JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast) | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

JB's Successor Candidates (Goodman Podcast)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 144%.
JB will have some input, but JW will make the final decision.
JW is JB’s boss. Period.

Now, JB can somewhat force Wildhack’s hand via the timing of his retirement, which could prompt one of the current staff (spoiler - Red, NOT GMac) to be “interim HC”, which effectively gives him a chance to earn the job via performance that season.

JW is smart and savvy.
He’s likely already got his own shortlist of potential targets in mind, and will almost certainly do a full national search before naming the new HC.

Having been a former Orange guard who has ever been on JB’s staff is NOT a prerequisite.

100% in agreement, across the board.

I think [my opinion only] that the only way a current member of the staff comes close to landing the job is if JB pulls that type of 11th hour shenanigan. And then, it will be an interim tag while JW conducts a thorough search.

The scenario Gmac ends up as HC:

-Autry leaves in the next couple seasons for his own gig.
-Gmac is elevated to associate HC
-JB quits in October or November of 2023
-Wildhack is forced to name Gmac as the season has already started and no one else is available.

This is exactly how Greg Gard became the coach of Wisconsin.
Honestly if JB is going to try and shoehorn his replacement the Greg Gard way then Autry shouldn’t ever leave till JB retires.

Whatever job Autry would get < SU job.

Nobody knows who will be next coach or how long before we look for a new coach.Both Red and Gmac could be at other schools by the time the search starts.If it was to happen today I’m sure JB would have his own pick, but that might not be who ends up with the job.
Right but if JB actually pulled the I want GMac as HCIW and I believe he did because I trust who said then if I am Autry I am like WT bleep.

Juwan Howard has Phil Martelli handling any Xs and Os he can’t handle.
Michigan has the number 1 recruiting class next year.
Recruiting is bigger than Xs and Os.
I only said Murphy because he is a better candidate than GMac.

Nobody has a clue how good GMac is Xs and Os we have people saying what they have heard but it’s not like really anything.

Thus all we got as fans to evaluate GMac on is recruiting.

If the candidate is internal it should be Autry over GMac. Hell we can consider Hopkins internal he should be first then.
I take it you don’t like GMAC, but you won’t be making the decision. JW will hire who he thinks is the best candidate.

I take it you don’t like GMAC, but you won’t be making the decision. JW will hire who he thinks is the best candidate.
I don’t dislike him honestly.
I just don’t want anything to do with him as the next SU HC.

Right but if JB actually pulled the I want GMac as HCIW and I believe he did because I trust who said then if I am Autry I am like WT bleep.
Happens every day in life where a more qualified guy gets the shaft.JB would surely do what he thinks is best for the program and if he thought Gmac was a better fit to take over so be it. Doesn’t mean he would get the job, but I would think it would up Gmac’s chances tremendously.

Happens every day in life where a more qualified guy gets the shaft.JB would surely do what he thinks is best for the program and if he thought Gmac was a better fit to take over so be it. Doesn’t mean he would get the job, but I would think it would up Gmac’s chances tremendously.
JB contradicts himself a lot.
2003 JB would switch to man to man when the zone would get dissected.
2020 JB won’t ever switch defenses except to put a press on when we are down double digits.

The fact JB would seem to prefer GMac over Autry makes me feel good JW is in charge.

Hop is not stepping up to the plate. His nine game audition at SU was an absolute flop. He’s been terrible two years in a row. The great recruiter has not signed anyone for next year. Even with two lottery picks last year they weren't very good. He hasn’t proved he can recruit or coach since leaving SU. He proved he could recruit under the guidance of JB. The only recruits he’s signed are the ones SU was recruiting. I was hoping he would kill it, but unfortunately there are more questions and concerns now than before he took the Washington job. He’s a huge gamble if he becomes the next SU head coach. I’m hoping he turns things around with the Huskies, but I’m not holding my breath. JB never had a losing season and Hop is about to have two in four years.

I agree 144%.
JW is JB’s boss. Period.

Now, JB can somewhat force Wildhack’s hand via the timing of his retirement, which could prompt one of the current staff (spoiler - Red, NOT GMac) to be “interim HC”, which effectively gives him a chance to earn the job via performance that season.

JW is smart and savvy.
He’s likely already got his own shortlist of potential targets in mind, and will almost certainly do a full national search before naming the new HC.

Having been a former Orange guard who has ever been on JB’s staff is NOT a prerequisite.
of course this all assumes that jw outlasts jb . . .

Good post, and I generally agree. However, the part I've bolded in your post I have to disagree with. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, and I won't rehash what I've already said in a few other posts in this thread, but it's just being a tad naive to portray a coach of JB stature in a situation like this as simply acquiescing to the AD and "staying in his lane." Frankly, that's just not going to happen if it becomes apparent to JB that either his preference won't be honored or if the preference of the AD isn't to his liking.
Fair enough, I hear what you're saying. I don't think JW would tell JB to stay in his lane and I do think JW would include JB in his thought process and get Jim's thoughts. I do agree that former players will be given a chance to share inputs with JW as well. JW strikes me as someone who is collaborative in getting people's inputs.

The scenario Gmac ends up as HC:

-Autry leaves in the next couple seasons for his own gig.
-Gmac is elevated to associate HC
-JB quits in October or November of 2023
-Wildhack is forced to name Gmac as the season has already started and no one else is available.

This is exactly how Greg Gard became the coach of Wisconsin.
Similar to what happened at UConn with Ollie

Hop is not stepping up to the plate. His nine game audition at SU was an absolute flop. He’s been terrible two years in a row. The great recruiter has not signed anyone for next year. Even with two lottery picks last year they weren't very good. He hasn’t proved he can recruit or coach since leaving SU. He proved he could recruit under the guidance of JB. The only recruits he’s signed are the ones SU was recruiting. I was hoping he would kill it, but unfortunately there are more questions and concerns now than before he took the Washington job. He’s a huge gamble if he becomes the next SU head coach. I’m hoping he turns things around with the Huskies, but I’m not holding my breath. JB never had a losing season and Hop is about to have two in four years.

Really makes you think.

Imo

JB contradicts himself a lot.
2003 JB would switch to man to man when the zone would get dissected.
2020 JB won’t ever switch defenses except to put a press on when we are down double digits.

The fact JB would seem to prefer GMac over Autry makes me feel good JW is in charge.
From what I have been told, there is NO question that JW will make the HC hire whenever JB finally steps down. If it is a forced timing issue, there will most likely need to be an "interim" HC followed by a search for the best candidate. There is also a clear sense that Buddy's graduation is not necessarily when JB will retire.

One common theme I think everyone here is suggesting, if Red or Gerry are to be the next HC, they should try to get some HC experience elsewhere. That makes sense.

But, is there enough time for them to do that?

I’m not sure if Hop’s recent struggles at Washington will influence the assistants at all if they think they’re next in line, but it’s something to think about. You don’t want to venture out on your own, then struggle and lose out on what may be your “dream job”.

One common theme I think everyone here is suggesting, if Red or Gerry are to be the next HC, they should try to get some HC experience elsewhere. That makes sense.

But, is there enough time for them to do that?

I’m not sure if Hop’s recent struggles at Washington will influence the assistants at all if they think they’re next in line, but it’s something to think about. You don’t want to venture out on your own, then struggle and lose out on what may be your “dream job”.
JB isn’t going to retire in the next 2 years.
That would give any current assistant the time to show what they got as their own guy.

I think if you are GMac and apparently the AD said no to you becoming HCIW and you want this SU HC job then leaving will not cause you harm. If you think staying is your only way to get the job then you shouldn’t get the job to begin with.

Think you have some bad info.

not i; i don't think it is necessary at all. i think a red autry or a jason hart could probably step into a p5 job and have as good a shot at succeeding there as could any mid-major coach looking to step up. there are plenty of examples of assistants going straight to hc & doing well, as well as plenty of examples of experienced hcs face planting.

there is no perfect, fool proof model. athletic directors come up with whatever process they like, hire someone, hope for the best, and live with the results

I agree 144%.
JW is JB’s boss. Period.

JW is smart and savvy.

you mean force JWs hand a second time

not i; i don't think it is necessary at all. i think a red autry or a jason hart could probably step into a p5 job and have as good a shot at succeeding there as could any mid-major coach looking to step up. there are plenty of examples of assistants going straight to hc & doing well, as well as plenty of examples of experienced hcs face planting.

there is no perfect, fool proof model. athletic directors come up with whatever process they like, hire someone, hope for the best, and live with the results
JB had zero HC experience before taking over.

JB had zero HC experience before taking over.

Completely different era. Literally.

How things were done and what worked nearly FIVE DECADES AGO is completely irrelevant now.

Completely different era. Literally.

How things were done and what worked nearly FIVE DECADES AGO is completely irrelevant now.
you know full well that there are plenty of more recent examples

Nobody's mentioning the most important requirement: that the new HC be entertaining on his radio show! :mad:

From the interviews I've heard, Autry or Griff would be a snooze. GMAC breaks down games well and seems to have a sense of humor. :cool:

That said, I'd be surprised if AA doesn't follow JB and that would seem to be the most appropriate choice, assuming this happens in the near future.

The fact is that JB was hired after being an assistant and was almost immediately a success. The era in which that took place I don’t think has much bearing.
a decade ago, the board was lusting after brad stevens as a possible jb replacement.
stevens went directly from assistant to hc
i've always wanted mark few, who went directly from ac to hc
my current favorite is red
i'd love to see jason hart
etc, etc, etc

and, of course, it is going to be gmac

Bernie Fine was the "associate" head coach when Hopkins was named JB's "successor" in 2007.

Gerry's been with the program as a coach for as long as Autry. Autry had no prior coaching experience before coming home to SU. McNamara is the far more decorated and accomplished Orangeman.

I dont have anything against Red. I'm just not sure he is ahead in the pecking order the way some here assume he is, or that he should be.
I think there could be very bad optics to hire the “failed” white head coach over the loyal, black, highly regarded black assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom