource is the bespeckled/nerdy looking guy who has coached this team for decades. Lean on experience and knowledge and figure out what makes sense.

If GMAC is the guy, I have no doubt it's because he's the best guy. Just if Red or Mike is the guy. Not sure why Boeheim would want to burn it to the ground with some agenda laden selection based on zero intel other than "hey i like that guy".

If Gross had done 1% of this when Pasqualoni was fired, we'd be in a much better situation in football. We had a two coaches from 1980-2004 who ran the program to its most consistent period. Gross decided to listen to no one and hire someone who made zero sense. If he maybe consulted w Mac we would have never become a top 10 worst D1 football program.

Autry is #1 Assistant.
GMac is #2 Assistant.
Griff is #3 Assistant.

Unless Hop returns from the Left Coast, or Wildhack goes outside the Federation, Autry will be offered the conn next.
in the universe where sulu gets shipped out for command of the excelsior

in the universe where sulu gets shipped out for command of the excelsior
which could very well be JB's rationale for trying to make gmac CIW for all we know

Again, unsubstantiated.

Would your opinion change if I told you that JB approached JW with a proposal to make GMac [not Red, btw] the next head coach in waiting, and was politely declined?

JB might have influence, but he isn't going to hand pick the next coach the way some people are asserting, and he isn't driving this process. JW will.
If JB did that Red should have left immediately.

There’s likely going to be a few jobs opening up after the season that might be interested in a few of the assistants.
  • Manhattan - heard mid-way through last year that they were ready to move on from Masiello, but decided to keep him because of COVID uncertainty. Red could be a good candidate there because of his City roots. It’s not a bad job, but it’s not a good job either.
  • Fordham - this one is definitely opening up after their coach’s contract expires at the end of the year. This place is a mess and just got a new AD who will want to make a splash. Red might get considered, but no top assistant is going to take that job. Mike Rice might resurface there as a way to get back into CBB.
  • Binghamton - the program has really struggled in recent years after looking like it was turning a corner. Decent location for someone who can steal a recruit here or there. I think it would be an interesting spot for Gerry because of its proximity to Syracuse, Scranton and NYC.
  • Iona - if Slick Rick moves on to bigger and better things after the season, this may open up. It would be a really nice, win quick spot for Red, who could really do some great things recruiting there. Iona has no problem with JUCOs or ex-felons suiting up, so 4-year kids would be a huge step up.
  • Bucknell - they were down a little bit last year, but Davis has a really strong coaching record and another good season could have him become a candidate for a few mid-major gigs. This would be another interesting opportunity for Gerry, but in an academic conference like the patriot league, getting impact recruits might be a tough sell.
It will be interesting to see if one of the assistants takes the risk to try to steer their own team after Hop’s experience. There could be some good opportunities to get HC experience.

Binghamton made a ton of sense for GMAC about two years ago. However the question remains is how long does Jim expect to stay?

I know he played for Roy at Kansas but he's not a Carolina guy. It could be Hubert but I still think they go biggest name they can get. Perhaps take a run at Few or Jay Wright.
Few ain’t leaving the Zags.Guy loves it
the one thing is that few has a strong personal relationship with jb. i agree he'll never leave, but i think he'll take the call - especially if jb made it himself
Few absolutely loves his lifestyle out there and he is not leaving for upstate NY. I guess a school like Kentucky who would give him what ever his price is might have a slim chance, but no way would he come to the Cuse.

Agree - except it depends on how much he had to do with Skip Bayless being employed at ESPN for over a decade. Then my opinion might change.
Well Wildhack and Stephen A. Smith are tight so you gotta believe he and Skip were friendly.
Skip only left because Fox overpaid hI’m.

Why would you want the opinion of a man who has run the program for 45 plus years and has been in it for over 50 years.

For the same reason I wouldn’t want someone who was a great AD for 45 years to come down to the huddle and draw up the Xs and Os for the last shot of a game. That's not their skill set and that's not what they were hired to do.

lol.

To confirm, I'm not saying what I think will happen (I have zero insider info and I'm not a psychic), I'm simply offering my opinion as to how an organization should be properly run.

I'm generally of the belief that once a personality becomes bigger than the institution itself (in sports, business, government, etc.), that person is now a net-negative and should go.

To confirm, I'm not saying what I think will happen (I have zero insider info and I'm not a psychic), I'm simply offering my opinion as to how an organization should be properly run.

I'm generally of the belief that once a personality becomes bigger than the institution itself (in sports, business, government, etc.), that person is now a net-negative and should go.
I hear ya, sorry if it came off as saying that's what you're claiming *will* happen-
reality of huge college sports, esp hoops where the coaches really are the personalities/faces of the programs, for better or worse

Autry is #1 Assistant.
GMac is #2 Assistant.
Griff is #3 Assistant.

Why wouldn't Hop be the next HC ? The Washington program is on a downward spiral and no incoming recruits on the horizon and the recruiting well at Washington has dried up overall. Either he will be fired by the time JB steps aside or he will leave on his own to come back home to Syracuse. There is no doubt he will get the first call and based on his current circumstances at Washington will say Yes.

Binghamton made a ton of sense for GMAC about two years ago. However the question remains is how long does Jim expect to stay?
Great question. If his last year is 2023, does Gerry take a job elsewhere for two years?

I think if you see Red take a head scratching job then that’s the writing on the wall.

If Red gets the gig (and Dino survives until then) having black head coaches in football and M/W basketball would be something to be proud of.

Just so my words aren’t twisted: NOT saying that should have an influence on the decision just that it’s something I would brag about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom