Jerami Grant kinda got hosed financially today | Syracusefan.com

Jerami Grant kinda got hosed financially today

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
So if my understanding of the NBA salary stuff is correct (pfft, doubtful) the 76ers were way under the salary floor, ie, teams have to spend a certain amount on player salaries every season. If they don't, at the end of the season every player on the roster gets a bonus check bringing payroll up to that floor.

I'm pretty sure the 76ers acquisition of McGee burned all that space. That may have cost each of their players a solid 500k or so.

I wouldn't be welcoming him to the locker room.

Yep, word is, players get ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS even if drafted dead last so I'm sure he's fine.

So if my understanding of the NBA salary stuff is correct (pfft, doubtful) the 76ers were way under the salary floor, ie, teams have to spend a certain amount on player salaries every season. If they don't, at the end of the season every player on the roster gets a bonus check bringing payroll up to that floor.

I'm pretty sure the 76ers acquisition of McGee burned all that space. That may have cost each of their players a solid 500k or so.

I wouldn't be welcoming him to the locker room.
Think it's divided equally or in proportion to base salary? I'd say the latter is more equitable. Who knows, though.

Think it's divided equally or in proportion to base salary? I'd say the latter is more equitable. Who knows, though.
I have no idea. I think it's divided equally though.

That would have been consistent with my understanding too -- that Jerami was getting a nice cut at year end.

A few things I read yesterday elsewhere made me confused, although there is no doubt that a shortfall below the floor has to be repaid to the players.

1. There is some debate as to whether McGee's full salary or just his remaining salary counts again the floor payment calculation. While the tax works this way (i.e ending salary of team), the floor apparently works differently according to some (but not all). So if it's only what the Sixers actually pay, Mcgee only takes about $4M, Grant still gets a nice little check at year end.

2. I also read that the payout at the end is distributed equally to all NBA players, not just the Sixers. That would basically cut the cheque to a Sixers player by about 96%. But once again this was speculation and nothing 100%

That would have been consistent with my understanding too -- that Jerami was getting a nice cut at year end.

A few things I read yesterday elsewhere made me confused, although there is no doubt that a shortfall below the floor has to be repaid to the players.

1. There is some debate as to whether McGee's full salary or just his remaining salary counts again the floor payment calculation. While the tax works this way (i.e ending salary of team), the floor apparently works differently according to some (but not all). So if it's only what the Sixers actually pay, Mcgee only takes about $4M, Grant still gets a nice little check at year end.

2. I also read that the payout at the end is distributed equally to all NBA players, not just the Sixers. That would basically cut the cheque to a Sixers player by about 96%. But once again this was speculation and nothing 100%
Whoa, really? All NBA players? That's... weird.

The shortfall is based on the team salary as of the team’s last regular season game, but the distribution comes after the league’s audit in July The union informs the league of its proposed distribution within 30 days after the audit, and the team has 10 days after receiving the proposal to distribute the money. There is no set rule for how the money is distributed – the CBA just says “…pro rata or in accordance with such other formula as may be reasonably determined by the Players Association.”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/08/nba-philadelphia-76ers-sixers-salary-cap-floor